“Spartan and adequate but overpriced.” 3 of 5 stars

Ashland Motel
1145 Siskiyou Boulevard, Ashland, OR 97520   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
santa cruz
“Spartan and adequate but overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Yes it served its purpose, a stop on a road trip. It's your basic 60s motel updated to seem modern. It was clean and the tiled shower was nice. Unplugged all the heater, fridge as they were noisy. There was nothing on the walls, pretty spartan decor, basically no love. We were able to walk to town and had a great meal at Pasta Piatti.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I really like this place. I have stayed here before, and I come back because it's in a great location, it's walking distance to downtown, it's family owned, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and it's affordable. The rooms I have stayed in are definitely no-frills, but they are cute and comfortable nonetheless.

However, on my last stay, the room just felt dirty. The linens and towels and bathroom fixtures all seemed clean enough, but upon close inspection, the rest of the room looked as though it had been overlooked for quite some time. The floors needed to be mopped, the baseboards and window sills were covered with a thick layer of dust, and it looked as though housekeeping had not checked behind the bathroom door in a very long time. We stayed for two nights, and didn't really start noticing the dirt until the second day. It wasn't dirty enough to warrant switching rooms, but we did leave with an overall feeling of ewwww.

If I were to consider all my visits to the Ashland Motel, I would give it 4 stars, but because of this last stay, I have to knock it down to 3. This is something that is easily remedied by the staff, and I hope they take notice because I really like the motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Ashland Motel is a small, family run, no-nonsense, clean, quiet, pet friendly motel on the main road in Ashland, Oregon. The clean wooden floors, walk-in tiled shower and comfortable beds are remarkable, especially for the reasonable price. It is a perfect motel to use as your base of operations in this lovely area; it is within walking distance of the charming town and the Shakespeare Festival activities. If you care to sit in your room or have spa services with room service, look elsewhere. However, if you choose to enjoy the outdoor motel pool, walk your pets in grassy areas and embrace the excellent local activities and restaurants...you cannot do better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I wasn't able to do any research on motels/hotels before we opted to stay here. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I was with my father, sister and brother-in-law. My father had brought his dog with us and they had no problems allowing her to stay with us. I loved Ashland, and this motel isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but we were okay with that. It was clean, beds were comfortable and the location was convenient. I think it has already been mentioned but the interior had recently been redone. It looked very nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brookings, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Older motel is across the street from SOU, but it's a long hike to downtown and OSF. Several different room layouts; ours felt small with the king bed. Furniture is contemporary spartan. Bathroom small, but a lovely tiled shower. Outdoor pool appreciated on a hot day. There's a small grassy plot with a picnic table. Restaurant next door is a local favorite: get there early or be prepared to wait.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

With the generic name "Ashland Motel" you'd think that this would be an OK place, but it is really great. They have done many updates - Pergo floors, IKEA-style furniture, excellent mosaic tiled walk-in shower. They use duvet covers on their bedding, which I like, it seems more hygienic that the usual bedspreads. I've stayed there three separate times, and have liked it each time. One great aspect is that right next door is Morning Glory Cafe, with the best breakfasts ever!

Drawbacks to Ashland Motel: Our "queen suite" had a futon in the small living space and then two queens in a separate room. The futon was uncomfortable to sit on, and I'm sure it would have been terrible to sleep on. Its cover was black with stains on it, so their futon situation needs an upgrade. The air conditioner was very loud, we turned it on briefly and had to turn it off because I don't think we could have slept with it on. Fortunately, it cooled off pretty quickly outside, so we didn't need the AC. There are vertical blinds on the windows, and there are lights on all night outside. The vertical blinds don't keep the light out, so it would be great if they installed black-out shades.

The drawbacks would not keep me from staying here again, just small points, really.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Northern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is just across from SOU, next to Morning Glory Cafe, within walking distance to lots of things; thrift stores, boutiques, and then of course the center of town with Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Theatre courtyards, river walk, restaurants and all that good stuff. The renovation they did on the rooms is amazing. Beautiful hardwood floors, gorgeous pebble/slate showers, we were delighted! And we didn't want to get out of the comfy voluptuous bed!! My daughter and I have been coming to Ashland for 20 years and were happy to find our new favorite place to stay....reasonable prices and great pool too! In fact I gave her a graduation gift of a trip there this year!

Room Tip: We had a top floor room, which afforded us no people walking overhead. Haven't had a ground flo...