“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1051 N. Canfield - Niles Rd., Austintown, OH 44515   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Austintown
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here about 8 months ago. The room smelled terrible and the bathroom was filthy! And to my suprise they just charged my debit card for 50.00 with thei info they had on file from 8 months ago! Do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We used to stay at the Economy from time to time a few years ago. It was an old place and in minor disrepair, but it was cleaned well. This time we were thouroughly disgusted. The soap dish on the shower wall had 3 different colors of old soap stuck to it and the tub was just plain gross. There were several hairs between the sheets. The toilet wouldn't flush properly. We were told that there was work being done on the septic system and that it'd be fixed shortly. After the work was done on the system, we let the desk know that the toilet still wouldn't flush. After reminding them a total of 6 times, a lady from housekeeping came and confirmed that we were right - the toilet wouldn't flush! Said she'd send someone down to help. No one ever showed up. At one point they offered the room across the hall - it was worse than the one we had and we'd already used up our can of disinfectant on that one. Went to check out the "free breakfast" the next morning. There was an open loaf of bread and some butter pats. No coffee, no juice, just bread and butter.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Westland, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

The motel is decent for the price. The property is still renovating. The rooms are clear and spacious. There is a gentlemen's club attached to the hotel where food and drinks can be ordered for carry-out to your room. The service staff is very personable and helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

This hotel is going through changes. It's being renovated. The rooms look nice. Hallway has new carpet and new walls being installed. The elevator is being repaired. The lobby is being renovated. There's a new gentlemen's club attached to the hotel, which appears to be marketing itself as a place to capture the "spirit" of the surrounding truck stop as a place for truckers to sleep, eat and hang out. There's another gentlemen's club across the street, and a massage parlor and adult bookstore that closes at midnight. There are nearby fast food and sit down restaurants that make the area a one stop shop for men who want to unwind with a little adult fun. I've stayed there a couple of times when I really didn't want to spend the money for a more expensive hotel, or when all the other's were booked. I never felt unsafe and I was able to park my car near my room's window.

Stayed April 2008
Ocala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

Worst hotel I've ever been in.Lobby looks o.k. , but wait 'till you get to your room. Went in the side entrance to take luggage up to room and noticed a broken beer bottle on the floor. When we finally made it to our room (via the dirtiest, scariest elevator I've ever been in) we noticed a foul odor and very dirty bathroom. We complained and they did offer a new room. It was worse than the one we were in. Demanded our money back and after much arguing they finally agreed. We went around the corner to Comfort Inn and it was much better.
I will never stay at this chain of hotels again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Annapolis, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I stayed here mostly due to limited availability of dog-friendly hotels in the Youngstown area due to a large dog show. This has to be one of the most frightening places that I have ever stayed.

My guaranteed reservation was cancelled (apparently at 6 PM) prior to my arrival. Therefore, my king/non-smoking/ground floor room was given out prior to my arrival. It was past 8:30, so my options were to accept a double/smoking/3rd floor room or go elsewhere. At least the desk clerk let me see the room first (it was actually non-smoking) and gave a $10 discount.

Words cannot describe the incredible seediness of the lobby, hallways, and other common areas. The lounge and restaurant are long-closed. The pool is filled in with dirt and grass. The outside doors do not close or lock. The elevator is slow, dirty, and smelly.

So I was rather shocked to open the room door and find a room that was fairly nice and comfortable. The A/C worked just fine, the bedding was clean and of acceptable quality, and the room carried no unusual odor. The bathroom fixtures were old but working. Aside from the loud wallpapers and the tired old curtains on the windows, I really could not offer a real complaint about the room itself.

Dog-friendly or not, I don't think that I could bring myself to stay here anytime soon. When I checked out, several scraggly and dirty individuals were hanging out in the lobby - it looked and felt just like a homeless shelter at that moment. Even though the room itself was acceptable, that was a last impression that will not soon go away.

Even though I was compensated somewhat, the reservations snafu left a bad taste in my mouth for this chain's online booking system. I always book online, and when a hotel chain takes my credit card information and still messes up, that gives me great pause in ever using that chain again.

• Liked — Dog-friendly
  • Disliked — Lobby & common areas
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don't, but if you must, ask to see the room first and don't be scared of the elevator or hallways.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

Beware! Any hotel that requires you to pay in full before you stay there, and has a sign saying "NO REFUNDS" is a bad bet!

I found this hotel thru a site that listed hotels allowing pets. The hotel apparently used to be a Red Roof Inn. It is now decrepit, the back and side doors are wide open, with broken locks, the former pool is now filled in with dirt, and the place is grimy and horrible. If I hadn't arrived at 11:30pm after a day of driving, with a big dog and 3 kids, I would have left and tried to find another hotel allowing pets.

The smell of the room was terrible - we booked no smoking and the room smelled like a dirty ashtray. There was leftover rotten food in the room refrigerator. The sheets had cigarette holes, the bedspread had strange stains and the carpet next to the A/C unit was soaked with water.

The Comfort Inn next door looked very clean and nice the next day. I would never stay here again, unless I were planning some criminal activity!

• Liked — It took pets
  • Disliked — Filthy, broken doors
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Economy Inn? Share your experiences!