“Best Value-and Very Clean” 5 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Athens
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   997 East State Street, Athens, OH 45701   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Athens
Youngstown, Ohio
“Best Value-and Very Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is not a fancy hotel, but the value was amazing. The staff is efficient and knowledgeable; the room was amazingly clean; bathroom impeccable with GOOD Towels; fridge and microwave in room...Did I mention how clean the room even smelled when we opened the door? This is a small old motel with vintage knotty pine paneling and vintage ceramic tile bath...will definitely stay there again and recommend to anyone who wants cleanliness and good service over new decor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
It was a pleasure having you all stay with us! I apologies as we are an older property but as you said we love to go above and beyond by providing excellent hospitality service. We look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.Please contact me directly to book your next stay when you are in our area again!

Krunal Patel

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

While it wasn't a terrible place, the rooms were pretty outdated. Dark wood panel walls made it feel more like staying in a cabin. Even with all the lights on, the room was very dim because of the paneled walls. While very clean, the bathroom had some eyesore spots, like cracking where the wall meets the floor under the sink that had been slathered full of caulking, trying to cover it up. The fridge in my particular room was kinda noisy.

But given all those less than perfect features, there were some bright spots. The staff was very friendly. The bed was without question the most comfortable hotel/motel bed I've ever slept in. The heat and a/c worked well. The wireless Internet worked like a charm, with good speed and strong signal. And the location was very close to several stores and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you mentioned our friendly staff at our hotel. I really appreciate your comments regarding the amenities we have to offer that am pleased to hear that the bed, bed bedding, and pillows were comfortable for your stay.I truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will try to address these points mentioned in your comments and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.Thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Knights Inn Athens soon.
Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here while we were visiting out kids at OSU. Nice location, its a family owned busniess. Very Hard work family and very nice staff and clean rooms. GREAT breakfast... juice and coffee was very FRESH.. I would for sure go and stay here until my kids are in college in Athens. ONLY 1.7 MILES FROM CAMPUS....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
It is so nice to hear our gracious service is very well received for your stay with us. We are all delighted to know our family members was able to help you out. I want to personally thank you for the 5 star rating you gave us in your review. It is much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and please come back to see us soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The employees were very friendly and courteous at this hotel They went out of their way to help my family with a unique situation. I would highly recommend staying here when you visit Athens. The people at the front desk were efficient given it was a very busy night for parents weekend.

• Stayed September 2012
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments.I have passed feedback to our front desk staff. I would love for you to come back and continue to share your positive experience with others.
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This place sure looks old as the Building is old but the rooms are NOT!!!! its very clean and the staff was very freindly. The lobby was very clean, as we checked in late at night it was quick and the front desk person was very friendly and gave all the infomation we needed ( breakfast, internet, check out etc ) walked in the room which smelled clean and fresh linens on the bed and the matter was just nice and cozy. Breakfast was GREAT!!! lot ot pick from. My husband loved the coffee and kids loved the juice and muffins. we enjoyed our stay here. i would for sure come back and stay here. Its perfect for family travling with kids.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a 7 start hotel then this is not the place for you, but if u are looking for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
My name is Krunal Patel and I am the General Manager for the Knights Inn, Athens, OH . I wanted to thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and were satisfied with your stay! It is always nice to hear that our hard work is paying off! When you travel into the Athens area again, please contact me directly to make your reservations. Thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the knights Inn Athens.
Riner, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Since I was on a long trip and only needed a place to sleep, I used the reviews for all of the Athens hotels to pick a simple, inexpensive place. However, when I got to Knight's Inn, my heart sank, as it was obviously a very old motel located close to a busy street. But things began looking up when I went in to register. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The room interior also showed the age of the property, as the walls and ceiling were wood paneled and that made the room fairly dark. However, there had been some recent updates, and while the decor was far from sophisticated, everything was clean and comfortable. It even had some amenities that were not available in a more expensive property in a different chain where I stayed earlier in my trip. This room had both a small refrigerator with freezer and a small microwave, both very useful when you are carrying food with you, as I often do.

The location on the street turned out not to be a problem, as the air conditioner created enough white noise that I didn't hear anything. Since it's also the heating unit in cold weather, and has fan settings, it should be fine in any season.

Breakfast was a very basic continental, but adequate. However, the coffee was some of the worst I have ever had. Fortunately, there is a Starbucks in the Kroger grocery down the street. There are also several chain restaurants in the area which are fine for a quick dinner.

I thought the price was very fair for what I got.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
My name is Krunal Patel and i am the General Manager of Knights Inn, Athens. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor. Our management team takes all guest feedback seriously. I am glad that you were satisfied with the staff and the level of customer service that was provided. I understand that the hotel is lacking some upgraded materials. Renovation of outside decor has been planned and will happen in next year. All of our rooms are occupied with small refrigerator with freezer and a small microwave, Coffe maker which are very convinent for our customers. Thanks for your comments regarding breakfast and we are working with vendor of coffee .Again Thank you for your review, your business and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Knights Inn Athens Ohio.
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This by far is the worst hotel I could have stayed at. I ended up leaving due to sanitary reasons. My asthma allowed me to breathe in the filth for a few minutes before complaining and leaving. I am not sure what the "management" means by speaking with their staff and better training in housekeeping dept as stated below the past reviews, but I agree with the last 2 reviews. It goes WAY beyond training and customer service. I mean, when an employee tells you "DON'T EVER BOOK AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN" There are no second chances. My sister and I were treated HORRIBLY and no amount of money or pleading would ever get me to even consider staying here. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and book at a reputable place where they will treat you with respect and not just look at the $$$ signs. The response was all lies and they were able to reverse my payment within a minute(grudgingly)... My family is in a service company and we would NEVER think of treating people the way we were treated. I believe in karma and this Knights Inn should be shut down for what they have put out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Knights Inn Athens? Share your experiences!