“Camping & SCUBA Diving at Lake Murray” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Murray State Park & Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ardmore
Lake Murray State Park & Lodge
You added Lake Murray State Park & Lodge to your Saves list
3323 Lodge Rd., Ardmore, OK 73401   |
Central Oklahoma
“Camping & SCUBA Diving at Lake Murray”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I decided to take our Airstream trailer on her maiden lake voyage last month down to Lake Murray.
We arrived on a Thursday evening, dismayed to find that every RV spot in the entire Lake Murray State Park was full! The guy at Marietta Landing told us about "Mom & Pops" about 1/4 mile off the lake and we found a spot to hook-up...except it was double the price to stay OFF of the water than on the water. They did have a very nice convenience store with most everything you could want, as well as change-operated washing machine/dryer, and clean bathrooms (no showers).
I highly suggest downloading and printing a copy of the Lake Murray map from the state's website before going so you can see all of the different camping and swimming places.
We rented our SCUBA gear from our usual dive shop out of OKC, but next time we will rent from SCUBA J's Dive Shop there on the lake. He is a little higher priced on some things but it's definitely much more convenient. The dive site where people go to get certified has some vehicles & boats sunk under the water but it is pretty murky if you're not careful and stir up the silt. It is also kind of hard to find and you need to park off of the Marietta Landing camp site. This is where we will try to go next time we take the Airstream.
We found better spots to dive (clearer) off the steep rock hills along the south road of the lake. As I said, it's steep so be very careful but it was very clear and we found a $20 bill intact! We saw lots of typical Oklahoma fish and we took our speargun (read the OK laws on this) but didn't see any legal fish to shoot.
This is one of my favorite Oklahoma lakes and I have been to many of them. The clearness of the water is the best, right along with Lake Tenkiller.
Tucker tower is closed for remodel until Feb 2013 so that is a bummer.
We looked around the lodge and the cabin area. There is a water area down by the lodge that you can pay to use their slides and water trampolines.
There are many beaches but again get a map printed out so you can find them.
Tent sites at $12/night are also available.
We took stuff for hot dogs and smores and ate outside with one of the grills in the tent sites by a big beach.
We are going back to Lake Murray for another extended weekend this month!

And PLEASE do NOT litter people - this is nature and it is beautiful only as long as you respect it! Dont' ruin it for others!!!

Room Tip: If RV-ing then get there early...sometimes you can't help this but you cannot reserve RV spots i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
keller, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have camped at Lake Murray every year for the last 7 years and loved it. Last weekend changed our minds forever. There was a drunk, rowdy family who kept walking through not only our campsite, but all the other campers too. Their children were looking in other people's tents, and the parents didn't eve care. They were drinking beer from glass bottles all day on the lake. I never once saw them carry trash away from the lake. That means those glass bottles are all sitting on the bottom of the lake. They had about 40 or 50 people occupying 3 sites. They were loud and out of control. When we politely asked them to use the public access trails to get to the lake rather than walk through our site, they became very defensive, and offensive. They got in my husband's face and threatened him, then one of the drunk women who could barely stand up started yelling profanities at me threatening to kick my a$$. My kids were terrified. We had to call 911, who sent the incompetent park ranger out. He acted like we were just wasting his time. He ignored the fact that we were being threatened. All he said was that they are allowed to walk through our campsite because it is public property. The only thing you get for your $25 per night is the concrete pad. EVERYTHING else is public. Anyone can walk up to the picnic table and eat their lunch, or cook on the grill there. They can just hang out for hours and build a campfire in the fire ring because it is all public. I had always assumed that we were paying for a complete campsite - not just a concrete pad. Then he refused to do anything about them being drunk and threatening us. His answer was "If I tell them they can't drink, I have to tell you you can't drink." First of all, we weren't drinking. I know there were plenty of people in the campground who probably were, but they weren't getting violent and threatening the other campers. Even their 12 year olds were threatening my husband. We ended up packing up in the dark and pulling out. There was another family who felt unsafe as well, and they pulled out of camp just before we did. One of the families camping there told us that they were there a few weeks prior, and the same large group of people came in and just took over the campgrounds. They had loud music and partying going on until 3:30 in the morning. It is very sad that rules aren't being enforced.
It is also evident that the park rangers aren't doing their job around the rest of the park. We hiked at Buzzard's Roost like we do every year. My kids were apalled to see all the trash everywhere. People are having parites up there and leaving all kinds of beer cans and trash behind. This lake is going down hill fast due to improper management and lack of enforcement of rules.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Crescent Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Some recent renovations have been completed and though more work needs to be done the lodge is great, the restaurant inside is one of the best lodge restaurants in oklahoma, and there is so much to do. The pool is great (for those who don't want to swim in the lake), there is a close mini-golf course, and there is much to see just walking around the lake shore. We are already planning a vacation here next year.

Room Tip: We were on a lower level in the back and though the back of the lodge needs a good paint job the roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Owasso, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We visited Lake Murray recently and stayed in a cabin in the park. It was beautiful, peaceful and clean. The only drawback was we were there in mid April and there was an outbreak of worms that kept coming in the cabin. The second night we got smart and put a towel up against the door which kept them from coming in. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The lodge is really old and smells like it. They are going to build a new one and tear this one down thank goodness. Rates are good and the view of the lake was very nice. Very nice people working there. I will go back when the new lodge is finished.

Room Tip: Get a lake view on the second floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Ok whats not to love! They have great camping with complete hook ups. Right on the lake. They have 4 or 5 different camp grounds on the same land. Some right on water. Some near boat docks and all have new play grounds. They have a marina and horse riding and its like 15.00 a person for a hour. They have mini gold and this water play ground and they have a big lodge where rooms are under 50 a night and the lodge is right on the water. they have a reasturant inside lodge with great sandwhiches and a breakfast buffett and the little cabins run between 75 and 100 with a fold out couch with Tv in Living room and a full size bedroom and fridge and mircowave. Screened in Patio and a grill. Table with coffee maker and toaster so take your food. nice size bathroom. Now my favorite is they have a clean pool for cabin and lodge guest. Next to that is the mini golf and lake water park kiddie play land thing. They have a nature tower and the have a arcade. My most favorite is the ATV riding area!!! The camping spots are great and there open from dawn till dusk to ATV ride. The best part is ther back woods rocky riding and water front riding and there are huge areas of sand to ride in great for the kids. We love this place we visit at least once a month . Stay a night in the Cabins and ride or stay a week in the Trailer spots there equally great. The camp host are super I love them. The riding area is great for kids! plus there a play ground for small kids. You have to take your own ATV. FYI They sell yearly passes for riding its 10 dollars a day per person orbuy a pass and save for my family of 7 we spent under 600 and can ride all year long. The small town Ardmore down the street is cute as a button if you need to do some shopping. In fact we broke down in two truck while we were there and they put in the extra effort all over town to help us. If you get there and need a cheap quality used Atv to play there a place in town called JS Motor Sport on Noble Parkway if it hadnt have been for them fixing my kids ATV and selling My hubby a used one we would be regular campers in Ardmore

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have been to Lake Murray state park 10-15 times. I was riding dirt bikes there when I was ten or eleven, back when the parking lot was dirt/gravel and you just set up camp. No fences, no pavement, no showers etc. Good ol days...

I have stayed in the cabins 5-10 times. They are very simple, if you are looking for something with a cushy bed and granite countertops, spend 300 dollars a night somewhere at beavers bend. The sofa pull out beds(last time I went) are not very comfortable at all. Bring an air mattress or two and some extra blankets. Also bring an ice chest, your own groceries and firewood. You will save a lot of money.

The apple bin place is pretty good, the mini golf is kinda cool, the hiking trails are very cool, and quite long. The stable or whatnot has some nice guys and guided trail rides that are pretty fun. The water is usually clear, heck my dad trained to scuba dive there. There is a bus or taxi or something at the bottom of the lake i forget. Never played the golf course, looks decent though. Never had a problem with the cabins, yeah sometimes they weren't the cleanest or something was a little sketchy, but the place is 100% worth coming to.

I have not been to the cabins in a few years, so if they have been re-done like I have heard tell, they may be even better. They are simple, if your significant other likes coach purses and tile showers, it's probably a better place for a guys weekend with a few 24 packs.I see no reason to stay in the lodge when you can have your own little cabin thing with the outdoor grill and firepit. Do not waste money on firestarters because there should be a ton of leaves and sticks to start your fire.

The dirt bike riding trails are the best within a 2-3 hour radius of the DFW area besides Red River motorcylce trails(the one near turtle hill golf course). Rocky ridge and marshall creek are terrible. There are quite a few trails, I have been on every single one. The woods are thick and the trails are winding and usually quite pretty. A little bit of sand, mud clay etc. There is a section of hills or what i call bowls near the lake(red/brown clay and steep erosion made into some up and down hills). takes some exploring to find. If you are looking for jumps this is not the place for you. there are maybe four jumps in the whole place, and none of them very good. There are not many campsites at the dirt bike riding area- which is NOT at the state park itself-15 minutes away-. There are pay showers at the dirt bike riding place which is nice, and a playground. There are guys that will absolutely fly on some of the main trails or near the entrance so be careful if you are riding with kids. The trails themselve are more geared towards four wheelers, but either way is fine.

In summary, you get what you pay for(similar to getting a 40 dollar a night hotel), bring your kids, bring a plethora of your own groceries and firewood, bring the dirt bikes and atvs, mountain bikes and hiking shoes because this place has it all. Spend a day riding dirt bikes/atvs and spend a day hiking and exploring.

Room Tip: Skip the lodge, rent a cabin.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Lake Murray State Park & Lodge? Share your experiences!