“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Garden Valley, California
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I read all the reviews about the hotel before reserving our room. I could tell by the pictures that the standard room was very small so reserved a deluxe king room. We arrived early and were told our room was not ready yet, which was understandable, but they gave us a key to get into to the parking lot and upgraded us to a beautiful corner room on the 8th floor. It was beautiful room with wonderful views and lovely morning sun. The staff is wonderful, and this hotel has probably the best service I have ever had at any 5 star hotel. We had a problem with the Wi-Fi, they were up to our room to fix the problem in less than 5 minutes, he arranged for me to use the wi-fi on the 9th floor since the 8th floor was having a problem. What service. The restaurant had the best food we had in all of Ashland. The Fried Chicken is to die for, and I hate boneless skinless chicken breasts with a passion, but this was very moist and my husband almost killed me for stealing bites from his plate. All and all we cannot wait to go back. What a wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Philomath, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Ashland Springs Hotel is a charming vintage hotel with friendly, helpful staff. Easy to find since it is the tallest building in town and convenient for those attending the Shakespeare Festival plays--the venue is right next door.

Renton, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

During my stay, I expected to see Basil Fawlty appear at any moment. I can't contain my dissapointment . The room (#412) was so small that you couldn't open the bathroom door and closet door at the same time. There was not even room for a dresser or chest of drawers. At $170 for the night it was absolutely outrageous. The continental breakfast came with tasteless oatmeal and a cup of coffee filled with coffee grounds. The "dining tables" are simple rattan side tables that are virtually impossible to sit at and eat, leaving no place to put ones legs. After spilling my coffee twice trying to find a proper seating position, I finally gave up. The hallway going to my room was resplendent with a mop bucket propped against the wall that apparently stayed there all night. When I expressed my disappointment upon checkout, the desk clerk stated, "yes, your room is one of the smallest...". I can't believe this is the same hotel that others have described as "great".

In fairness, I emailed this information to the hotel manager, who promptly sent the following response:
"I am sorry to hear of your disappointing stay. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback to us so we can improve. I know the room you stayed in is small and we promote it as our boutique queen room. Unfortunately, because the hotel is historic we have several rooms that our small and we have tried to improve the experience in the guest room. I am sorry you did not find it to meet your expectations. I value your feedback regarding the continental breakfast. This is not the type of feedback we usually receive so I will follow up to see what happened. Again, I apologize that you had a poor experience at the Ashland Springs Hotel. I have refunded your stay and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future".

Windsor, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

GREAT Place to stay while in Ashland. Staff was very friendly and personable. It was our 27th Anniversary and they upgraded us to a corner room with a fabulous view. They even had an anniversary card signed by the staff waiting in our room. This was our second time staying at this hotel and would fully recommend it to anyone staying in Ashland. They also offer a late night snack for those coming in late from the theatres near by.

Sun City West Az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed 3 days at this hotel and the location is it's best asset. The room we had was a good size because we ask for a larger room with two beds and a sitting area - I understand a lot of the rooms are small. Beds were comfortable and we had lots of light as it was a corner room with sitting area. The breakfast was not much - and if you wanted a newspaper you had to get to the lobby by 7:00 or they were gone. We did have free internet and free parking. The restaurant attached to the hotel was very good - had a great dinner there the night of our arrival. This hotel is in walking distance of all events in Ashland. I would recommend the hotel but beware of room size and you want to go out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sitting area
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Piedmont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a historic hotel right in the center of Ashland - walking distance to all the entertainment and good restaurants. It's been renovated and is very attractive. The lobby is a wonderful example of its era and there's plenty of free parking. The downsides are that (1) its rooms are very small, consistent with what would be expected in a hotel from 1925, (2) the breakfast is mediocre and somewhat limited, (3) the wi-fi is spotty, (4) maintenance is a continuing issue - the shower head broke while I was there. The staff tries very hard to be helpful but they are working with a limiting facility.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Morris, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This hotel was built in 1925 and is listed in the historic hotels of America. This property is very ornate. The rooms are nice but small. Ask for a corner room overlooking the valley. Great locaton in the center of town. The staff is very helpful. A continental breakfast is included and is very good. If you like historic properties look no further.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ashland Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!