“Mountain Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 37 Ashland B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, Oregon
“Mountain Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Beautiful grounds in the summer....Food is good too. Really a lovely place for a wedding in the summer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Yreka, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Love the remodel job! True to the original, but better. Rooms were awesome, love the 2nd floor balcony, and the welcome for the dogs!

Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Had a night's stay as a wedding present. Wonderful place. Even though it's close to Interstate 5, you would never know, because it's nestled in among trees, and the ambiance makes you forget about any cars.

Big spacious room, with a nice deck overlooking the Siskiyou mountains. Large jacuzzi tub, big comfortable bed, the room even had a DVD player.

The restaurant served some good dishes, including some unique desserts and northwest-inspired breakfasts.

Staff was very friendly and helped us with any needs.

Besides some live music, there's not too many activities at the lodge, but if you're there for a romantic getaway, it won't matter. Just sit on the deck with a bottle of wine and enjoy the view over southern Oregon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Last week I arrived at Callahan's in the midst of a section hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. While I just had dinner and hiked on, I reviewed the items available to thru-hikers and it is wonderful. This would be a great place to zero day and resupply!

The meal was fabulous, the selection of entrees superb, and the ambience wonderful. Ron and Donna were quite friendly and helpful. When Ron learned I was a hiker, he was quite excited to show me a DVD a thru-hiker had made of a 2011 thru-hike. I watched some of it, and it is really quite good. Be sure to ask Ron to see the DVD when you pass through.

I've also stayed here when visiting Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival. Easy to get to Ashland, great accomodations, and both the dinner and breakfast I had with my family was top-notch.

All in all, this is a great place to stay, whether you're solo, couple, or family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Redmond, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

It is time I share my favorite place of them all to stay. Been here 7or 8 times now and each time renews my appreciation of the special nature of this unique lodge with only 19 rooms. This visit topped them all as the owner's (Ron and Donna) went out of their way to lend my forgetful husband a set of cufflinks and studs for his formal shirt for his 50th H.S. reunion. We hosted a very successful luncheon at Callahan's for the reunion as well which everyone enjoyed. This newly built rustic lodge has solved every aspect of a favorite destination... the rooms are superb with king beds, jaccuzzi tubs, real fireplaces and porches with forest views.... the food is delicious and varied.... Wally's bar is cozy and well stocked.... the town of Ashland is close by for shopping and theater.... and the evening entertainment is a highlight while either Ken or John perform easy listening Americana we all know and love. These two musicians love what they do and it shows. Speaking of loving what they do, the Ron and Donna and their staff make sure each guest has a perfect stay with their personal dedication to this goal which we have experienced each time. My husband and I are already planning our 10th anniversary stay at Callahan's...and we are happy to have found such a gem to become 'regulars' at. Ask for the 'bed and breakfast special" to save a bit and enjoy the food as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful...but you can occasionally hear a truck from distant highway 5 at night...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary here. We found the room very comfortable. Enjoyed the plush robes, the jacuzzi tub and the bath salts that are provided. It was quiet and restful. I was surprised when I looked up and realized that I could see I-5 from our room. There is a water feature just out side the rooms creating soothing sounds of water.
Overall the food was very disappointing. I felt the restaurant staff dismissed us because we had complimentry breakfast vouchers that we part of the price of the room. (Maybe they thought we would not tip.) I enjoyed my breakfast, but my husband's potatoe pancake was cold inside. We had reservations for dinner. My beef stroganoff was full of gristle. His was burgundy beef and lacked flavor. We also had reservations for the Mother's Day Brunch Buffet. We were seated in the middle of the room while window seating remained empty. We were never asked if we would like patio seating. We were ignored. We could not even get our water glasses refilled and other requests went unanswered. The food was not memorable except that we both agreed it was not worth driving up here just for the food.
We are looking forward to our next stay, but will drive down to Ashland to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

a friend who owns a bookstore over the hill went there and spent the night. She said that the food was absolutely to die for, best she's ever had.

Been to Callahan's Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!