“Good Value for the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Athens
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   997 East State Street, Athens, OH 45701   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athens
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Good Value for the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

While this is not a plush property, it's a good value for the money. The rooms are quoted dated, with wood paneling that looks like it goes back to the Eisenhower years, and equally old fixtures in the bathroom. On the other hand, everything worked, the room was clean and comfortable, and the motel is situated in a convenient location. The breakfast was good, on par with what one gets at similar establishments. Probably not great for an extended stay, but for a night or two while traveling, this is a fine choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review with us. You are absolutely right that Our property is an older prototype but we are proud of providing comfortable stay to our customers with modern electronics and making sure that their is pleasant with us.We are also at prime location in Athens Ohio where all restaurants and shopping areas are very close by to our hotel.Few of our customers would like wood paneling due to hocking hills area so they get cabin experience during their stay. Please request room in rear building or inside when you visit next time and we will try to accommodate your stay in rooms without wood paneling. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Then why did they tell us on July 5 that the contractors had gone home for the holiday weekend but they were still in the process of remodeling? (A better question is why did I delete the pictures of mold/mildew on the bathroom ceiling...because I didn't think anybody would give this 5 stars?) The televisions in the back are from 1980 something. No. For the price, I didn't expect much, but hopefully I didn't pay for the dead bugs by the beds. I expected clean. In this case, the frills would have included no bugs and no black stuff on the ceiling. Maybe that's just me. If the people that stayed here lucked out and got a clean room, I'm happy for them. If I could remember the room number, I'd tell you which one to NOT request.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments. As our valued owner, your satisfaction is one of our primary concerns and we truly regret the displeasure you had on your recent visit to our property and that, we did not meet your expectations for your stay. We have passed your concerns about on to our maintenance departments so they can follow up with the proper attention to these matters. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We assure you that if notified during your stay, our front desk team would have done their very best to offer you a solution to these concerns, such as an alternative room. We hope this has not marred your stay and that you will consider us for your future bookings.
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The rooms in the newer section, in the rear of the hotel, are typical of any modern hotel. The rooms in front, the original hotel, are pine paneled. These rooms are dated but are very clean. The cost of a room is very reasonable. the staff are friendly and very accommodating. The included breakfast consists of orange juice, breads (bagels, english muffins, toast), dry cereal, instant coffee and bananas. The hotel is quiet even though it is on a busy street.

The hotel is across the street form Athens Farmers Market, open Wednesdays and Saturdays. This is one of the largest and best in Ohio. Some of the items for sale are breads, salami, vegetables, herbs, cheeses, plants, sauces, jams, jellies and many other items. This is a wonderful experience and reason enough to visit Athens, Ohio.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear of the hotel are modern.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
It is so nice to hear our gracious service is very well received for your stay with us. We love to go above and beyond by providing excellent hospitality service to our beloved customer.We have finished the renovation 1.5 years ago in rear building. Few of our customers would like wood paneling due to hocking hills area so they get cabin experience during their stay. Please request room in rear building when you visit next time and we will try to accommodate your stay in back building during your next visit. We look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.
New Martinsville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I had a pleasant stay at the Knights Inn in Athens. It is conveniently located right across the street from one of the best farmers' markets I've ever visited. Our room was clean and quiet. In the morning, a complimentary breakfast was available and was enough to get us to lunch. Out back you can push or ride your bike to a very nice bicycle trail that hooks you up with Athens and Nelsonville. On my next visit, I plan on staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the 5 star review. We take great pride in cleanliness and service. We are at prime location in Athens Ohio where all restaurants and shopping areas (including farmers market on Saturday) are across from street from our hotel. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon!!
Doylestown PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have stayed in a few knights inns and they have never been much to write about. This one is by far the best. The excellent rating does take into account what this inn is. It is not the Ritz or a new motel with the latest stuff but it was definitely a great surprise for what it is.

Everything was clean and fresh with no smells. The outside was clean and there were flowers along the edge of the property. Everything I saw was well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful when I locked my key in the room.

I wish I was passing through Athens again cause I would surely stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
patelaku20, Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the 5 star review. We take great pride in cleanliness and service.I am glad to read all of your nice comments, and will be sure to share them with the Team here. We all work hard to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience, and I am glad that we succeeded with your family.Again, I thank you for your comments, and hope that you will come back soon.
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The plaque in the lobby states proudly that Kennedy was at the then-Motel Athens in 1959; and I think one couldn't be blamed for thinking that nothing's changed since then. Indeed, the owners told me that certain things - like upgrading the wiring - couldn't be done because the property's simply too old.

If you're used to modern, consistent, look-and-feel lodging, like Hampton Inn or Courtyard Marriott, the Knights Inn will be a big surprise. My room on the second floor was up a creaky flight of blue carpeted stairs, halfway down a narrow hallway that made me think of a scene from The Shining. The alarm clock on the adjoining room was beeping ominously, the occupants forgot to turn it off before heading out. There were occupants in a road-facing first floor room with the windows and doors wide open, revealing a lot of junk food, paper plates, and plastic spoons. Unsettling first impressions.

But the owners are cheerful and responsive, the room was clean, the shower hot and my next door neighbors turned the alarm off. Also half the price of the Hampton. But no wi-fi and no workout room - no frills, and not what you're used to in the 2000s. As long as you're ready for the difference it's fine. The next night, though, I moved to the Hampton.

Room Tip: Second floor room or room in the back of the property, not the rooms facing the road, that might be...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
You are right that Our property is an older prototype but we are proud of providing comfortable/clean stay to our customers.We are in process of renovating rooms in small chunks on every year. We finished renovation in back building in year 2013. This year, We also replaced flat screen TV in front rooms.We do have wi-fi available in through out our property and it works fine unless there is problem during cable company outage.We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon!!

Been to Knights Inn Athens? Share your experiences!