“Great Getaway with Outstanding Food and Charming Mountain Ambience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Callahan's Mountain Lodge

You added Callahan's Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Callahan's Mountain Lodge
7100 Old Highway 99 South, Exit 6 on I5, Ashland, OR 97520   |
Ranked #18 of 36 Ashland B&B and Inns
Ashland, Oregon
“Great Getaway with Outstanding Food and Charming Mountain Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

My wife and I cannot say enough good things about Callahan's Lodge. Perfectly delightful in every way. The rooms, the food, the service, the friendliness, the scenery and all the special touches that have gone into Callahan's make for such a perfect getaway experience. We had a wonderful time... first class and we will return again soon! Thank you, Callahan's!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views, two-person hot tubs, and most have wood-burning fireplaces.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

Very comfortable, excellent service, good homemade food, breakfast included. The owner,Ron, even got up early to cook breakfast for us so we could get an early start on the road. We will make this a regular stop!

• Stayed December 2011
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We hosted a dinner for all our employees at the lodge and it was great experience. We staying in one of the 2nd floor rooms and while they are not overly large, they are quite comfortable. We loved the wood burning fireplace and especially the bed - it was really comfortable. The hotel chef prepared a dinner for my group, and it was most excellent. From prime rib to desert, it was all great. There is also something enjoyable about being up in the mountains in the pine trees and cool air that makes work seem far away. Well worth a try.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Global
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Staff at Callahan's Lodge was friendly, and the room was fine, if clearly a motel room retrofitted with more upmarket fittings. There was a hot tub in room, which was enjoyed by boyfriend, who hadn't experienced one before. The white noise of the fountain outside the window effectively masked the noise of the nearby motorway.

We arrived too late for dinner (at about 21.00), so we went to bed fairly ravenous, and looking forward to breakfast, which, in the menu, seemed full of delicious possibilities.

In reality, it was horrible.

In fact, breakfast was so remarkably, disturbingly bad, it destroyed any positive impression of the hotel (to be perfectly fair, we're relatively particular about our food, and were trying to make a point of finding enjoyable meals as much as possible, but still, this was BAD).

A USD25 breakfast voucher issued at check-in covered the cost of breakfast, but, oddly, did not include coffee. This may have been mentioned on the menu, but I only recall a note indicating what was included, and the absence of coffee in that list wasn't something to which I paid particular attention. However, as far as I can recall, every other hotel in which I've stayed (in about half a dozen countries) that included breakfast, included coffee, too. Not only did coffee cost USD2.50 a cup, but it was literally undrinkable, flavourless brown water.
To the best of my recollection, I've never before not drunk a cup of coffee, and I've had some fairly ghastly coffee.

The food was little better: Although the menu suggested delicious possibilities, and the waitress was extremely accommodating about the two omissions I requested, the food left my boyfriend and me utterly miserable. The cook (we were told that the hotel owner cooks the breakfasts) clearly hadn't brought the griddle to a high enough temperature, as our potato cakes were tepid, and soggy with oil, and my steak was barely browned, even though it was cooked to medium. My boyfriend's 'lodge smoked salmon' tasted tinned, and was full of odd slimy grey bits. We mentioned our dissatisfaction with breakfast at the front desk, who promised to mention the matter to the manager, but given the pretensions of the hotel, the breakfast made an unpleasant beginning to our day.

I wish I'd liked the place better, but honestly, it left me feeling a bit ripped off; it's essentially a superficially enhanced, but otherwise run of the mill motel.

Room Tip: I cannot emphasize enough that breakfast should not be eaten here, if you're even slightly parti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011 via mobile

Location location location. Great atmospher/ food/ service/ accomadations. Laid back family style enviornment is a majestic mountain setting. We are from Arkansas and can't believe how nice this place is. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2011
Gresham, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights in August. The bed was comfortable, the towels fluffy and the robes plush. Other amenities were the spa tub and the large bathroom with two sinks. (For us, that is luxury.) Didn't use the fireplace because it was in the 90s during our stay.

The breakfast was very good and we ate on the large deck the second morning. The grounds are well maintained and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We both highly recommend this location.

We went into Ashland a couple of times and even thought the lodge is outside of town, it's a quick drive.

One surprise we had is that the balcony is shared with the suite next door. My wife was outside in her robe when the man next door stepped outside. They were both surprised!

We'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 23. Quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We have stayed here twice. The first time we stayed, we moved rooms because our room filled with smoke from the fireplace, but then our second room did the same thing! If you use their fireplace, do not just light it and expect it to work. You need to rearrange the set up because they don't lay a very good fire. (yes we checked the damper and did all that boy-scout stuff) They were very nice about it though and even gave us a gift card for a second stay. This time, we didn't attempt to make a fire and everything was fine.
One of the most comfy beds anywhere! I believe every room has an in-room hot tub which is awesome. The food is great and they welcome your dog! You get a credit to use towards breakfast and can even use it for room service. Very romantic place. The corner room seemed more secluded and romantic to us.
The trail around the property was in good repair on our first stay but was not maintained well during our second stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are more secluded
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Callahan's Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!