“Old-line restaurant, but with a new Greek emphasis” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Greek
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Ohio
“Old-line restaurant, but with a new Greek emphasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have dined here many times. It was always clean, cordial and economical -- but kind of drab and boring. However, the management has attempted to retain their old and traditional menu while adding a new emphasis on Greek cuisine. They always had some, but there is now a wider and more appealing variety. They provide a variety of relishes with each dinner that makes even a very economical dish a full meal. It's not high-style, but honest and wholesome food served by a mature staff.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Akron, Ohio
“I'll be going back for more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We were a bit leery of going here after reading some of the reviews, but I'm glad we did. I had a very nice piece of scrod (I'm from New England originally and a bit picky about my fish). The free appetizers were great as was the baklava. Our waitress was a hoot and her timing and service was appreciated.

I'll be returning to Gus's.

Visited May 2011
Akron, Ohio
“Hospital food is better!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

On Easter, there are few choices for dinner out. I tried to put a happy face on and try Gus' again. This is the third time I have been there. First off, we arrived to find a folding card table in the "host" area. The woman who was in this area virtually ignored us and then when she did acknowledge us, she acted as if she did not have our reservation. We stood in this make-shift area for more than 5 minutes with no explanation. Finally, she led us to our table, where we had to squeeze by large 6 and 8 tops with barely any room to get by. When we got to the table, the tablecloth had fresh stains all over the side that my husband sat by....not ground-in stains...fresh, wet, gooey stains. How gross!!! They had a limited menu for Easter. They did not provide the little gratis appetizer platter that they normally serve. My husband had the ham, which was canned. My mother and I had the lamb, which was salty and gamey. I could only eat about one third of my meal, and I pushed to eat that because I did not want to upset my guests with my displeasure. The whipped potatoes were from a box or a bag and reminded me of bad hospital food. Let's not even talk about the "decor." The ceiling tiles were so coated with smoke and dust and grime that they appeared brown instead of white. The rest of the place looked like it was straight out of an adult movie from the 70s. Disgusting. The whole thing, top to bottom was an embarassment. I will say that the house dressing was delish. But, $50 dollars for great salad dressing hardly seems worth it.

• Visited April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
akron oh
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I love the old family owned restaurants, and after years of living in the area, decided to give Guss's a try. The service and the food were horrible. It took 30 minutes before the waitress took our order after throwing "complimentary" appetizers in front of us. The bar tender asked if our order had been taken, and tried to get service for us without results. She told us that if we were considering leaving, the charge for the appetizers (you don't order them, they just show up), would be more than an entree so we should stick it out. My friend felt bad due to the elderly state of the employees and ordered, so I followed suit. My chicken livers were burned and very tough, my friends salad was brown and his veal oscar had imitation crab, boxed sauce and was very overcooked. We waited 40 minutes for the food after finally ordering. Despite our complaints about the food and service no offer was made to do anything to improve our experience. The entire time, you could hear the staff in the kitchen laughing and carrying on.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Akron OH
“good all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Gus' has a nice, full menu w seafood, steak, salads, chicken and Greek dishes. The food is always good, esp at lunch, and they have great early bird choices. The outside f the building is just plain ugly and the neighborhood is the same, but the restaurant delivers much more than the outside might convey. Lamb shanks, when they're on the menu, are great, as well as walleye.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Gus' Chalet? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Gus' Chalet, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.