“A glimpse of old style wealth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akron
The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast
You added The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1290 West Exchange Street, Akron, OH 44313   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Akron B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A glimpse of old style wealth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

O'Neil House is out of another era. Built by a wealthy businessman of the tire industry and saved from demolition by a former school teacher, it has comfortable bedrooms, a magnificent first floor worth wandering around, and an exterior that would fit in a PBS mini-series. They were setting up for an event when we were there and you can easily believe the claim that most people attend when invited to a function there. The breakfast was good as were our accommodations, but the best thing about O'Neil House is the chance to see how the 1% live.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Akron, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

After 14 months of planning a wedding at O'Neil house, I can finally write the long awaited review.
Let me start by saying, I loved my wedding day and in the end, I was a over the moon bride. In the end it all came together but the process was a tough one.

First thing: Gayle does NOT do a contract. This will cause many headaches over the course of your planning and I wish I would have got exact numbers from her. It really is a poor way to do business but hey, it's her choice.

After you get over this hiccup, you move on to planning with Gayle. She loves to talk down to you so you feel like you're an idiot the entire planning process. Combine that with her attitude of thinking of B&B is possibly the great B&B in the world. It leaves you annoyed after conversations and crossing your fingers for a good out coming.

If you can get past the no contract, no set confirmed prices and a condescending attitude, you'll still manage to have a wonderful wedding.

The good about my day:
It turned out wonderful and I really wouldn't change much. If something was wrong, only I knew and nobody else. I couldn't have found a more gorgeous property and more amazing food. The staff makes this. She really has a great staff.

The bad about my day:

-Wasn't served what we decided on for dinner. Again, only I noticed and my mother in law.

-Bill was around $2k more and I assume this comes from, 1. my lack of following up on pricing as we went on and/or her lack of knowing what she was charging 2. because the wedding the day before used all my rentals and instead of splitting, she charged each of us (though it was a flat rental rate, not per day)

-We were told we were out of many beers/wines around 8:30 and went and bought more. Upon pickup the next day of our items, all the original drinks were still there. Total mess up on their part.

-Gayle got into many fights with my coordinator (who mind you, was 8 months preggo), blaming HER for losing boxes of my wedding items. Funny thing is, Gayle was responsible for those items, not my coordinator who just arrived at O'Neil that morning. One item was also destroyed by the staff. A very personal project to me :( No apologies for it.

-Gayle was very against putting bottles of water out for our ceremony guests. She said it was a safety issue having bottles of water laying around ad it was "tacky" BUT, it was near 94 degrees, full sun and that's not considered a safety issue?

-She says she packs everything up for pickup the next day. Nothing was packed up until I told her, I'd pick it up on my own terms because she didn't do as she said she would.

I'm sure I could go on.

OVERALL. If you're looking to have your wedding there, think carefully. She'll plan a gorgeous day but it won't be without many, many headaches and tears along the way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Franklin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

In 1915, Bill O'Neil started a tire company, then built a huge house in west Akron. Twenty years ago a developer wanted to tear it down and make money. Retired schhol teacher Gayle Johnson outbid the moneymen and opened a B & B. Her friends told her she was crazy and I imagine she outlived them all.
The 1923 manor house is bigger than your house and mine put together. Three of four available bedrooms are suites decked in Roarin Twenties, Art Deco, English Tudor, and a twenty foot leaded glass bay window.
Check-in involves being led to your suite by inkeeper Johnson. Don't forget to introduce yourself. Pay your bill in the morning. After breakfast served in the, well, Breakfast Room.,
If you want to get married here, you may do that too.
And, the rates! This place is all good news.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This B&B is in a beautiful old house with stunning woodwork throughout the interior. Only 4 quest rooms, so it was extraordinarily quiet. The room I stayed in was a suite, with a sun-room living area off of the bedroom. Breakfast consisted of a large apple turnover, eggs Benedict, and mixed fruit. Excellent. I was traveling for business so I did not have as much time as I would have liked to explore the house and the grounds. Only modest complaint (as a business traveler) was that the WiFi network signal was too weak to work in my guest room; had to go downstairs to use my computer. A final note of caution for those using GPS to find the B&B - the GPS directions will send you to a church across the street from the B&B.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

The O'Neil House is a fabulous tutor with style and decor; welcoming the most descriminating guest. My husband and I were thrilled to be in a bed and breakfast with such elegance and warmth. The owner/innkeeper was very friendly and accommodating. Thank you Gayle for making our stay such a pleasurable and memorable experience. We will return the next time the Tangier has a show that we do not want to miss. Aaron Neville was out of this world!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Garfield Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was concerned after reading some negative reviews, but loved the house, so we booked it for our wedding. Gayle did not write a contract with us, so instead I made sure I verified EVERYTHING, via email, and kept the emails, so I had everything in writing and at the end, when payment time came, our bill actually came in $30 cheaper, then I had anticipated.

We had 48 people at our wedding. We had the ceremony in the main living room with a hired piano player playing on the piano that is in the house. From the moment people walked in they were amazed at the house. People were constantly wanting more history on the house. I received just as many compliments on the house/location as I did on my dress (LOL).

We also spent the night. My sisters and brother took the 3 rooms upstairs and my fiance' and I took the bridal suite - which is amazing. Everyone loved their rooms.

The food was amazing - we had beef tenderloin and chicken marsala as choices for our guests. Also received many many compliments. Breakfast the next morning, was just as delicious!

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND The O'Neil House for any intimate event you may have. My sister is even considering having her son's wedding reception there as well.

You will not be disappointed, and neither will your guests.

"A very happy bride" ~ Debbie

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
N/A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

The ONLY reason The O'Neil House would not have a 5 star from me is from the lack of communication I had with Gayle. She can be terse and I found that during my wedding planning I had to follow up numerous times to try and get answers to my questions. (No I was not a Bridezilla)
Our event went very well. Thank heavens.

I also booked the dining room for a business dinner of 10 people.
The food and service was wonderful.
Again, the lack of communication was a concern.
All went well, though.

I plan on booking a room soon and sincerely hope that odors are not an issue.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!