“Charming historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Sonoma County
“Charming historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

For me the decor is spot on. I feel like I've stepped back in time when walking into the place. The lobby area is especially enjoyable and inviting. The owners did a fabulous job restoring this hotel in a way that's appropriate for the building's age and architecture. For that reason I'm willing to put up with a small, cramped room and still give it a 4-star rating. If you need lots of space in your room, this might not be the place for you, unless you're willing to pay a premium price for their top category. The very convenient location and ample free parking also factored into my rating.

My mother and I shared a small room furnished with 2 double beds, a petite desk and chair, a small upholstered armchair, and an armoire containing the tv. Of the seven hotels we stayed in on our recent road trip, this was the only one that did not provide an in-room safe (also the smallest room we stayed in and one of the most expensive). However, the bathroom had the best lighting of all our hotels. Good lighting is one of my pet peeves, so I did appreciate the useful, bright lighting in the bathroom. Also, this was one of the most comfortable beds on the trip. The room was small, but I felt pampered because of the super-comfy beds, bathrobes and upgraded toiletries.

It was difficult to find space for 2 suitcase racks. I had to put one in front of the desk, basically rendering it unusable. In the bathroom there's not much counter space. In keeping with the historic style, the bathroom had a pedestal-type sink with a glass shelf above it. The sink is curious because it's not really a pedestal sink (see my picture). It's attached to the wall with exposed pipes below which are covered with ugly black bags. It was the ugliest thing I saw in a room on this trip -- ironic for such a lovely hotel.

In the evening there were cookies, coffee, tea, lemonade and popcorn available in the mezzanine overlooking the lobby. The continental breakfast is served in a very pleasant dining room. We wanted to have dinner there the night we arrived, but it was already booked up. I've stayed at this hotel three times over the past 10 years and I've never been able to experience their restaurant -- either because it was closed, booked, or the timing wasn't right.

I have a suggestion for the hotel: install a curved rod for the shower curtain and put a small towel bar next to the sink. Two easy, inexpensive ways to increase the comfort and convenience in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Parking lot access is on the 3rd floor. A room near this door might be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I don't understand how this hotel has got such good reviews. When we checked in we had less then helpful service. Our room was small and dirty. There was black mold above the shower and big black marks all over our headboard. The decor is old and worn, even the toliet seat has been worn through. There is a very cold draft in the bathroom and The fridge made a horrible noisy all night. I'm sure there would be better accomadation in this area.

• Stayed September 2013
Portland Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We've stayed at the Ashland Springs Hotel many times (and even back to years gone by when it was the Mark Anthony). We love to go back as often as we can. Everything is good about this hotel -- the staff, the décor, the comfortable rooms (although, admittedly, a bit small). I especially love the use of "Monet yellow" everywhere -- walls, draperies, furniture -- it's elegant and comforting at the same time.
The best thing about the hotel is its location. Right in the middle of downtown Ashland, & only a short block to the central plaza of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. There are great restaurants all around town, including the hotel's own Lark Home Kitchen Cuisine. Good shopping in downtown Ashland, too. We always run out of time!
There are a couple other very upscale (& more expensive) hotels in Ashland, which we haven't tried, and of course numerous B&B's. But I think I will always be of the opinion that the Ashland Springs Hotel just might be the best place to stay in this delightful little town!

Room Tip: 1 - Book a King room & you will get a little more floor space. 2 - Free parking in the back lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Always wanted to stay here and did this time. Our first room was not too nice - right next to the aircon plant, but we complained and next two nights we were upgraded to a corner suite. Can't fault that.

Room Tip: Oops. No pool. Ignore that in my rating.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kirkland, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My rating of this lovely hotel in the fall of 2012 was in error. I mistakenly rated it 1 star, when it is a wonderful old hotel right in the midst of the Shakespeare Festival. The location couldn't be better and the service was wonderful. I don't know what happened when I entered the stars, but this is a GREAT hotel!

Room Tip: Sorry. Unable to correct my rating, but the swimming pool is NOT terrible, I don't think there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was our first trip to Ashland, and this our first stay at the Ashland Springs hotel. A gorgeous old building, and nicely updated, so it didn't feel antiquated, just older. The lobby, with it's potted palms, ceiling fans and naturalist exhibits just needed Sidney Greenstreet in a wicker chair to be complete. The continental breakfast in the morning was excellent, and the late night snack with tea, lemonade and cookies was a really nice touch.

The room itself was in the back of the hotel, with a decent, though not stellar view. While the room was small-ish (not unexpected given the age of the building) the queen-sized bed was comfortable, the bathroom was modern and worked great, and everything was spotless. Slept wonderfully, despite all the ash in the air from the nearby forest fires.

The front desk staff and concierge were very helpful with restaurant tips, Shakespeare Festival info and other stuff to do. Would return here in a heart-beat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is an older building that has been fairly modenized without causing it to lose its historic charm. Also probably the nicest hotel in the area although I have only been twice. Conveniently located in downtown but close enough to the forest to walk and take a run through it. The front desk staff was incredibly polite and helpful. Also has great views from the upper floor rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business