“This place stinks!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Austintown
“This place stinks!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

With two pets traveling with us we ended up spending 100.00 a night to stay in this crappy place. Old tv and every channel was staticy and buzzing to the point it was irretating to even turn it on. Air conditioning stoped working in middle of night so we called front desk and were told pretty much nothing they can do about it. No fridge, no microwave and getting their wireless internet to work and stay connected was hopeless. For the price could have stayed in a much nicer place and will not be back to this dump. Oh yeah forgot to meantion it looks like half the doors in the place have been busted into or raided and you better hope the bathroom tiles don't stick to your feet. High priced crack shack!!!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I usually have very good luck with any of choice hotels we stay at. This was an exception to the rule. It appeared to be clean? The room smelled like bug spray and bothered my asthma. We stayed since we both could not go any further on our journey without rest. The Airconditioning worked really great. VERY loud trucks all night long, going in and out at the neighboring truck stop, this bothered my husbands rest. We go to Ohio several times a year, will not stay there again. The atmosphere was odd, glad I was traveling with my husband and not my friend. I felt safer. The pool was filled in with huge stones and gravel. I did not even see breakfast or the area that it was to be at.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Austintown hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

All I can say is that when I entered the room the smell was insane as I aired it out for awhile I went to bed and when I woke up I noticed the blood on every wall it looked like somebody had either gotten the [--] kicked or shot so as I was taken pics I noticed the door looked like it gotten kicked in by a SWAT team, and so on all I can say it was one freaky motel.

• Stayed April 2012
Jonesville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

While traveling home stopped for the night to get some sleep but had no luck with that! Room was dirty. Smelled bad. Cigarette butt on the floor in a non-smoking room. Stayed for 2 hours and had to leave because of getting bitten by something (maybe fleas, since we believe we found dog and/or cat hair on the bedding). After 2 hours the women at the desk would not refund our $. We should have left right away!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
NEPA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Why disgusting? 1) Flies. Yes, flies in/around the bathroom. 2) Dirty - the floor had not been vaccuumed (obvious crud on the carpet). The floor in the bathroom still had debris/ dust bunnies. There were stains on one fitted sheet (had a double) not discovered until morning (shiver), and stains on one comforter. 3) Our Non-smoking room reeked of smoke. 4) No mattress pads. 5) Poor maintenance. The light/fan in the bathroom was hanging down from the ceiling, the toilet tank was cracked, and it looked like someone had refinished the bathtub (and water spout) with a can of offwhite spraypaint. The only reason we did not run away from this motel is that we noticed most of this after we plopped our poor two sleeping kids down & we were exhausted at 12:30 a.m. We woke up at 4:00 a.m. and just left. Nasty.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms reek of smoke.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
jersey city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Airconditioning and Internet was good.... Eating places are near...tacobell, starbuck etc... You can also order pizza from Pizzahut.... (there is small menu kind of thing in the room). I disagree with the previous review of not finding the hotel easily. The cleaning of the hotel is an issue. I opened the cover of toilet bowl and what I am seeing is excrete left over from previous Guy. Please make sure when the room is available because I saw a little board at the desk which says that room would be available at 4PM. In complimentary breakfast I found Orange juice, milk, coffee and searials.... Overall good for one day stay very near from Interstate 80

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

The problems started in simply trying to find the hotel. The Google Map directions I had were not helpful, so since all the businesses including grocery stores and gas stations in a neighboring town were closed, I pulled over and called the hotel for directions. They couldn't even tell me which direction to go on the highway to get to Austintown from Canfield (10 miles or less away) and suggested that I stop somewhere else and ask how to get to them. I wasn't starting off too impressed with the hotel which didn't know where it was.

When I did arrive at the hotel through luck and guessing with a map, it was difficult to find the office as it is hidden in a back corner of the property. The Econo Lodge sign is in front of the original building, or so it would appear, but that's the opposite corner of the property from where the office is now; the building I was in looked exactly like a Motel 6 inside and out; and the building on the other side of mine, which also looked like a Motel 6, had a Knights Inn sign on it but is apparently now part of the Econo Lodge also. This motel's identity crisis was quite confusing. Once I navigated my way to the office, they had me down for one night instead of four but corrected it quickly (the front desk help was friendly, I will admit). As I left the office, I noticed that the pool was closed for the season - on July 30! I got to my room and opened the door with my key card which worked one time. I walked back to the hotel office to ask for a new key card. An employee walked me back to the room and opened the door with a master key when he couldn't get the card to work either. He said he'd bring me back a new key card but never did, so after waiting for a bit, back I hiked to the office. This was almost midnight. The employee made a new key card and picked up a hair dryer they kept by the office door to dry out the locks - this was my first hint this might be an ongoing problem, which was confirmed by three other angry persons I met while staying there. Once the lock was dried out it did work for the rest of my stay, though it usually took several tries.

The room itself was clean and well maintained; while another guest complained that she didn't receive maid service but the tip she left disappeared, I did receive the fresh towels I left a note requesting each day.

The location would probably not be as difficult to find if coming from the interstate, though be forewarned you need to be looking for a location labeled "Knights Inn" and not "Econo Lodge"; it is located across the street from a truck stop, which was fortunate since the hotel did not have ice available and I had to purchase it each day, and next to a strip club which actually did not cause any noise or disruption at least for my building - though I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't appreciate the giant nude female sillhouette advertising the place, which happens to hang above the motel.

Overall, I was pleased with the cleanliness and quiet of the room itself, the one good point in a chaotic stay. It is the only reason I would consider staying here again, although I would brace myself for untold problems first and it definitely wouldn't be my first choice.

• Liked — The clean room
  • Disliked — The entire process of staying here was one giant headache.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!