“Unclean, expensive rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Albany
Sacramento, California
“Unclean, expensive rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Spent one night at the Super 8 in Albany, Orgeon. Not a pleasant experience. Booked it on Priceline and called after the bid was accepted to make sure I could get two rooms with 2 queen-sized beds. When we arrived for check in I was told we had two rooms with one king bed and they charged me $10 dollars each for queens. I paid the extra money and we were given rooms upstairs on the freeway side. It was late so I said "ok" and we hauled our bags upstairs to the smelliest rooms I have ever been in. They were supposedly non-smoking rooms but had obviously been smoking rooms until very recently. We opened the windows but had to close them so we could sleep. The freeway noise was very loud. The hotel provided ear plugs but I didn't find them until the next morning. The beds were uncomfortable and covered in thread-bare sheets and the oldest bedspreads I've ever seen. I skipped a shower the next morning because the towels didn't look clean.

The free breakfast was the same as most super 8s: oatmeal, cheap cereal, a waffle maker, juice with the tiniest cups ever, coffee, muffins cut into 1/4ths, bananas, hard boiled eggs (they ran out and had to make more), english muffins and strawberry yogurt. Not bad for free but you don't want to pay for it.

The hotel does have a pool but we didn't swim in it. It seems clean. The rooms had refrigerators, microwave, coffee pot and hair dryer.

I wouldn't go back. When I looked at just booking it on Priceline instead of bidding the next day the room was $20 cheaper.

I will say the management was friendly, but it would be worth a few more dollars to stay someplace that didn't stink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the freeway side and make sure it wasn't previously a smoking room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Brookings, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the years (even back before it was a Super 8), most recently in late July, 2012. If you're looking for value, this is it. Immediate access to I-5 (one hour to PDX) and Albany's main drag. Four eating establishments and two large box stores within short walking distance. Beds are fine, in-room appliances seemed new, sweet little outdoor pool, front desk staff always accommodating and helpful. They even have a few smoking rooms for those of us who haven't quit yet.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are away from the interstate, but even on the east side traffic noise is not...
Moreno Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed 3 days and the only thing that saves it is that we had a lazy-boy in our room. The toilet wouldn't flush and even after the handyman came in and ran a snake through it (dripping toilet water on the carpet) the toilet only flushed right if you opened the tank and held the float until it filled up and then held the handle down until the tank drained. Luckily, there is a McDonald's next door that has working toilets. The room key was like playing a slot machine and the payout is that the room may open this time.
Next time I come to Albany, I'll try the LaQuinta across the street that the Hotels.com guy talked me out of.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Thanks to Priceline, last week was our third time staying at the Albany Super 8 in two years. Based on our experience, it was also our last.

When you bid on a hotel the fine print says that your bid is based on two adults and if you want a specific type of room, you must request it through the hotel directly. While we were given a room with a King sized bed, our young son was with us. In order to be "upgraded" to a room with two doubles, they charged us $10 per night, plus tax. So, this made our "deal" not so great. Especially considering the condition of the continental breakfast and pool area.

Since we were on vacation, we slept late each day and made it to the breakfast near to closing. While I understand that supplies should be running low, each day they were completely out of eggs, fruit, yogurt, and *gasp* coffee. Only small styrofoam cups were offered for juice, milk, or coffee. And the place was filthy.

The pool area was also disgusting. Moss and algae were growing everywhere. The patio furniture was dirty and broken. There was garbage everywhere, like used band-aids and paper cups. They were always out of pool towels. The hot tub was out of order for 5 days we were there. My son had a great time, but this Mom had to grit her teeth every time he went in.

The room was adequate, if dated. It is a typical old motel. Our room faced the inner courtyard, which was better than either facing I-5 or McDonalds. The pillows were very good and the air conditioner worked great. The worst thing about the room was the lock! It took at least 5 minutes to try and get in through a combination of holding the door closed, letting it go, sliding the key up, moving it to the right, and repeating. SO frustrating, especially when your little son has to use the bathroom after playing in the pool.

Service was good. The clerks were personable and housekeeping did a good job.

I would not recommend staying here; there are many better options in the area, especially given the hidden charges.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Albany hotels

Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed for an extended period during late June and early July. The room was more than adequate and I appreciated having a refridgerator and microwave available for use in the room.

The room was well appointed and the housekeeping staff kept it clean and and inviting.

The desk staff was responsive to my needs and Lauri, Joshua, and Barbara were most helpful in providing answers to my queries and directions to places of interest as needed.

Great to have a computer available in the lobby and the continental breakfast was well stocked and maintained. I did, however, miss the scrambled eggs which were a mainstay in the past!

This is my 2nd extended stay at this motel and I definitely will choose to stay here again upon my return to the area.

Great staff, superior value and highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Interior rooms might be quieter and ask about variation in room size if you desire a larger room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

hotel was better than expected for low price range. very clean. on the down side breakfast is over and locked up at 9 am. tough if you are in east coast jet lag time. muffins chopped up in quarters/very frugal but not very inviting. maybe that was the plan. pool very pleasant but hot tub was dirty with a oil film and ciggarette butts around it.requested two extra pillows but could only get one.they said they didnt have anymore. would stay again because so reasonable but they need to fix a few issues

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Harbor Springs, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We recently spent four days at the Super 8 in Albany, Oregon. For the price it has to be the greatest place in the area. Each of the staff members was polite, cheerful and helpful. We had never been to the area before, so we relied on the staff for restaurant choices and local shopping. Each recommendation was spot on! We would stay there again....you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Albany? Share your experiences!