“Down the block from the theater” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Contemporary, Pacific Rim
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Mountain View, California
“Down the block from the theater”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Sushi, seaweed salad and agedashi tofu are my summer Japanese restaurant staples and they serve cucumber water on a hot night! Genius! Everything was good. We had the Taroko roll which came to us on a plate of fire although I'm sure that's just for show. It was fun to watch. This place is great if you are craving Japanese food. If you are coming from San Francisco, like me, you may just have high expectations of Japanese food and Taroko is comparatively average.

Visited August 2012

Ashland, Oregon
“Sushi is good, entrees lacking flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We have been here numerous times for their sushi and we're very happy with the experience, but we came here with some family and had the about 5 entrees and we were not happy about any of them. The flavor was lacking in all of them, but the service was great. We will go back for the sushi, but we will stay away from the entrees.

Visited June 2012
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Cool contemporary sushi place, perfect for happy hour or apps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sushi bar, cool interior, we sat at prep bar and watched chefs prepare sashimi and make rolls. Has a nice sake list. We had HH items: a spicy tuna roll and shrimp tempura roll. I though they were just OK but my wife really enjoyed the tempura roll. The back of the place is a bit more nightclubby, big bar, blue lights...

Visited July 2012
Kirkland, Washington
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not really sure what I expected, but this exceeded all expectations I may or may not have had! Service was great, location was excellent, atmosphere was very nice, for a casual place. I was blown away by the food! The Kung Pao Tofu was awesome! I wish I knew how to cook tofu like that, because it was quite possibly the best I've ever had. I also had the Zombie roll which was very good. I would like to come back here on an evening when I could enjoy the bar area in the back. Looks like a cool party spot!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Washington
“Thoroughly Enjoyable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stopped in for lunch at Taroko on a recent road trip from Washington to California. The space was a lot larger than I expected from the outside and decorated very modernly. I was impressed with the atmosphere and liked it right away. We were greeted immediately at the door and the service turned out to be fantastic. Our order was taken promptly and our water glasses were constantly filled (this is a big plus because I drink a lot of water)! We had decided to sit in the back area (bar) for privacy and walking through I couldn't help but to notice how lovely the food looked on everyone's tables. Great presentation! We ended up sharing a salad and Kung Pao Tofu and my husband ordered a sushi roll (I can't remember what kind). The salad was seriously delicious! We didn't finish the whole thing and I would have gotten it to go if we didn't have such a long, hot drive ahead of us without a cooler to put it in. The Kung Pao Tofu was tasty too! I definitely wasn't disappointed! I was also pleasantly surprised to see a number of other vegetarian dishes on the menu and would gladly stop in again to try them out next time we're in Ashland! After our lunch we walked a few doors down and picked up coffee drinks from a walk up window for Noble Coffee. Highly recommended as well for a coffee fix on the go!

• Visited July 2012