“Marios in Medina” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Aurora
Strongsville, Ohio
“Marios in Medina”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Not what I anticipated. It was very cold in the locker room. My wrap was so frayed that I wasn't sure it would stay up. I watched the temperature rise on my "steam room" from 81 to 86 degrees. I had to take my towel and fold it so I sit on the porcelain tiles and put another behind my back due to the temperature of the room. I should mention I am at that stage in my life that I am never cold- The person who did my scrub and massage was wonderful. It was so cold in the room were I was to eat lunch that I changed into my clothes. I told the receptionist about the temperature-he said he would put the portable heater in the room. He did but did not turn it on. I had heard so many good things about Mario's that I was really looking forward to a relaxing couple of hours. I would not recommend Mario's International Spa and Hotel-Medina location for a spa day unless they fix their issues.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tallmadge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My daughter purchased a $100.00 gift card for us, and we decided to use it for an anniversary get-away, although we live only 30 minutes away from Aurora. We stopped in at Marios's in Nov. and had lunch there and booked our room and spa facials. At the time of booking, we showed our gift card to the receptionist at the hotel desk and then went on to the booking desk at the spa entrance. Both ladies viewed our card. We ended up with an upgrade on our room for $35.00. The regular room was no more than one you would see at a Day's Inn. We loved the upgraded room, which had the one fireplace in the establishment and was much larger and comfortable. The room rate of $179.00 (not including the $35 upgrade) was put on our credit card at this time. We were told upon making our spa reservations to bring our bathing suits, since our "Stay-cation" package included use of the whirlpool. We realized at the time that we would not only be paying for our room upgrade, but for the additional facial, since the $100 gift card would be for only one 1 hr. facial. We enjoyed our facials, which were relaxing and quite nice. We then wanted to enjoy the whirlpool before changing for dinner, but were told it was not functioning that day and could not be utilized. We went up to our room and watched a bit of TV and changed for dinner. The decor of the dining room was beautiful and the food was very good. There was a choice of 4 entre selections that went with our Stay-cation package, we did decide to upgrade on a dessert, since only ice cream or chocolate mousse was a package choice. My husband and I both had two Cosmos each and with the desert upgrade, our bill was $79.00 plus tip. We had a complimentary continential breakfast the next morning. and when we checked out, the receptionist asked for our gift card. I told her I did not have it, that I gave it to her when we initially made our reservation in Nov. She informed me she didn't have it, that it would have been attached to some paperwork they kept. We then went to the Spa desk and asked if the lady there kept it, she said "NO", and said she would have sent it to the lady at the reservation desk. Well, at this point, reservation lady told me to go home, look for it, check my handbags, etc. and If I could not locate it, to call "Pam" at corporate and see what we could work out. They may be able to check on its validity at their point. My daughter had purchased it on-line for us. I was not able to reach Pam for three days, she only worked three days a week and when I called, her voice-mail was filled up and I could not leave a message. Finally, upon reaching her on the fourth day, she said she would see if anything could be done and get back to me. She was not too thrilled with my request. There was no follow-up response from Pam, and my husband and I finally had to "bite the bullet" and pay the extra $100. In essence, I feel I was literally called a "lier", even though 2 people saw our gift card, but would not acknowledge it and give us credit for it. Bad experience for my husband and myself, and we feel we were treated quite badly. I asked if I could speak with Mario personally (I have met him in the past) and was told he was out of town until the first of the year. We feel this was not good "P-R" with regard to a customer-business relationship. My husband and I are seniors, and he is in a people-related profession and would not treat a customer in the manner we were treated. We both feel this encounter left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Aurora hotels

Ravenna, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Short version: Felt like a number the entire time, not a very personalized treatment at the spa, spa is dark and carpets are stained, Cabin restaurant food is amazing. Will definitely not be returning.

Long version: After much research and planning, my husband and I booked a Staycation package at Mario’s International Spa in Aurora for our 5 year anniversary. The Staycation included: Overnight Accommodations, with In-Room Whirlpool, Three Course Dinner, Continental Breakfast, and 25% off Spa Services for $179. We booked a couples massage (mine was to be a prenatal, and my husband’s a relaxation massage), we also booked pedicures, facials, and I requested a scalp massage…which was not on the menu, but when on the phone at booking the lady told me she would figure something out. I called back the day before to confirm what time we should be there for our spa treatments, a gentleman confirmed 1pm. I asked if we were still scheduled have the couples massage, pedicures, facials, and scalp massage. He said yes, all are booked. We arrived at the spa at 12:45, greeted at the front desk where they filled out a form and asked us what we were having done. I had to list out everything we had booked. They escorted my husband off to the men’s changing room and then escorted me to the ladies where we each changed into our robes and flip flops. The spa itself does not feel like a spa. There is carpeting everywhere and stains are pretty visible on the carpet. Everywhere I walked seemed cramped and confined. They were pretty busy, and people were being bussed all over the place while we waited to be called for our massage. A manager stopped in to see us and said that they didn’t have us down for a scalp massage and they don’t really offer something like that to add on to the full body massage. She said they could take us down to the salon and do a scalp massage there with a steam treatment. I said, “ok, that sounds fine”. A lady came into the room and called my husband. I asked, “are we going to be in the same room?” She said, “No, I don’t have you down for a couples massage, do you want me to see if that room is available?” I said “yes, we booked a couples massage.” A couple minutes later, the manager stopped in again to see us. She said we did not book a couples massage and they only have one couples massage room and it is already booked up for the day. She said that those book up MONTHS in advance and we probably should have just booked our spa services at the Sanctuary across the street because they are much more geared toward couples. I told her “I did request a couples massage and nobody brought up the sanctuary at the time of my booking which was made back in October.” She told me “well, unless you can give me the name of the person you spoke to when you made your original booking, there is nothing I can do for you.” ……..stunned, I responded “I called back in October, I don’t remember the person’s name from over a month ago” She said “well, what I can do is give you both a paraffin hand treatment to make up for it.” I asked: “will our facials be together or our pedicures?” She said “no, the facial rooms are so small there is no way we could do those together, and you will be in the same general area for the pedicure, but not necessarily next to each other.” So, with that, my husband and I went our separate ways to celebrate our anniversary. The prenatal massage was “OK”, I was a bit disappointed that the lotion used during the massage was cold and not warmed up. The facial was next and again, all of the facial products were freezing cold. I felt like the facial was over in 10 minutes. 5 minutes of which, the lady applied a mask on my face and left the room, so I could “relax”. I then changed out of my robe and waited for the pedicure, it was good, probably the best part of the day. I saw my husband across the room from a distance, while the seat next to me was empty. If they cared just a little bit, they would have made an effort to seat him next to me. After the pedicures we went down to the salon to get our scalp massages. We waited at two hairwashing stations, a gentleman came in and started vigorously washing my hair for about 5 minutes. After washing, he placed me under a dryer and quickly combed my hair. Then did the same wash job to my husband’s hair. When my husband was done he came over and sat next to me to wait until my hair dried. I asked the gentleman if he had any smoothing cream as my hair was starting to get frizzy and he rubbed a little bit thru my hair. I put a bobby pin in my hair and we were set to go. We got our stuff out of the lockers. There was little direction in between treatments as to where we should go or what was coming up next. We waited at the front desk after our pedicures and they said they forwarded our bill to the hotel and they would walk us over there now. Nobody made sure we got our hand paraffin treatment, and at that point I was so irritated I didn’t care to ask. We checked into the hotel room and made dinner reservations at 6:30. The room was small and looked like a dated bed and breakfast room, about what I had expected. It seemed a little dirtier and dustier than I expected though. There was a fuzzy 19” TV in the room that got about 5 channels. We headed down to dinner at 6:30. The food was AMAZING! Service was efficient, however our server did not really have much of a personality. The atmosphere in the Cabin restaurant is absolutely beautiful. Definitely best part of the stay. Breakfast in the morning was very good too. We upgraded from the continental breakfast included and I got the eggs benedict. Upon checkout, I reviewed the bill and noticed that the 5 minute hair washing/scalp massages cost us $30 each!!! And, he also charged me $30 to “style” my hair…which all I did was sit under a dryer!!! We paid and just walked out, again, I was just so disappointed I didn’t want to discuss it. I will definitely not be returning to Mario’s. I felt like a number the entire time I was there and did not feel like we were getting the “spa treatment” that we were paying for.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

I booked spa treatments and hotel rooms for a small group of girlfriends. The phone service at this hotel is terrible. However, once on site, it redeemed itself. I saw three of the rooms. All were clean, updated, comfortable and inviting. Room service was terribly slow, but they comp-ed the meal. Food is OK and overpriced. The spa is where this place shines. Just about every imaginable treatment is available from the capable and attentive staff. Winter decor is breathtaking.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

With all the less than positive reviews I read about this spa, my expectations of it were quite low.

However, my experience seems to differ from the others. The good: The food was AMAZING. The cabin restaurant was very rustic with pleasant scenery and live piano. Service [from receptionist, masseuses, and waitress] was good. Massage room clean and very comfortable. Jacuzzi also was clean and had a fireplace and waterfall. Complimentary wine, champagne, and tea while waiting in the reception area was a perk.

The bad: The half hour massage did not last a full half hour, but apparently this is true with any spa after reading about other spas on-line. The carpet in the womens locker room was in need of replacing and sweeping, but I only spent a brief amount of time there so it didn't take away from my experience. Dinner was included in our package which was $200 and we tipped $40 (20%) but the server told us our tip was not included with dinner though the receptionist said it was. I'm not sure if she was confused or expected an additional tip, but we didn't leave another as we certainly didn't leave $40 just for our masseuses [as the jacuzzi part was unattended].

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This hotel is difficult to find. Signs as apparently required by city law are so small, they can't be read. Parking lot lights are out and they are "trying to fix them". My friends and I had a total of 3 rooms. The keys did not work in two of the three. Finally one of us changed rooms but the other one wrestled with the key the entire stay. The front desk staff did not know any of the local restaurants, had no printed list, had no maps. On site restaurant was expensive and had no breakfast. Hotel does not have complimentary breakfast and they didn't know where we could get breakfast nearby. Rooms were large and had a hot tub. Everything was clean. Temperature in the room was 80 when we arrived and there was no offer to show us how to operate the ventilation system. Website is not helpful as there are two hotels with nearly the same name.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

My husband and I wanted to stay local for our anniversary so he suggested Mario's Spa & Hotel. They had a "stay-cation" package that we booked which gave us a room w/ king bed, 3-course dinner at The Cabin & continental breakfast the next morning for $169.

We made sure to book a room at their spa hotel and NOT the Aurora Inn. The room was lovely and my husband thought the bed/pillows were absolutely so comfortable. The carpet seemed new and the room was quite large (we had room #9). You do have to go up a couple of flights of stairs as this is an older building. That was not a problem for us but might be for some people.

Dinner at The Cabin was picture perfect. At this time of year they have lots of pine roping and twinkle lights. The food is always wonderful. On "The Program" menu you get a choice of soup/salad, a selection of maybe 6-8 entrees (one was the beef filet which my husband got. He loved it) and 4 desserts. You can order from their regular menu and then they give you a $25 credit for dinner. The Cabin is so romantic - we were near a fire place. Two thumbs way up on dinner (we have booked reservations for dinner on Christmas Eve!)

For breakfast the next morning, you could order a bagel or english muffin and coffee/cocoa or they would give you a $5 credit per person and you could order off the menu. That's what we did - their Eggs Benedict was superb!

This package also gives you 25% off spa services. DO NOT MISS "The Grotto" it is a private room with a rustic fireplace, built-in seating and your own hot tub. Book it so you and your partner can have it all to yourselves. It was so romantic! (The only suggestion I would make is that they need to have music playing in The Grotto as there was none when we were there.)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mario's International Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!