“Really fun time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kite Club Hatteras

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avon
Kite Club Hatteras
Save Saved
You added Kite Club Hatteras to your Saves list
40159 North End Rd, Avon, Hatteras Island, NC   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Specialty lodging in Avon
“Really fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went down to Hatteras to learn how to kite surf and got several lessons from Christo and his staff and had a great time. They were professional and really fun to work with. I would definitely recommend them to someone looking to learn how to kite surf and to someone looking to get better.
Mike C

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I learned how to kiteboard at Kite Club Hatteras. The instructor and owner Hristo is extremely down to Earth, very patient, funny, and really knows his stuff. To the person that wrote the nasty review: Kiteboarding is an extreme sport and you should know that going into it. The instructor is responsible for your life. If you don't listen or do something stupid, of course he will be mad at you, after all, he wants you to be safe. We found Hristo to be a great instructor and the prices are really good compared to other schools. Also, it's true the owner doesn't let you bring shoes inside but that's also for you to enjoy sand-free floors inside the hostel. The place is super clean and cozy, perfect to relax after a nice session on the water. The rooms are clean and well furnished. When you share a house with other kiteboarders or guests you can't expect it to be perfectly quiet as at home but it's part of the experience, so we had nothing to complain considering that we have a one year old daughter who is used to sleep only when quiet. So, it's also child friendly. Last but not least (again, to the person who wrote the bad review) if you will bash about someone being Eastern European, try to speak proper English first! We thought it was a unique cultural experience and we enjoy it every time we go. We go there at least 4-6 times a year and would absolutely recommend it to others. The best conditions for kiteboarding and the best place to stay and take lessons.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is really cool. We loved the vibe: chill, with absolutely no stress, perfectly in line with Hatteras. Hristo and Mel are great hosts, the house is clean and neat. The kitchen is really big and sharing it with 6 other people is not a problem. Rooms are fairly spacious, they all have AC and a fan and bathrooms are shared between two rooms only.
The location is ok, it's not ocean-front of course, but Avon is so small that you can easily walk or bike to the beach.
To us, Kite Club Hatteras was the perfect base camp to explore the Outer Banks.
We did not take the kite course, so I cannot comment on that, but I'm sure we'll come back and do it next time!

Room Tip: Ask for the waterfront room: you'll have a nice view, a bigger bed and a large portion of the pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I just returned from spending two weeks in the Outer Banks while staying at Kite Club Hatteras. I went by myself this time and expressly to learn how to kiteboard. This is what I learned:

If you want to learn how to kiteboard, there is no better place than in the Outer Banks, specifically on Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The flat, shallow waters of Pamlico Sound combined with nice winds make for the ideal combination to fast-track your learning experience. Once on the island, there are no shortage of schools and instructors (many of them quite good) that will happily take your money, provide you with the allotted time, then thank you and pat you on the back for a job well done. Kite Club Hatteras distinguishes itself from the rest by providing much more than that.

I signed up for the 7-day Kite Camp which included seven nights in a private room at Kite Club Hatteras' lovely Sound-side guesthouse and 9 hours of private instruction. All lessons were done with the support of a boat and in isolated areas of the Sound, far away from other kiters and dangerous obstacles. My instructor, Graham, was very knowledgeable and professional. Of his many virtues, he is quick to gauge his students (personalities, abilities, learning styles) and adapt his own instructional approach to best suit the needs of the individual student. Graham stresses safety above all, followed by correct and solid progression of skills. He was very supportive out on the water and provided me with thoughtful adjustments to my technique, which I found most useful. He might even videotape your session to show you what you need to work on. I had 5 sessions/13 hours with Graham and he took me from someone who could barely get up on the board to a bona-fide kiter able to ride in both directions and even stay upwind at times. I now have the confidence to work on my skills by myself at my home beach. To sum up the school, it is nothing less than top-notch.

I mentioned that Kite Club Hatteras was much more than about lessons; it truly is a complete kiting experience. During my two weeks there, there were other guests from all over the world and all walks of life, coming and going. Some were like me: new kiters there to learn the sport. Others had been kiting for years and stayed at Kite Club Hatteras to ride with others. Still other guests came to enjoy the beautiful serenity of the Outer Banks without wanting to kite at all. Everyone I met was friendly and eager to share their experiences. It was great being around such a good crowd of like-minded travelers. This is a place where the owner, Christo, will ask you to go surfing with him one afternoon when the waves are good and everyone will want to go on a long downwinder the next. And that is the "full experience" part of staying at Kite Club Hatteras. Whether you come to learn to kite, ride with others, or simply do your own thing, you can't go wrong here.

The rates for lessons are the most reasonable in the area. Not only that, I really like how they don't try to nickel-and-dime you for every little thing unlike some other operations on the island. Christo is a really good guy. He is running a business but you get the feeling he is doing it for the stoke way more than for a profit motive. He is extremely chill and personable. In fact, I spent my first night there drinking beer out on his deck with his friends just shootin' the breeze. His girlfriend Melissa, a sweetheart if you've ever met one, is herself an accomplished kiteboarder and surfer and teaches Stand Up Paddle Boarding for those windless days. She bakes a super-mean loaf of banana bread as well.

As far as the accommodations, the room was clean and the house was furnished nicely. There is a Food Lion nearby so you can shop for groceries and make your own food. There are also a variety of tasty dining options in town if you'd rather. I ate the blackened fish tacos at Buxton Munch more than I'm comfortable admitting.

I'll definitely be back so if you decide to stay here, maybe we can go on that epic downwinder sometime. I love kiting!

Room Tip: Request the corner room with the Sexiest light. Best view in the place.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Rexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I got exactly what I was looking for. My goal was to get three days of lessons and finally get up on the board. By the end of my third day of lessons I was up on the board. Graham was a very good, supportive instructor. My boyfriend took lessons from Christo and he found them very helpful. They are with you all the way, in the water and close by in the boat. I felt safe and supported the entire time. This is an excellent Kite School and I would go back in a heart beat.

The play to stay exceeded my expectations. It is a shared house environment - the place is clean, there is a great room / kitchen living room with a really big Island, new appliances, huge TV with surround sound. The back deck looks out on the sound and I could even see kites from the porch looking out toward the sound. We had a couple of guys from MN staying with us and it was fun to share out stories.

The people associated with Kite Club Hatteras are very conscientious. I feel like I made life long friends.

Room Tip: You have to look hard to find the Kite Club sign or you will miss the turn.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great place to stay for kite-surfers, windsurfers, and really anyone who wants a community around them while they're staying in the OBX. The lessons are competitively priced, but more than that, the owner, instructor, and guests are all in it together to have a good time. I took two kiting lessons and did a couple kiting trips with the group there over a week and I both had huge fun and learned a lot. It's a comfortable place to stay -- way above what you might expect from a hostel, so it's a huge value for the price. I'll definitely be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here in Hatteras with Christo from Kite Club Hatteras for lodging and kite boarding instruction. Very nice location and excellent kite boarding school with knowledgeable and friendly kite instructors. Best prices for kite instruction in the area and also very relaxed and friendly, not corporate at all. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Kite Club Hatteras? Share your experiences!