“Great meat, sauces” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 65 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Greater Cleveland
“Great meat, sauces”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I've eaten a lot of BBQ and I find this quite good. The ribs have a nice bark and are not soggy and overcooked. They do come off the bone easily, but are not overly tender where they have no bite and are a gross mess. The chicken, pork, and brisket are also good. The brisket is succulent and melts in your mouth. I tried a few of the sauces and found them to be very good. It was hard to decide which sauce to use, or to even use one at all because the meat was so good. The smoke flavor really comes through in their meat. The Ohio Maple is a great mustard sauce and the Hot and Spicy sauce was fantastically balanced. The Red Carolina seemed pretty good as well, though I only had a small amount. The Brunswick Stew was a fantastic side. It had great development of flavor. The other sides I tried are not amazing but good. The Mac and Cheese could use some more punch, and has pieces of pulled pork in it. The cole slaw was nice as it was not creamy and the greens were ok.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thanks for the review. We take great pride in our product, and take every step to assure that the quality and consistency are top shelf. Almost everything in the shop is homemade, which makes the consistency a challenge from time to time, but it is worth the extra effort. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Ashtabula, Ohio
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We live within walking distance to Briquettes Smokehouse and go there frequently. The food is great and so are the prices. My husband and I ate there a couple of days ago we only spent $12 on our dinner. Our favorite is the barbeque ribs, bruswick stew, and homemade potatoe salad. The Smokehouse is located on Bridge Street in Ashtabula Oh. If we go on a Saturday in the summer we stop at the Farmers Market across the street. We also go into the fun little shops on the street. One of the shops sell "beach glass" jewelry, another shop is a high end touristy store with tons of knicknacks and work from local artists. We also walk over to the Ashtabula river in the harbor and watch the boats go past the lift bridge, then we climb the "grassy hill steps" in the harbor to reach "The Point" , a park where we can get a birdseye view of the entire harbor, the liftbridge and Lake Erie. The beautiful Walnut beach is also within walking distance. We can see the lighthouse from the beach.
We get a great workout and there's lots to see and do in the Ashtabula harbor and great food to boost! All this makes for a perfect day.

Visited March 2011
“Amazing dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Briquettes is an amazing restaurant. From smoked chicken wings to a full rack of ribs. Simply amazing. I've been all around the USA and I still think this BBQ from ASHTABULA Ohio is tops. They've recently added a bar and are serving some amazing (!) craft beer selections. A real gem in this town and it would be a mistake to skip.

And to the reviewer who gave them one star, your palate and tastes are probably around the level of shoe leather. Don't go back, that means more for us!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks, and there is plenty here for you too. It is a real pleasure to be introducing traditional Southern Style BBQ to the Northeast corner of Ohio. It is also fun putting a regional twist on smoked food by cooking it over cherry (something not readily available in the south). We appreciate your review and your business.
Grove City, Ohio
“Not a Very Good BBQ Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We visited Briquettes Smokehouse on a Saturday evening, and the lack of patrons should have been a sign. We ordered the Buffalo Chicken Dip as a appetizer. It took what seemed like forever for the appetizer to be served. When it was, it did not look appetizing at all. It looked liked it was made from Velvetta cheese, chicken, mixed with a little Louisana Hot Sauce. It did not taste any better than it looked.

My nephew ordered chicken wings, and a pulled pork sandwich with a side of macaroni & cheese. I ordered the beef brisket platter with macaroni & cheese and collard greens. The collard greens were the high point of my meal. Everything else taste, and looked, like it had been microwave. My nephew's wings were not pink, but they should have been cooked longer.

We definitely will not be going back. I was very disappointed to have wasted a Saturday evening there.

• Visited February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
I am sorry that you did not have a good experience. We receive very few complaints. I can assure you that nothing we make is "cooked" in a microwave (we do not even heat food in the microwave, although occasionally we might take the chill off of something before it gets finished in the oven). We do not have any velveeta cheese in our building. All of our meats are smoked in house; it might just be that you do not have a taste for smoked meats, or possibly you were expecting a Northern Style BBQ (cooked on a gas grill and basted with sauce). Our dining room is always full on the weekends, (according to my records it was full the night you visited actually), so I guess one in a thousand is a pretty good statistic, huh?
Windsor, Ohio
“VERY good barbecue! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My brother had the rehearsal dinner for his wedding at Briquettes, and I was able to try several different dishes including the pulled pork, the chicken, and the ribs. YUM!! I can't wait to go back! It is a fun atmosphere for casual eating in a scenic area of town. Service was great, too.

N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Thank you.