“Great food, beautiful lodge, noisy dining” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 136 Restaurants in Ashland
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Eagle Point, Oregon
“Great food, beautiful lodge, noisy dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went to Callahan's on a Friday evening on the way home from California. We have been there once for lunch since it has been re-built and found it to be a lovely quiet time to rest and visit with each other. Friday evening not so much. There is entertainment sitting right next to the diners and the seating is tight. Too loud to visit well and relax. The food was good, though the bread was grocery store quality. The vegetarian lasagna was wonderful. Their pasta sauce is quite good. Salad was average. My husband was unimpressed with his ground beef steak, said it was blah. The lodge is beautiful. Probably won't go there again on a Friday night, but it depends what you are looking for.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Yreka, California
“Find a different location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went to the New Years Eve special, room, dinner and party, $375.00 Very dissapointing. Meals were average, service was terrible, the kind of service you would expect from a fast food restaurant. It was also my birthday, when my wife asked about a birthday dessert, the waitress just said they had a slice of chocolate cake "want one" Not even a "Happy Birthday". Went to the "party" a D.J. who didn't even talk just played records whlie the T.V. ran in the forground with a football game playing, that was more interesting than the party. They had water to drink and small meatballs and chicken wing for appetizers. After leaving the "Party", we returned to the room to enjoy the jacuzzi, after filling it and getting in we pushed the on button, did not work, and of course it couldn't be fixed. Got out and put on the nice robe they provide, it had a hole in the armpit. One or two of these incidents I could overlook, but when you put them all together it made for a very dissapointing New Years Eve and Birthday cellebration. The front desk person gave us a "$25 " refund on a $375.00 bill. Wow. I wrote to Mr Bregquist over a month ago, No response, not even a "Sorry" Will not return. Not just because or the poor evening, but because of the lack of concern from the owners.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashland, Oregon
“Surprise Birthday Dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

For my last birthday, my wife surprised me with dinner at Callahan's. Since my birthday was on a Wednesday she wanted a place which had live music... Callahan's had a classical guitarist who was wonderful! Meals were excellent so whole evening was perfect! Highly recommend!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Texas
“Nice Restaurant Setting, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a review of the restaurant, not the lodge. We had lunch at this restaurant. The restaurant is easy to get to, just off of Interstate 5. The setting is pleasant. They were not very busy at all when we ate there. Service was fast and efficient. We both had wraps that were well done and taste. We would not go out of our way to eat there, but it is a solid lunch place.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Medford, Oregon
“worst ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

O.K. I had stopped going to Callahans years ago because of the quality of the food. Famous for the less then mediocre diner food at outrageous prices. It was approximately 10-11 months ago I was talked back into trying Callahans by a co-worker under the guise that there was a new Chef and the food had dramatically improved. Less then optimistic I ventured forth and gave an old institution another chance. I was blown away. This was back in the end of March or beginning of April 2011 I cant remember exactely when, I was sitting and enjoying one of the best meals I have had in ASHLAND. I have seriously been back 2-3 times a month since, alot of times with large parties. However my last 2 recent experiences have been so far less then stelar that it pains me to report. First recent experience evrything was not on par and quite frankly POOR. Chalk it up to bad night!!!! Next experience within a week even worse. My wife and I confronted our friendly server and questioned why the menu had changed so drastically recently and we were told that the Chef of the last 1 1/2 years had left and Callahans was restructuring. Well after all these years we tolerated your food, then we had a small glimpse into quality food coupled and complimenting the ambience of the lodge, now there is no going back. The food has declined dramatically in short period of time but not only that Spagheti and (2) meatballs $21 FOR REAL $21 for spagheti and (2) meatballs. You people are on another palnet. $21 FOR SPAGHETI AND MEATBALLS. It does no good to gouge your customer. I wont ever be returning not only because of the recent quality of the food but $21 FOR SPAGHETI AND (2) MEATBALLS..... WOW

• Visited March 2012