“Almost don't want to report as it will make it harder to get a room the next time.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Athens

Book Early and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Athens
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The only place to stay in the area. And I have stayed in them all. Great staff, outstanding desk for the business traveler with 8 plugs and hard wire internet all at a comfortable desk.
Nothing negative to report on this one.

Room Tip: get a room on second or third floor around *14-*18. That will be away from the elevator and the ice...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two days between work assignments. I'm a consultant based out of Atlanta, and I stay in hotels all around the world during the week. Sometimes I actually make it home for the weekend, but often find myself trying to relax in another city visiting friends. When I checked in, I was told to park at the end of the hotel and walk up three flights of steps because its closer to my room... And the one elevator was broken. So I did... But, the locked door at that end of the building was broken, so I had to walk the length of the hotel back to the front entrance (elevator not fixed yet), and then back inside to get to the steps to take me up 3 flights. The room was nice, and I was able to get a couple extra pillows. The stay was enjoyable. The night before check out I got in very late, so I stopped at the desk and asked if I could get a late check out so I could get some sleep (clocks moved forward an hour in the night since day light savings). The front desk clerk said no, she isn't authorized to do that. She said to call the manager in the morning and ask. I replied that if I have to set my alarm for early morning anyway just to ask if I can sleep in, then I might as well just get up. She said okay. So I went back to the room and then called down asking for a 10:30 wake up call. I went to sleep. 11:00 am rolled around (no wake up call but i woke up anyway) and I called the desk asking for an extra hour for check out. She said no they can't authorize that. I told her that it was their fault the wake up call didn't work and they are STILL not going to allow a later checkout? She said no and that if I had a problem with it I could call her manager: I said ok, what's her number? She's not here right now.... ! So end of story. Just want people to be aware of a few things. The rooms were nice, the people aren't.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff is always nice and helpful. Clean rooms and pool. The only issue we had is the breakfast is bland. And you can tell some of the breads and muffins were yesterday's!! Over all, it's great. Nearby is the movie theatre, lots of restaurants and shopping. OHio University is just around the corner. Great location for incoming sports teams, family's...etc.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amherst, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having a student at Ohio University-we have made a few trips down to Athens! The Hampton Inn is by far the nicest place we have stayed at. The Inn is well kept and the location is just a short drive from campus. The rooms are comfortable and hallways are very quiet. We enjoyed the generous complimentary breakfast. Didn't have time for the pool or hot tub but they looked inviting. Felt very safe at this property and the staff was very welcoming.Priced a little higher than other places in the area but well worth it.

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was a new hotel in the area for us but we have stayed at many Hamptons in the past. The room was clean but a bit cramped. The bathroom door opened into the room which seemed a bit odd to us. The linens were fresh but the bed sagged a bit when we were both on it, a new experience for us at a Hampton Inn. In the morning hot water was in short supply, perhaps because of the wrestling and hockey teams staying in the hotel. But really hot water should never be a problem. Breakfast was fine, typical for a Hampton, we always like the oatmeal and waffles. The heating unit was reasonably quiet, but cold air was leaking into the room all around it, really a serious draft. We put my daughter's suitcase in front of it and she said her jeans were freezing in the morning. How much could could caulk or weatherstripping cost to solve this problem?

The issue in Athens is that there are not many choices so you have to be prepared for some compromise. We have stayed at a few places in town and this seems about equal to the better competitors. That said, it is convenient to OU, to the highway, to stores and chain restaurants, and whatever you might need. It is a decent night's sleep, albeit a bit pricey. We would rank this a close number 2 of the places in Athens to stay and certainly a reasonable choice.

Room Tip: We would recommend the top floor so no one is above you.
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

One of the newer hotels in Athens. Not far from OU campus. The rooms were quiet, clean, and secure. The staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurants close to hotel. We stay in Athens usually 2 or 3 times a year for my daughter's horse shows at Stonegate Farm, home of OU Equestrian Team. We definitely return to this hotel each time. For the area, by far the best.

Macedonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

A little pricy for area, but room was very clean and comfy. Less than 10 minutes from OU. Quiet and well wired for electronics and wifi. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was typical continental breakfast but staff kept it well stocked with plenty of room to dine with. A true Hampton experience. I will be staying here again should my daughter chose OU as her college.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Athens? Share your experiences!