“Horrible~ don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Athens
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   997 East State Street, Athens, OH 45701   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athens
Akron, Ohio
“Horrible~ don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This by far is the worst hotel I could have stayed at. I ended up leaving due to sanitary reasons. My asthma allowed me to breathe in the filth for a few minutes before complaining and leaving. I am not sure what the "management" means by speaking with their staff and better training in housekeeping dept as stated below the past reviews, but I agree with the last 2 reviews. It goes WAY beyond training and customer service. I mean, when an employee tells you "DON'T EVER BOOK AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN" There are no second chances. My sister and I were treated HORRIBLY and no amount of money or pleading would ever get me to even consider staying here. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and book at a reputable place where they will treat you with respect and not just look at the $$$ signs. The response was all lies and they were able to reverse my payment within a minute(grudgingly)... My family is in a service company and we would NEVER think of treating people the way we were treated. I believe in karma and this Knights Inn should be shut down for what they have put out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Birmingham, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked this hotel online. reading the past reviews, I figured we would be safe for an overnighter. We were to check in late so I called to make sure this would be fine. We arrived on a Thursday night/early friday morning at 12:30am. We went to the front office and had to pick up a phone to get someone to came to the window. I asked the older woman for some toothpaste. She simply said "we no longer provide toothpaste..people steal it, but you can use mine.." Uh, my reply. "No thanks, I will visit walmart in the morning". Yes, the office area is very dated. That typically does not stop me from giving the place a try. We got into our room which was dark with wood paneled walls. It smelled of must and old smoke. (We specifically asked for a nonsmoking room) My sister went to the bathroom to take her contacts out. She returned and I went in to use the restroom. There was fecal matter on the seat and clumps of hair behind the door.I was immediately grossed out. I came out and my sister had pulled the bedspread down to reveal the back, which was supposed to be white was filthy dirty and anything BUT white. We picked our bags up and put them in the car. We went back to the office where again, I had to pick the "phone" up. This time a different woman "Tina" came out. I could hear a child crying behind the wall and noticed pen markings on the wall behind the desk. I told her first about the smell/smoke smell in the room. She offered us another one. i declined and said we would move on. She looks at me and says. This rate (55.00) is nonrefundable. I said well the condition of the room is not what I would pay 55.00 for. She said I would have to contact the manager in the morning. I said I was not leaving until I got my refund. She was slamming stuff around and shuffling papers and grudgingly gave me my $ back. I took a card and asked her name. We flew out of there and I was itching by this point. we went up the road to the Hampton. My sister went in to get the room. My cell phone rang x2. i recognized the # from when I called earlier. I didn't answer until the 3rd call came in. It was "Tina" and she says she is charging my card because we used the room. Soap (to wash the filth off my hands) and the bed (bedspread pulled down). SHe threatened me for another 10 or so minutes until I threatened her back I was calling the police and they would handle it. SHe hung up with "Don't ever book at m y hotel again" I say GLADLY...In fact I am writing this to let others know how disgusting this place is. I am by no means a princess, but a clean place to stay is necessary for me. THIS WAS NOT. I also called my credit card company at 1:30am to let them know this transaction might be made again. I also called Athens county health Dept. I hope someday they get a "surprise visit" I agree with MRRudy_12. SO NASTY!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste ur time here,Hampton is double price but worth it. For a good nights rest and hot br...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor. Our management team takes all guest feedback seriously. We would like to apologize on behalf of our housekeeping department due to lacking in our usual high standards. We will be addressing your inconveniences with the housekeeping department and will be going over the performance standards with the employees to ensure we provide a clean, comfortable environment for our guests.We are embarrassed on our end and assure you that if you had spoke with a member of management, they were willing to help you with any questions and concerns you may have at that time.In many instances, we are not able to process any nonrefundable reservation due to strict travel policies.The management team here at Knights Inn, Athens, Ohio hopes you might give us another try so that we might be able to fulfill any requests you should present to us for your next stay. Please just let us know when booking and we will try our hardest! Thanks again for providing this feedback - it really helps us improve for the future.

Kind regards,
Knights Inn Managment
montville ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we got into the room it had a stale air smell to it, my wife went to use the bathroom and the toilet seat had p**p on top of it. (How the cleaning person missed this I dont know) there was no alarm clock,. It was so bad my son wanted to sleep in the car! Dont the hotel companies check out their motels? Also walls were so thin you could here people snoring in the next room. NO more knights inn for this family

Room Tip: Pay the extra price and stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
patelaku20, General Manager at Knights Inn Athens, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Knights Inn Athens Ohio. The quality of the product you received from our Housekeeping team was not our standards. We are currently using your review to coach our staff to make sure each stay over guest receives the same level of service each day during their stay. Also I apologize your alarm clock was removed.We have ensure that each room has alarm clock at this time.We also had Wake up call service in each room.If you had bring this issue during your stay then front desk clerk would have been happy to look into changing your room after you found it did not meet your standards. Whether or not another room was available at the time I cannot be sure of, but if this was brought to their attention you may have received accommodations that did meet your expectations.Thank you again for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Knights Inn Athens. We only hope you might reconsider and give us a second chance.
Harrisville, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Price wise, the Knights Inn is the best deal in Athens. Beyond that, it is a nice motel. It was clean. The bed was comfortable, The room was large. The motel itself is kind of retro. The wass in the room were pine - like a mountain lodge. Very little outside noise penetrated the walls. The building is a 1950s vintage. In fact there is a plaque in the lobby that says John F. Kennendy stayed there in 1956. The breakfast was what you would expect. The staff was pleasent and accomodating. And again, it is the best price in Athens. You get a lot for your money. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of a modern place, this is the place for you. We would stay there again, and in fact plan to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cadiz, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was pleasantly surprized that the bed was so comfortable and got a good night's sleep after a long drive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Salem OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very Clean, price was best in area, located right on bicycle trail. Management currently in process of updating units & replacing outdated & worn-out carpeting & furniture. Management was very concerned pleasing customers. Breakfast included in price & nice dining area. I believe the management is fairly new and dedicated to improving the overall quality of the units and building. Located extremely close to excellent restaurants. My husband & I are retired and will not hesitate to stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Non Smoking room & can park vehicle at room site.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn Athens? Share your experiences!