“Nice atmosphere for a bar ” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 65 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
“Nice atmosphere for a bar ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family ate here for lunch durning the sea glass festival. The service was exceptional and very accommodating. Everyone at our table loved the meat dishes however I am vegetarian and didn't find very many healthy vegetarian foods. The restaurant did make a nice salad to try and meet my needs.

“Great BBQ for a family of six”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Took my wife and 4 young boys in for dinner. Seating was easy for a family. Service was outstanding and was only out done by the quality of the food. Great bbq ribs and plenty of comfort food...Mac and cheese, pork n beans, corn bread. Thid place is a must, in s great location in Ashtabula.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Blah”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Although locals may enjoy this place, I was embarrassed to suggest that I take my folks to real BBQ on my first trip home in years. The reviews were good. I will qualify this with my love and spoiling at Salt Lick in Texas, so I know good BBQ. This was not.
I will not further despoil meat quality and process here in a region not known for either, I will review restaurant and service. The restaurant itself is a beautifully restored Ashtabula Harbor Historic establishment. The brickwork is old-school Masonic. There is plenty of room for the few patrons, but the layout is typical Harbor Bar tight. The bar is handsomely redone with alot of brass, and I do like th craft beer options, but the bartender was the worst, disrespectful, poor-customer service-oriented barleaner that I have seen. (And I used to be a drunk one for many years.) The table service left glasses unfilled, was never available, and was somehow condescending. I had to find a "manager" which is odd for a food service person to say, to collect my bill. No one ever checked on quality or satisfaction even then! They must know they offer neither?

Now it may have changed since then, and my sister went to school with this owner, but I will pay shipping from Salt Lick in Wimberly, Texas home to Pops before I send him to Briquettes (named after what they do to their pork?) for a tea.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Seannamolly,
Thank you for the candid review. It looks like your visit was in September of last year, and I am not one for making excuses, but I will say that we had several key members of our staff on leave at the time of your visit due to some horrific and heartbreaking circumstances. I am aware that the staff was quite despondent during this period of time. As a family unit, I was also not in my normal supervisory role in the day to day as I was giving as assistance to the victims and families of this incident with as much of my time as possible.

Again, having said that, it is not a reason for you to have experienced substandard service or food. We have a long standing reputation for quality and exceptional service. Although I do receive an occasional complaint (which is to be expected with over 1000 guests visiting weekly), my experience is typically that these complaints are for reasons of preference rather than quality. Clearly, the response from your visit is a below-par-quality issue and not a preference issue. Since you live in Texas (typically even our Texan friends rave about our product) it will be hard to get you back in here for another visit, but if you would like to email me your address, I will be happy to send you a gift card for the next trip you do make into town. The gift cards carry no expiration, so there would be no concern if your next visit wasn't for several years.

Incidentally, we got the name for the restaurant from the fuel type we used in our first years. We have since changed the fuel to natural lump charcoal, but "Lumps" didn't really seem to fit for a restaurant name. We are very proud of the fact that we do not use gas or electric smokers (why we used the fuel source for our name), although occasionally it leads to a cook that has improper drafting and, hence, is overcooked. When this happens, our standard is to chop the meat up to be used in our Brunswick Stew or Chili. If the meat is actually burned, the product is supposed to be discarded entirely. We sell thousands of pounds of smoked pork every week, and I assure you that our standard is excellence - not what you experienced - and that I pour a great deal of time every week into Q&A and hands on production.

Thank you again for your input, I hope you will give us the opportunity to change your mind and heart about our establishment and our family of team members.

Nate Rockwell
Owner/operator
nate@briquettessmokehouse.com
Cleveland, Ohio
“Stellar !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Above and beyond service, The food was phenomenal, and very kind to the wallet!!! Hands-down this is by far the type of establishment that you will frequent when you come back.

“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This place we will definitely visit again. Food was excellent and the atmosphere was very relaxed and pleasant. Staff was very friendly.