“worst ever” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“worst ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

O.K. I had stopped going to Callahans years ago because of the quality of the food. Famous for the less then mediocre diner food at outrageous prices. It was approximately 10-11 months ago I was talked back into trying Callahans by a co-worker under the guise that there was a new Chef and the food had dramatically improved. Less then optimistic I ventured forth and gave an old institution another chance. I was blown away. This was back in the end of March or beginning of April 2011 I cant remember exactely when, I was sitting and enjoying one of the best meals I have had in ASHLAND. I have seriously been back 2-3 times a month since, alot of times with large parties. However my last 2 recent experiences have been so far less then stelar that it pains me to report. First recent experience evrything was not on par and quite frankly POOR. Chalk it up to bad night!!!! Next experience within a week even worse. My wife and I confronted our friendly server and questioned why the menu had changed so drastically recently and we were told that the Chef of the last 1 1/2 years had left and Callahans was restructuring. Well after all these years we tolerated your food, then we had a small glimpse into quality food coupled and complimenting the ambience of the lodge, now there is no going back. The food has declined dramatically in short period of time but not only that Spagheti and (2) meatballs $21 FOR REAL $21 for spagheti and (2) meatballs. You people are on another palnet. $21 FOR SPAGHETI AND MEATBALLS. It does no good to gouge your customer. I wont ever be returning not only because of the recent quality of the food but $21 FOR SPAGHETI AND (2) MEATBALLS..... WOW

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Medford, Oregon, United States
“Its a Bit Spendy but SO Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My family and I went here for Christmas Eve diner and it was WONDERFUL! It's only about a 20min drive from Ashland and the location is beautiful. The service was great and the food was delicious. The prices were a bit spendy but about the average for such a nice place and very much worth it. I highly recomend it. Great place for a date or special event.

• Visited December 2011
Ashland, Oregon
“Very disappointing. Lacks quality food and service. Relaxing atmosphere but really nothing else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We are local Ashlanders who eat out regularly. We hadn't been up to Callahan's for a few months and needless to say are sorry we made the trip. The atmosphere and music were so nice but it couldn't make up for the terrible service and even worse food. My son ordered spagetti and meatball(yes one tiny one). The meatball, if that's what it was, was so hard that even my husband couldn't cut it. Veal scallopini was terrible. All we can say is sad, sad, sad. I doubt we'll make that mistake again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Medford, Oregon
“Exceptional food & ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

It's a 25 minute drive but has everything: Great food, service, live music, atmosphere,
and a mountain lodge view.

• Visited January 2012
“Wow! Wow! Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We had a fantastic night out at Callahan's. Owners Ron and Donna Bergquist have truly outdone themselves. The lodge is absolutely gorgeous tastefully decorated in upscale country for Christmas. The food was superb, the service excellent and the atmosphere unparalleled all while the fabulous Ken Hart serenaded us on his guitar with all our favorites. One of our most enjoyable nights out EVER. A wonderful deviation from the typical steakhouse evening out. Everyone raved about their food which ranged from filet mignon and ribeye to beef bourguignon and chicken saltimbocca. The deserts were out of this world including my personal favorite the award winning chocolate chile torte (I asked for mine warmed and it was meltingly delicious - yum yum!). Take a walk on the upscale wilderness wild side and visit the remarkable Callahan's.

• Visited December 2011