“What a treat!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Ashland
Southern Oregon
“What a treat!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I am a business traveler. Almost 10 years I have traveled all cities in Oregon, and I have the choice of any hotel in any town. Same goes for restaurants.
Most hotels I stay in i wish could be more like home. When I stay at the Ashland Springs Hotel, I wish home could be more like it. I have stayed at this hotel for about 3 years and every time I enjoy my stay very much, it truely is a treat. Great location,comfortable beds, and the Larks Restaurant serves food with attention to detail, chef Damon takes pride in finding the freshest local ingrediants.
All of the staff has been gracious, calm, and efficient. I really think the night watchman is hilarious!!! If you are traveling in southern Oregon there is no other place as unique as this hotel.

• Liked — The lobby
  • Disliked — people who call to make a reservation during peak checkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I made my reservation by telephone on October 12, 2007, for July 3,4 and 5 of 2008. I received a letter with my confirmaton number. On June 26, I received another letter "looking forward to having us as our guest", saying to please review the reservation if any changes need to be made.

We arrived on July 3, and were told by a very uninterested young clerk named David, that our reservations had been cancelled by phone. He didn't know when this happened nor did he have any paper work to indicate this had taken place. He said there were no rooms available and we would have to go some where else. Since this was the 4th of July weekend, space was extremely difficult to find. No one had any explanation as to why I received a confirming letter just last week, and needless to say, I was very upset and have no plans to stay there again, though we go to Ashland every year, and also will tell our experience to others.

• Liked — Location would have been great if not cancelled
  • Disliked — Attitude of clerk at front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, Ca.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

Booked room six months in advance for wedding in Ashland. When we arrived for a three night stay, we were put in a tiny room without many of the amenities listed on the Ashland Springs website. Contacted front desk and was told hotel was sold out with no other rooms available. While waiting in the lobby, two walk-ups came in and asked if any rooms were available. Shockingly to us, they were given a room! And, not just any room, but a room that was quoted $30.00 cheaper! We approached the clerk, asked for the shift manager, and presto chango, a larger room with some of the advertised amenities appeared! The hotel is beautiful. The lobby is beautiful. The pictures of the rooms on their website are misleading. There are different amenities in different rooms. Some of the other reviews we read stated that the beds were very, very comfortable. I don't know where these other travelers have stayed before, but if they think the beds at the Ashland Springs Hotel are that comfortable, they must think that the beds at Motel 6 are great also! No offense, but I think on our next trip to Ashland, Oregon, we will stay in one of the many fine downtown Best Western Bard's Inn's. Some of our wedding party stayed in them and when we went to visit their rooms, we were very impressed with the size, cleanliness, amentities, price and locations in the downtown area.

• Liked — The fresh scones at the continental breakfast
  • Disliked — The room flucuation concerning size and amentities for the same price.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

This historial building in downtown Ashland, Oregon is stunning. The grandeur of the decor is breathtaking. There is european elegance in the chandeliers, potted ferns, ceiling fans, bamboo mirrors, huge armoire, high ceilings and cushy bed linens that takes you away to a quiet, peaceful state of mind. The sweeping views from the nine storied building of this gem of a city tucked in the green hills of Southern Oregon is awe inspiring. The food is fabulous....how many times can you call a continental breakfast in a hotel THAT?! It is like being swept away to the life of a world traveler; My dream would be to sit in the corner of that room watching the city unfold beneath me, and write a novel. Do yourself a favor and visit this wonderful place.

• Liked — The fabulous view, huge bed, wonderful shower. Elegant simple decor.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

The location is fantastic, smack dab in the center of the shopping area. Very close to the park also.
The front lobby was glorious. The rooms on the other hand were just tiny. We stayed at a motel in Bend for half the price with double the size and many more amenities.
Only a few feet distance between the bed and the wall. No coffee making facilities.

• Liked — location, lobby
  • Disliked — room size and price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

The reviews on this hotel thus far appeared to me as mostly accurate, and the wireless is fixed. We enjoyed nearly everything about this property, here's why:

I pestered the front desk (anonymously) on at least 4 occasions with questions about "a swimming pool?" (no) an exercise room (no) wireless? (yes!) a DVD player (no) and some promotional offers (yes!) and they were polite and personable every call. There was a young man at the front desk named Craig who I never met but did a wonderful job of patiently answering all my phone questions.

Check in was a breeze. Employees were friendly, courteous paying attention and accountable. Isn't that a rare find??? The lobby is beautiful with original stained glass windows, and old world styling.

Room 816, a corner room on the 8th floor we found to be immaculate and superb with a nice view of the valley. I looked hard for dirt or wear and tear - couldn't find anything. Fresh!!!

There were nice touches in the room, including a flat panel display and some comforts.

Breakfast had plenty, the hotel was spotless and the location perfect.

We did a "Romance Package" and the coupons were indeed happily accepted at many of the finer restaurants of the area.

The Hotel's restaurant, Larks, was pleasant and delicious.

On the down side - some minor notes:

I had wished for some fresh air in the room but the windows are inoperable - on the 8th floor perhaps understandably so.

The bed sagged toward the middle - on the border of needing replaced, but still comfy.

Our quilt had a dirty spot on day one and was replaced upon request. I wouldn't mention it but some other review noticed the something similar.

And (I feel) perhaps most importantly - the parking area behind the hotel accesses the hotel on the third floor's south side via a hallway. Adjacent to that hallway would not be a hospitable place to stay due to the extra traffic and noise of baggage. Insist on staying elsewhere.

Aren't you glad you read TripAdvisor? !!!!

• Liked — It is about percieved value for me - this one rates.
  • Disliked — Who ordered snow on spring break anyway????
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

The feel of the great Raffles hotel in Singapore. Yes, small room, but we only paid $79. Great beds, nice services, good restaurant (Larks), but their wireless internet is something they could not fix during the three days I stayed there. Had to go to the local bookstore. Small thing to fix you would think..............

• Liked — downtown location, ambiance
  • Disliked — wiresless internet was useless
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ashland Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!