“Fate, Faith, and an Uncanny Experiance” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tony Award-winning Oregon Shakespeare Festival (OSF) is one of the nation's true artistic gems. Home to the largest resident acting company in America in charming downtown Ashland, OSF annually presents 11 plays on three unique stages in rotating repertory from February through October. With tours and fun educational events and an ever-changing summer entertainment on the Green Show stage, OSF is an immersive cultural experience for the whole family that you'll never forget.
Olympia, Washington
“Fate, Faith, and an Uncanny Experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

SPOILER ALERT for White Snake:

My mother loved theater and always wanted to attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. She never made it to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival but this March (2012), about 7 years after her passing, we attended for the first time. Our first play at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival was White Snake.

When we purchased tickets right before the show at the box office they asked for our name and my mother's name popped up on their screen, we told them we were her family and we got our tickets.

White snake is a beautiful play that was just excellent, I really enjoyed the entire show.

But the show was too good. The ending pulled up feelings within me that I didn't expect to feel again and I can not put them into words. It really felt like my mother was speaking to us through the ending of this play. Which I feel is even more remarkable due to the fact that they didn't even have a script for this show they just let it come together naturally. I feel that is why this play had such a strong emotional, uncanny, message for our family.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is a very special place and I will never ever forget White Snake.

Lakewood, WA
18 attraction reviews
“The Oregon Shakespeare Festival's Production of Romeo and Juliet is a severe disappointment and waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We attended the production of "Romeo and Juliet" in the Angus Bowmer theater in March. What a horrible disappointment. We dubbed it "Shakespeare Meets Bonanza for 13 Year Old Boys". They changed the location from Verona, Italy to California (why???). The set was very minimal and made no sense - was not visually appealing at all. The first 2/3rds of the first half (roughly corresponding to the first act in the play) was one bawdy gesture after another - just the type of thing that appeals to adolescent boys. The costumes were very disappointing. The dialogue was shouted for 1 3/4 hrs. I got a terrific headache from all the noise. This pathetic effort was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts - your tax dollars at work. We drove over 800 miles round trip to take in the play - we should have stayed home and rented the Zeffirelli DVD of the play - it is much better.

Ashland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Who Knew Southern Oregon would have such Amazing Theater!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I've been to theater in London, New York and other areas. Nothing comes close to the quality of productions I have enjoyed at OSF. Worth the trip and see as many plays as possible.

Napa, California
“Great early season at OSF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Loved White Snake, thought Animal Crackers was lots of fun with great energy and slapstick. Had a fabulous backstage tour. Don't miss this opportunity. Much on the history and current season of OSF. Much on how the plays are produced.

Walla Walla, Washington
“Consistenly excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

What's to add about Ashland Shakespeare? Even when I don't care much for the specific play it is always impeccably mounted with talented actors. It has earned it strong reputation with consistent high standards and imaginative staging