“Bright spot in sad city” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn - Akron
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2939 S. Arlington Rd., Akron, OH 44312-4717   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Akron
Shawnee On Delaware
“Bright spot in sad city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you must go to Akron, Red Roof is a cheery beacon in a city that long ago lost its vibrancy. At least the location in South Akron is among stores and chain restaurants far from the dark, sad urban core. The inn is a little hard to find next to Wal-Mart, set back from the road. But you can see the big sign on a pole from I-77. I've never had a bad room or a bad night at a Red Roof--an amazing statement even I am surprised to make. Our king room had everything including a desk and chair for working on the free internet. When we entered the room from 19 degree weather, it was warm and toasty. Just what we needed to thaw out. The only criticism I have is with the architecture. All rooms face out on either the ground floor sidewalk or upper deck walkways. What do they do during winter snow storms? Was the architect thinking Akron was in California? Luckily we had no snow, only extremely cold weather and we could sleep warm and forget the cold outside. One plea to the local business owners--please put one good first class restaurant in South Akron. There are enough motels around here to support it and every place that sounds good to eat is a twenty minute drive to the suburbs north of the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Akron, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated.

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Poland, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Travel at least twice a month for business, Red Roof being the default hotel for our overnight stays. While locations vary in overall quality, this Red Roof had good to very good facilities, but it's their customer service that sets them apart. They (in this case Vanessa) made every attempt to tailor their services to our needs. Although I've had some poor Red Roof experiences, when staying in the Akron area, this Red Roof will continue to be our default "home away from home". Thanks again to Vanessa for exemplary customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Akron, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I am happy to hear that our staff is making our guests feel comfortable and at home. Your comments are appreciated. Thank you.
Ashtabula, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am a music A&R and I spend every weekend in Akron,Ohio looking for new music talent. I stay at The Red Roof Inn on Arlington Dr, From the first time I walked in to there I've fely very comfortable. The staff is great and cater to all my needs. Every Friday when I check in I'm greeted with a great smile and attitude from the desk girl Tiffany. I never feel that I'm just another customer..Its beginning to feel like family down here .So if I were to tell anyone about a place to stay while in Akron.Ohio I would recommend this Hotel because they make you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. Your comments are very important to us and we hope to see you again soon.
Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The leading factor in our choosing to stay at the Red Roof Inn was that we had stayed in other Red Roof Inns before and were never disappointed, plus the fact that the room was at the lowest rate in the area. This hotel has gone through recent remodeling and renovations and we were pleasantly surprised at the newer features, the cleanliness of the room, and the excellent service we were given checking in and out. If you're looking for posh or upscale, this would not satisfy you, but if you're looking for great value and a comfortable night's lodging, you won't find anything better. The room was small, but was comfortable for myself, my wife and our two adult children. It was a one night stay so we didn't need larger accommodations. At these prices, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This is an entirely smoke-free hotel so unless you smoke, this is not a problem. The one thing to co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Your review is very much appreciated. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Thanks to Tiffany at front desk. Have stayed here many times. Very good value for the money. Appreciate outside entrances. Open tailgate - open door - throw stuff in room - done. New mattresses and bedding - clean and comfortable. Heater works very well (Room 123) I like to be warm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear the Tiffany has made a memorable impression on your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

After having stayed nearby at a "nicer" place 2x as expensive with extremely slow internet service, I decided to try something else. I just need a clean place to sleep and get cleaned up, and I discovered this Red Roof was recently renovated and half the cost. That's usually a good sign - your room should be in better-than-average condition, and I figured the wifi can't be slower.

It was not slower at Red Roof; it was still slow, but 20% faster than at the other place (rhymes with Campton). The room even had hardwood floors; perhaps they were veneer or even fake, but they seemed nice to me. The bed was quite comfortable, the pillows good, etc.

I did have an initial problem with my room; the privacy deadbolt didn't seem to deploy, and the throw-latch was only loosely secured to the door jamb. I thought I had the door closed, but at an inconvenient moment, I heard the door latch and it sounded like someone tried to get into my room, and nearly did - the door was ajar, the throw-latch barely holding it shut. As it turned out, it was just the wind, and it was caused by too-thick weatherstripping on the door. I was promptly moved to a new room with apologies. The new room was nice too and the door shut as it should.

There's no breakfast here, but there is coffee and Coffeemate creamers.

This place is very nearly a too-good-to-be-true deal, but it's not perfect. The tub plug did not hold water - a slow leak no matter how I jiggled it. There's some noise outside and the walls are not thick (they were thin at the pricier place too, though). The heat/AC unit is somewhat noisy. There's no wired option (ethernet) for internet. My AT&T calling card wouldn't work - for some reason it came up as MCI and didn't recognize the number. Perhaps not their fault - I don't know.

These are minor niggles; the place is really clean, new, warm, and (save for the throw-latch at #328 - probably fixed by now) in excellent condition. Front desk and service staff all show positive, can-do attitudes. You can find a nicer place, to be sure. But I don't think you'll find anything as good as this for the money.

Room Tip: One side faces Wal-Mart, but the curtains block out any parking lot lights. It's not noisy over...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for any of the issues you mentioned. I appreciate your honesty and your feedback in very helpful to us as well as the next guest.
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were a little reluctant to stay at first. Very glad we did. The rooms have been remodeled and are wonderful. The decor is very up to date and I love the laminate flooring with carpet under bed and at enctrance of room. Room was very clean. Room has refrigerator, microwave, safe coffee pot and nice desk area to do work. The only thing this room didn't have was a hair dryer so bring yours from home. Great stay for the price. We had room 221 with the king size bed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Akron, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I am please to hear of your recent visit to our hotel. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to have you stay with us again if your travels bring you to Akron.

Been to Red Roof Inn - Akron? Share your experiences!