“Try this quiet gem....off the main streets of Ashland” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 135 Restaurants in Ashland
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nanaimo
“Try this quiet gem....off the main streets of Ashland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Soup of the Day , I asked ...."Watercress soup with truffle oil.....try it , I'm sure you'll enjoy" said the server.....he wasnt wrong .....creamy delicious watercress flavour , occasional hits from the oil , and the unexpected bonus of flakes of crispy fried onion.
I spotted duck breast on the menu , and as my good (chef) friend is a duck afficionado I thought I would try it to compare with her stellar dish ......sliced duck breast , with an accompanying shredded duck ravioli , mash , and sharp blackcurrant chutney....not quite my friend's superlative Aylesbury offering , but a close-run thing...it was lip-smacking good , but the portion size a little small a la 'nouvelle cuisine' .
I also ate here some time ago , and remember being suitably impressed , but forgot to write it up on Tripadvisor , so I hope this makes ammends......this is a high quality kitchen , and worth seeking out , as it is off the main streets of central Ashland , in an area of residential historic homes and offices , all renovated to an eye-catching high standard.

Visited March 2013

Spokane, Washington
“Revisit to Coquina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

On our trip south for the winter we make a special effort to stay over in Ashland, OR both ways and eat at Coquina. I still maintain this is best restaurant I have eaten in for a long time. The menu is always changed to have the best local products. I had fresh wild sturgeon that was amazing and certainly confimed my earlier review. We had dinner with a couple who eat a lot in San Francisco's best restaurants and they said this place was as good or better than anything in SF.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Victoria
“Great Group Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

On our last night in Ashland we dined at Coquina at the suggestion of the innkeepers at the Winchester. We were a party of 9 which can sometimes make for a dining challenge but not tonight. The service was friendly and the food delivery efficient and timely.

Highlights included the tonque in cheek "Pork & Beans" appy - Pork belly and a white bean cake (Oh so good) and the prosciutto wrapped sturgeon. The Scallop main course got raves as did the ribeye. The rabbit raviolis' were rich and tasty ...

Deserts were great and creative - Sea Urchin ice cream with bacon(?) fritters was the special. Very daring but it worked!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashland, Oregon
“Amazing food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We eat out very often all over the west coast and we throughly enjoyed our meal at Coquina. The ribeye was excellent and perfectly cooked and the sturgeon was by far the best we have ever had. Moist and delicious. We definitely will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashland, Oregon
“Picked up their game”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Living in Ashland, we have our pick anytime of any of the town's superb restaurants. We have slowly gravitated to Coquina as our list topper, from among a dozen premier restaurants. Past reviews have dinged Coquina for slow service, although the food has always been regarded as superb in all aspects. They have now picked up their service game, and can efficiently move you through 3-4 courses in time for a play -- If you can find the "A" St. site. Last night we three enjoyed the excellent sturgeon and scallops, while my wife resorted to two appetizers and the renowned beet salad. My kids have also come to prefer Coquina. Excellent wine selection, and no short pours here. Nothing negative to consider.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Coquina? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Coquina, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.