“Elegance of Another Era” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akron
The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast
1290 West Exchange Street, Akron, OH 44313   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Akron B&B and Inns
Prairieville, Louisiana
“Elegance of Another Era”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm from south Louisiana which ranks high on the list of friendliest people; therefore I can truly state that from the moment we arrived at the O'neil House we felt at home. The Innkeeper/Owner, Gayle Johnson, was very nice, friendly and accommodating; she made our stay a very pleasant experience. The mansion is an architectural beauty with impressive woodwork within, built in 1923 by William O'Neil, founder of The General Tire Company. We stayed in the "Grace Room" named after O'Neil's daughter. The queen-sized bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in at a B & B. Delicious breakfasts (served by Debbie) consisted of homemade pasteries, eggs, fruit, juice, coffee or tea and will satisfy any appetite. Debbie is a doll! She's warm, outgoing, efficient and gifted when it comes interacting with guests. She is a great asset to Gayle and the O'neil House. Thank you Gayle AND Debbie for helping to make our visit to Ohio a marvelous adventure.

Room Tip: I reccommend any room in this historic mansion. They are all spacious, comfortable and well furnishe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We decided on the Oneil house for our reception location because its beautiful and elegant just right on par with what we were after for the look of our wedding! It's location was perfect because our church is next door! However, upon arriving to the reception my husband and I were asked what we would like to drink, we requested spicifics because we bought the alcohol! We were then told "oh I believe we are out of that" ... So mini panic attacks started! Upon later inspection there was plenty of alcohol they were just rationing it out for some reason and to the bride and groom, big mistake! Not by just one server but ALL of them! We of course upon our panicking sent out my husbands brothers and they bought more! The owner was walking about checking on people and giving orders to not take shoes off or sit on that chair etc etc. Upon our departure we were presented with our bill which was about 2k over what we had initially budgeted! This was a shock to us and we were very upset! We were told there is a flat fee per person, the catch there are no exceptions if that final count changes! We were about 10-15 ppl short of our final count the day of the wedding!? We were told there were to be no extra fees, however on our bill reflected there was about 600$ worth of "extra" charges that we thought were included ie. serevers charge and table and chair set up! Very frustrating! Towrds the end of the evening she let her pets out... a cat and a dog. mind you our guest were still there and had no plans of leaving anytime soon! the cat bit at least 3-4 guest causing bleeding and bandaging and the dog which is very large sheds a lot and stinks and was rubbing up on guest for some attention!! Not an approprite situation shes lucky most of us are animal people!! Overall, the evening was a hit and we are still reviving compliments on our beautiful day! But the lack of communication, a contract and pricing overshadows all the beauty, elegance and class of the venue!

• Stayed October 2012
Wilmington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The property is beyond beautiful. Our suite was beautiful and so comfortable. Gail was gracious and very helpful. Breakfast was delicious. It was the perfect place to stay while we visited Hywett Gardens and the Ohio Mart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The O'Neil house is out of a storybook, and every story has a wicked witch. I was in a wedding held at the O'Neil house. We stayed in the bridal suite as well. Starting with breakfast, Gail was a nightmare. Instead of adding items to the breakfast of the non-meat eater, she just took the foods away. She was in such a rush. She had 2 weddings in one day. She does NOT do contracts. She had NO plan B for rain. She came in with clean sheets as we were getting hair done. You cannot plug in a curling iron plus flat iron. The fact she tried to get the bride to leave as she was being zipped into her gown was appaling! I said "let her enjoy her moment" in an annoyed voice and she glared at me. The ac barely works. She can't be bothered showing any1 where to go. I was asked by the next group where the suit was. The bride's room has two large doors. Alllllll Gail did was scream like a banshee about the swollen doors and her hardwoods. Hello? She picked the room, not us. Doors swell, it's your job to deal with it. She was downright rude to the bride, wedding party, and guests. She came in and whined to the bride about the fact she had to set up a tent for the musicians.....She tries to make everyone feel guilty for her job. She needs help in the form of an assistant. She was scattered and over reacted to many details during the planning as well. She also smokes in the home, has cats, and a rotwiller. Cats and smoke affected everyone's allergies and my asthma. The place stunk of smoke. I saw her smoking with my own eyes if she claims it's nonsmoking. And a rotwiler is hardly a friendly dog. The setting is storybook, but she is not.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

O'Neil House is out of another era. Built by a wealthy businessman of the tire industry and saved from demolition by a former school teacher, it has comfortable bedrooms, a magnificent first floor worth wandering around, and an exterior that would fit in a PBS mini-series. They were setting up for an event when we were there and you can easily believe the claim that most people attend when invited to a function there. The breakfast was good as were our accommodations, but the best thing about O'Neil House is the chance to see how the 1% live.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

After 14 months of planning a wedding at O'Neil house, I can finally write the long awaited review.
Let me start by saying, I loved my wedding day and in the end, I was a over the moon bride. In the end it all came together but the process was a tough one.

First thing: Gayle does NOT do a contract. This will cause many headaches over the course of your planning and I wish I would have got exact numbers from her. It really is a poor way to do business but hey, it's her choice.

After you get over this hiccup, you move on to planning with Gayle. She loves to talk down to you so you feel like you're an idiot the entire planning process. Combine that with her attitude of thinking of B&B is possibly the great B&B in the world. It leaves you annoyed after conversations and crossing your fingers for a good out coming.

If you can get past the no contract, no set confirmed prices and a condescending attitude, you'll still manage to have a wonderful wedding.

The good about my day:
It turned out wonderful and I really wouldn't change much. If something was wrong, only I knew and nobody else. I couldn't have found a more gorgeous property and more amazing food. The staff makes this. She really has a great staff.

The bad about my day:

-Wasn't served what we decided on for dinner. Again, only I noticed and my mother in law.

-Bill was around $2k more and I assume this comes from, 1. my lack of following up on pricing as we went on and/or her lack of knowing what she was charging 2. because the wedding the day before used all my rentals and instead of splitting, she charged each of us (though it was a flat rental rate, not per day)

-We were told we were out of many beers/wines around 8:30 and went and bought more. Upon pickup the next day of our items, all the original drinks were still there. Total mess up on their part.

-Gayle got into many fights with my coordinator (who mind you, was 8 months preggo), blaming HER for losing boxes of my wedding items. Funny thing is, Gayle was responsible for those items, not my coordinator who just arrived at O'Neil that morning. One item was also destroyed by the staff. A very personal project to me :( No apologies for it.

-Gayle was very against putting bottles of water out for our ceremony guests. She said it was a safety issue having bottles of water laying around ad it was "tacky" BUT, it was near 94 degrees, full sun and that's not considered a safety issue?

-She says she packs everything up for pickup the next day. Nothing was packed up until I told her, I'd pick it up on my own terms because she didn't do as she said she would.

I'm sure I could go on.

OVERALL. If you're looking to have your wedding there, think carefully. She'll plan a gorgeous day but it won't be without many, many headaches and tears along the way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Franklin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

In 1915, Bill O'Neil started a tire company, then built a huge house in west Akron. Twenty years ago a developer wanted to tear it down and make money. Retired schhol teacher Gayle Johnson outbid the moneymen and opened a B & B. Her friends told her she was crazy and I imagine she outlived them all.
The 1923 manor house is bigger than your house and mine put together. Three of four available bedrooms are suites decked in Roarin Twenties, Art Deco, English Tudor, and a twenty foot leaded glass bay window.
Check-in involves being led to your suite by inkeeper Johnson. Don't forget to introduce yourself. Pay your bill in the morning. After breakfast served in the, well, Breakfast Room.,
If you want to get married here, you may do that too.
And, the rates! This place is all good news.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!