“Like a trailer park, just stacked vertically” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Akron
Charleston, West Virginia
“Like a trailer park, just stacked vertically”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here three days for work. My first impression when I drove up was negative. There are two plastic palm trees, each around 20 feet tall, and internally illuminated, on hand to greet guests. As I drove past the palm trees, there were some guys huddled around the hood of their truck, drinking beer.

I checked in with a friendly front desk person and went to my room. The smell in the carpeted stairwell was that of cigarette smoke and some kind of cleaner to hide the smoke smell. The hallway to my room had the same smell and the dark wood doors just makes the hallway that much drearier.

My room was kind of dark and dreary and had a couple of stains on the carpet. The sink had a crack in the bowl and the tub had some kind of water stains around the drain. The furniture was cheap and uncomfortable and just worn out.

The bed was nice, clean and fresh smelling, but hidden under this dark/drab maroon comforter.
In the morning, the housekeeping staff was very friendly and warmly greeted me as I left the room and the hotel.

I was scheduled to stay for a week, but bailed after two nights for a Hampton Inn. At this property, the friendly staff do a lot to make up for the shortcomings of the building!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The first bad experience was navigating through the pot hole filled parking lot that was also poorly laid out for parking spaces. The second bad experience was the first room they put me in. The AC made a noise so loud I thought there was a semi truck in my room. The third bad experience was after my return home I found out they charged me for 2 rooms instead of one. When they switched me to the room with the quieter AC they still charged me for the original room plus the new room. I did get this straightened out but should not have had to.The fourth bad experience was when they moved me to a different room that had a quieter AC, it had a musty smell I noticed in the first room also but I finally got used to it. The fifth bad experience is the WiFi service. I travel for a major department of defense contractor and need the internet for work but was unable to maintain a connection for more than a minute or two. The sixth bad experience was the poorly maintained elevator. I have bad knees so I need to use the elevator but felt I was taking my life into my own hands when I used it. If you're traveling to the Akron, Ohio area, I'd highly advise you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a reasonably priced hotel in an OK part of town with lots of restaurants nearby and good road access. I marked this poor but really it rates between poor and average. I stayed for business and can make a lukewarm recommendation for business. No real amenities here and not particularly nice staff, but they got the basics handled. Also, internet service is kind of tricky. read the instructions before trying to log on. it will save a lot of trouble. If this place is full the parking can be a problem, but otherwise parking is fine if a bit of a tight fit on the access paths to the back of the building.
Now for the bad news. Needs some work in terms of cleanliness. The stairwells had a distinct aroma and the carpet had some areas that needed work.
The 'key-only' access from the back did not work. That is, you could just walk in. Not good, but the front desk was right nearby the path in from the back.
Good size room and mostly comfortable. One of the outlets did not work so I had to extend a cord across the room. Needs more lamps or lighting in general -- I have found that to be the case for many of the Choice Hotels. That is, they need more light in the room. The 'work area' was off in a corner, no problem, but there was only one floor lamp and that did not shine much light on the desk. That is also where the non-working outlet was located. Don't book here if you have high cleanliness standards since the smell will put you off. It is, overall, a decent place, and with some work could be much better.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The service here was not all that great. I did not like anything really about the hotel. The location was about it. Rooms were average. and its kind of small so good luck getting a smoking room (if its still offered) just save yourself the trouble and go to the quality inn and conference center down the road about 1/4 of a mile. Much better there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Grove City, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Seems like the reviews of this place are a little harsh or they've done some changing. Second floor king room was large, clean and comfy. Indoor jacuzzi was small and not as hot as I prefer, but a nice touch after a long, hard day. Only concern was that the hotel sits basically in the parking lot of shopping areas. Had no problems with security and there are cameras all over the parking lot. Nice lobby area and breakfast room. All in all, decent place to stay in Akron.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Agawam, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I am EXTEREMELY UPSET with the customer service of this hotel. My daughter who is 18 was traveling from Massachusetts to Ohio to visit family. This was her first time traveling by herself on a "roadtrip". They were going to visit some zoos in Ohio on their way to Dayton area. We thought we lined everything up, UNTIL SHE ARRIVED AT COMFORT INN in AKRON, where she was presented with "DID YOU READ THE SIGN ONO THE WALL THAT SAYS YOU MUST BE 21 years of age" IN a very rude manner by the attendent at the desk. She stated that she could read the sign but the reservations were made online and the WEBSITE for Comfort Innn does not indicate that the customer must be 21 years of age to stay at the hotel. My daughter asked for a REFUND and again was presented with a UNCOOPERATIVE RUDE individual who stated - "there's nothing I can do for you, we can't rent you a room or a refund" Needless to say she called me from the parking lot in tears. I called the hotel and was giving the same information yet again in a VERY RUDE MANNER. "our policy states" when I asked where does it state that she said on the wall of the lobby. What good does that do when booking online, which does not state that anywhere on the website of Comfort Inn. My daughter is a VERY responsible 18 year old graduating from High school with honors. I understand policies and procedures and following them BUT THEY ARE NEVER STATED ON THE WEBSITE!! This is very unprofessional and created worry as I'm sure every parent can understand if their child was miles away from home!! THANK YOU QUALITY INN 5 minutes down the road FOR THE EXCEPTIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ACCOMMONDATIONS for my 18 year old!!

Fairborn, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had a non-smoking room on the 2nd floor. It was clean with no smells. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly, especially the lady stocking the breakfast. A Four Seasons it is not, but it's a perfectly fine hotel, especially for $65.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Comfort Inn - Akron? Share your experiences!