“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 30 Restaurants in Avon
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: We are now open for the 2014 season with a new chef, and a new look! The Open Water Grill is the perfect oasis to unwind from a day full of beach activities! There is something for everyone on our extensive menu, including local NC fresh seafood. We offer live music every weekend and even have a complimentary shuttle service to make sure our guests can relax on their Outer Banks getaway without having to worry about having a designated driver. Come see what all the fuss is about!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

Wait was a little long and if you like beer then the selection is limited but the food was really good. Go early and the wait isn't as long.

Visited July 2014
RBenn018, Owner at Open Water Grill, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello Heather, my name is Ryan, I am one of the owners of Open Water Grill and likely the chef on the night of your visit. I just wanted to thank you for reviewing our establishment, and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit! I do apologize for the wait. This time of year is our off season, with such low occupancy on the island much of our food is made to order, rather than prepped earlier in the day, to prevent loss due to lack of demand. Proteins such as our Ribeye and Fresh local seafood stay fresher longer when left uncut, same with our pastas and sides which makes cooking take a bit longer than it would during the summer. I hope you can visit us again sometime and enjoy our area and food again soon. I hope that the Pennsylvania cold treats you well this winter. Thanks again for your support.

Ryan Bennett
Co-owner
Open Water Grill

Lexington, Kentucky
“20% Discount Good Thing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

The menu selections and descriptions sounded good. OWG only delivered mediocre at best food. My 4 cheese crab Mac and cheese with asparagus made with penne sounded delicious. What I got was elbow mac and cheese resembling a popular store brand product. The crab and asparagus was nearly nonexistent and subpar. Another person ordered the seafood trio. It consisted of 5 popcorn size shrimp, 5 quarter sized scallops, and a 2 ounce at best flounder filet. Our food was served barely warm and accompanied by live music that was way too loud. The artist was good and had a great play list. However even after the server requested he turn down the volume, we still could not carry on a conversation amongst the four of us. This was our second and final visit to OWG.

• Visited September 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Beulaville, North Carolina, United States
“Best food on our summer trip!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

This was the absolute best food we had on our vacation! My husband, my daughter and I got three different entree's and they were all delicious! The clam chowder was some of the best I have ever had! I will definitely be heading back to this restaurant on our next visit to Hatteras!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Omaha, United States
“Good lunch, great pie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

I stopped there for lunch during the off season. The food was very good, though the menu was somewhat limited because they were entering the off season. Had a wonderful fish sandwich, however, and a piece of key lime pie that was to die for. The waitress was very efficient and friendly.If the weather permits, I highly recommend the outdoor seating. Great view!

• Visited October 2014
Zanesville, Ohio
“Worth the price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

Came here early in the week and had a delicious meal and dessert. Came back later in the week for more dessert and coffee (made especially for us, with fresh cream- no package stuff!). Ended up staying on the second visit to enjoy the live acoustic music. The pumpkin cheesecake is divine! Although prices are expensive, (this was our most expensive meal of the trip at $76 = 1 pop, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, and tip) it was worth it. The food was tasty, fresh, and hot. Portions are not huge, as we shared an appetizer, had an entree each, and shared dessert, and didn't leave stuffed like we have at other places. The service was friendly and the atmosphere clean and inviting. Beautiful view of the sunset from the outside deck. The best dinner view we experienced all week. Check it out!

• Visited October 2014