“Terrible customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Austintown
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is my second time to stay at this property within the past 2 months. First time, no issues. This time, however, is a completely different experience.

Upon my arrival to the hotel, the temperature outside was 12 degrees. When I got to the room, there was not one breath of heat turned on in the room. It took 2 hours with both heaters turned on at the highest setting before it was even remotely comfortable enough to take off my winter coat.

The second night, I was jolted awake at 2:00 a.m. to the crashing of a garbage truck picking up the hotel's dumpster(s). At this time, I also heard a whistling sound coming from the window. Upon further investigation, I discovered that there was a steady stream of cold air coming through the window, between the two panes of glass, clearly indicative of a broken/missing seal. I immediately brought this to the attention of the front desk.

The next afternoon, when I returned to the hotel from work, I spoke with the General Manager of the property. I got moved to another room, but was made to feel like I was being granted some grand favor for being moved to a room that was in a reasonable state of repair and environmental comfort. I was also "given" a measly 5,000 points in my Marriott Rewards account, but that was not until I argued that the original offer of 3,000 points was absolutely unacceptable. Oh, and I was given a coupon for a market item, such as a $2.00 bottle of soda.

That number of points barely covers one-third of the number of points it would take for 1 night of a reward stay at this property, much less the number of points it would cost to stay at a property that I might actually use points to stay at, in a more desirable location.

Having contacted, via both phone and email, Marriott customer service, I was informed that any points "restitution" is at the sole discretion of the individual property, and the GM has refused any further points compensation for not just one, but two nights of discomfort and hassle.

I am not a high maintenance traveler. If I were, I'm quite sure I would not have elected to stay at a Fairfield to begin with, being one of the, if not the lowest level brand in the Marriott lineup. But I certainly expect better accommodations and service than I might expect to encounter at some cheap roadside travel lodge.

As a weekly business traveler for the past 11 years, I have never experienced such abysmal customer service at a hotel, especially from a mainstream brand such as Fairfield and Marriott.

My business goes back to Hilton from here on out.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hotel was clean and staff were helpful. Breakfast was a nice hot selection. Arriving at night it was a bit difficult to follow signs to the entrance as they seemed to direct you into a gas station. Surrounding the hotel are numerous "adult" entertainments/establishments, and it seems to be more of a truck stop type location. We were in the area attending a funeral, so location to the small town was convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
lilly pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here for business 2 days before Thanksgiving. The place has recently been renovation, is was clean comfortable welcoming. The staff was very helpful and friendly. with several family staying I thought it might get noisy but it did not. Breakfast was a nice surprise actually had hot food available.most Fairfield Inns have the microwavable Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. I also received a complimentary upgrade to a whirlpool suites. Wonderful!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Hotel was very neat and clean. Two great Mexican Restaurants near by that were not chains. Hotel had printed directions to the nearest grocery store and a great list of restaurants. Great place to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor it is less noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We give Thumbs Up to Jordan and all who were working there when we arrived on our first stop to Indy for the Brickyard 400 NASCAR race. We always look for a well known chain such as the Fairfield because for the most part, we'll never be flying blind when making a registration on the road.
The television remote didn't work and we called the desk and Jordan was right there with a new one. When it too didn't work, he immediately moved us right down the hall and it was with minimal effort on our part. What a clean, friendly, and welcoming appearance this inn has and how receptive the staff is And I must echo another traveler with the comment about the breakfast - take a look, other major chains and get rid of the powdered eggs and rubber bacon and do what this Fairfield has done, along with the regular fare such as fruit, yogurt and cereal.

What we would recommend, at the inn's earliest convenience, is to replace the thin and sandpapery towels. They didn't seem worn, just very cheap in quality and feel.

We're heading back west in October for a wedding, so most probably, we'll stay here again.

Way to go, Jordan - you are Top Notch with customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night passing through from New York back to Chicago. Surpringly there are very few Marriott options along I80 in the central/western part of Pennsylvania.

The property is typical of Fairfield Inn with a very small pool and out of order workout room.

Friendly staff, clean room, and a great Mexican restaurant which is next to the I80 exit next to a gas station.

• Stayed June 2012
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Let me just say the staff treats you like a 5 star hotel and the cleanliness is amazing. The lobby is gorgeous! There's just a few minor details I need to point out. A few dirty spots on our pillow cases, housekeeping left us with no t.p., there's very little parking, pot holes in the driveway, the road to get into the hotel has no traffic light (so entering/exiting is a nightmare), it has the SMALLEST indoor pool I've ever seen and 80% of it is 3 ft deep, rooms have no welcome book - you can't find any info on breakfast, amentiies, etc, there's no phone book or local pizza/restaurant/attraction information, and only one luggage cart available. Walls are thin. We could hear doors and all our "neighbors". And the bath tubs are like the pool - TINY! I enjoyed the breakfast. The sausage/egg/cheese bagel was pretty darn good. For what we paid on Priceline I'd probably return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Youngstown Austintown? Share your experiences!