“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn

You added Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4073 Medina Road, I-77 (Exit 137A) & ST.RT. 18, Akron, OH 44333   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Akron
Florissant, Missouri
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I made a stay at this Holiday Inn last week. Because of my platinum status, I got a free welcome drink coupon and free breakfast coupon at check-in. It was freezing in Akron, and I was in the mood for something tropical, and the bartender made a great Mai tai from scratch. The bartender was very friendly and hospitable. My complaints come from the fact that we were stuck in an end room with a very weak wifi signal that kept cutting out. We also called down and requested a 6:30am wakeup call for the next morning, but the call never came. I told the front desk about it since I thought wakeup calls were guaranteed (maybe that's just at Crowne Plazas?), and they apologized but no compensation was offered.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I regularly travel to Akron, often staying at the Hilton, Market Street, Akron. The Holiday Inn came in at about half the price, and about $20 a night cheaper than the Doubletree next door to the Hilton. What the Holiday Inn does not offer is a gourmet breakfast at extra cost to the room charge - the buffet breakfasts are all included (for Priority Club only or for all?). Great beer on tap (Dortmunder Gold) in the Montrose Grill. Bedrooms and bathrooms nicely modernised. Great beds and pillow selection. I'm now not sure what I get for the extra money at the Hilton.
Some minor gripes with housekeeping - the trash bin in the bathroom was emptied every day, but not the one in the main area of the room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
COLUMBUS OHIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

In fairness this formerly tired and tarnished Holiday Inn has been thoroughly upgraded and refurbished. Excellently done too, from the fire-warmed and welcoming lobby to the really nicely refitted rooms, with (very) comfortable beds, a choice of firmness on pillows, and a nicely outfitted bathroom.
BUT here's my question - 'what does one buy a hotel room FOR?' - exactly? My answer would include, 'A place to sleep'. If you would agree, read on:
The rooms are nice but the noise from the nearby freeway and 4-lane highway is appallingly bad. I'd like the opportunity of hauling the architects who are responsible for the hotel re-do into this property and FORCING them to stay in the rooms overnight.
Maybe then they'd understand that their efforts here are only cosmetic.
Just a little thought to sound-deadening windows and window coverings would make ALL the difference, IMHO.
So, bottom line - if you book here take earplugs...because all guests suffer equally and most try to block the road noise with TV volume on all night or cranking up the fan on the HVAC unit....& those resonate along the outer walls.
The restaurant provided fare and service to shame a McDonalds,
The Wi-Fi was weak (I eventually found a way to log into that of the Hampton Inn next door which had a much better signal and performance) and if those hotel architects are still listening, here's a radical idea for them; A Fan - yes in the bathroom. It's not such a bad idea for a space that gets steamy sweaty or smelly. Just a thought. Might improve the guest's experience a tad. Maybe. Oh, and a shaving/makeup mirror? Leaning forward over the high basin and i slipped, leaving train tracks from my twin blade razor on my cheek.
Avoidable.
As is the hotel, to be honest.

Room Tip: At rear, on east edge of property
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012 via mobile

Again,I stayed at the Holiday Inn only because there was no HIE. The hotel is well located off of I-77 if your in Fairlawn or Akron. Overall, it was an okay hotel, but not a great value. I paid $120 on a corporate rate. I got a coupon for a "free" breakfast because I am a Priority Club member, but I could've gotten that at any other hotel chain - definitely not a "value added" item.

The property was in decent condition, but definitely older. The room was fairly clean, although I did get the sense that one of the beds did not have the linen changed.

There were an adequate number of electrical outlets as they had put an expanded outlet in the room. I had enough easy outlets to power all of my peripherals which is better than most places. Although, there was not one by the bed.

The wifi was extremely slow. I've found that most hotels - this included - barely provide enough speed to surf the web or get small emails. Forget streaming Netflix or downloading large content. My 3G was SIGNIFICANTLY faster and more reliable.

The shower got only luke warm, no rapid checkout, and just several other minor annoyances. I'd have rated this average for this type of hotel if it were $40 cheaper.

This was definitely an average stay for an above average price. I'd stay at the Hampton Inn next time; It's likely a better value.

• Stayed February 2012
NW Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here over Christmas to visit our son and daughter-in-law. I was a little concerned when I made the reservation because many of the HIs I had been in lately seemed a little on the dated side. But the location was so good that I went ahead anyway.
It turned out well that I did. I know it doesn't sound nice, but when I entered the lobby I was surprised by how nice it was! It was spacious, well decorated, and odor-free (you know how some lobbies either smell of Lysol or like a carpet was shaken out). There was a fire in the fireplace. The restaurant and bar looked inviting. Unfortunately we wouldn't get to try them since we would be eating at our son's.
The staff was attentive, efficient, and pleasant and changed my room quickly when I requested a different floor.
Being a holiday, it wasn't very busy so it was very quiet both day and night.
The location was excellent as it was just off the Interstate and on the main shopping drag. It was a straight shot down the road to our son's house and central Akron.
I can recommend this HI and will use it again if needed.

• Stayed December 2011
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I think this facility is one of the BEST I've stayed at.The staff, Shawn, Dennis & Markeith are the GREATEST!!! They ALL NEED A RAISE, especially to put up with me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Spring Hill, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Front desk staff need some refresher training on hospitality, rooms decent.
Luckily the bartender Shaun made up for most of the property's shortcomings.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Akron-Fairlawn? Share your experiences!