“Great find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Koru Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avon
The Villas at Koru Village
You added The Villas at Koru Village to your Saves list
40920 Highway 12, Avon, Hatteras Island, NC 27915 (Formerly Villas at Spa Koru)   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Specialty Lodging in Avon
Suffolk, Virginia
“Great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were only there one night, but loved it. The villas are beautifully decorated - the pictures online do not do them justice! We will definitely be back - hopefully for a little longer stay. For anyone with younger children, you do have to cross the road for the beach and pool.

• Stayed May 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

It doesn't get much better: wonderful accommodation (clean, stylish, & affordable). Great location. Kitchen is fully equipped. Across the street from the beach & adjacent to an amazing spa & fitness center.

• Stayed May 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My Mom and I stayed in the "Sun" Villa last weekend, as we were in town making final preparations for my June wedding. The staff was outstanding. We were especially appreciative of the road condition updates prior to arrival (Highway 12 was closed most of the weekend). During my drive from Charlotte to the Outer Banks, Brook (from the reception desk) called me twice to alert me of the road conditions and closings. When we arrived, Brook greeted us with a huge smile and made us feel extremely welcomed.

When we arrived in the Villa, there was a bottle of champagne, a cheese platter, and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. My fiance requested these items and Linda from Koru Village arranged this fantastic gesture. These items are not typically found at Koru Village, so Linda had to go out of her way to make this happen. Needless to say, we were thrilled!

During our stay, I had my hair done (an up-do trial for the wedding!) by Chloe who was also fantastic.

This is a great place to stay and I will definitely be back. In fact, I am bringing about 10 women to the Koru Spa on my wedding day in June for a day of beauty. I highly recommend Koru Village for a place to stay or a place to spa!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visit the OBX quite often and this trip was for my husband to participate in the Graveyard 100. We decided to stay at The Villas at Koru Village in Avon to be near the finish line of the ultra marathon, which was Hatteras. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay one night as over wash on Hwy 12 forced a closure making it impossible for us to return to Avon from Nags Head the second night. The management/staff was very helpful and worked with us during this situation and were kind enough to reimburse us for the night we could not be there. We did enjoy the time we got to spend there as the accommodations were very nice and offered everything we needed. We highly recommend them for a weekend getaway or an extended stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at The Villas at Koru Village just last week and I and my traveling companions were pleasantly surprised at what we found. A bunch of friends had scheduled this trip last October but the island had to be closed because of the hurricane. This year the weather was great. The Villas were clean, spacious, well appointed and more than enough space for our group. It was more like a home, home rather than a vacation home. You can find similar most anything, including lodging, but I have found the distingishing difference is service. The staff and management went out of their way to make our stay supper. The concept of lodging and fitness together is a great combination. Being centrally located to all Outer Banks attractions was a major plus. We golfed, beached, visited great sites and ate at a variety of excellent resturants. But at the end of the day we returned to excellent accomodations. It was clean, relaxing and well appointed for entertaining our friends and cooking a great meal. I rated the Villas a four because I just didn't have enough time to get around to all of its offerings. I will the next time and I know a five will be in the offing. By the way, the king bed I slept in was the best. I plan on buying that brand. Thanks Villa staff, Brook, Tatum, Linda and Joe for making this a great stay. See you next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 2 small children and while planning our OBX trip we became frustrated because most of the lodging is large rental homes designed for large groups and multiple families. We didn't need that much space nor could we afford it, we just needed a small space for the 4 of us, and small rentals were hard to find. I was about to give up our search when I found the Koru Villas. We booked the Water villa for 1 week and it was a great fit for us. It provided us with 2 bedrooms, 1 full bathroom, living room, dining area, and full kitchen, and at a reasonable price. The kitchen was stocked with utensils and some appliances. They provided detergent for the dishwasher and for the washer and dryer. We enjoyed the blues and ocean themed decor in the villa. Outside our villa was a cute garden area which we took advantage of to eat some of our meals. The garden area also offers grills to cook out.

One thing we really liked was the binder of information they provide. In this they include menus from many of the restaurants on the whole island, not just Avon. Someone took a lot of time to get this information together and it was much appreciated. We didn't eat out much because we had the full kitchen, but we did treat ourselves to a few meals out and this was very helpful. I've never seen a hotel do something like this unless the restaurant is owned by the hotel.

There was a large exercise room and many yoga and fitness classes offered.

No need to bring shampoo/conditioner/shower gel....the showers have the biggest supply I've ever seen from their spa!

The pool/beach club was very nice. My children very much enjoyed it and probably would've spent the whole day there everyday if we had let them. They also have a boardwalk that takes you right over to the beach. Most days we would do sometime on the beach first, then come over the boardwalk, rinse ourselves and our stuff from sand with the hose they provide, then finish our day at the pool.

Location of the villas was wonderful. Directly across the street from Avon pier. 1 mile from Food Lion. 6 miles from Hatteras Lighthouse and Buxton. We visited the lighthouse daily because it was so close.

FYI...Some things to be aware of. I don't consider these things complaints, just things that we wished we had known going into the trip. Even though this is sort of like a hotel, they do not have 24/7 desk service like a hotel. I saw on the website that check-in was at 4pm, and we had a 7 hour drive to get there, so I felt to no rush to check-in right at 4, assuming, like most hotels, there was always someone there. We got a phone call around 6:30 wondering where we were because apparently on Saturdays they close at 6:00pm. I did see something on the website about checking-in late, but I mistakenly assumed they meant LATE, like after 10pm or something. I never imagined they'd close at 6pm, especially with a 4pm check-in time. Fortunately we were almost there, but I felt bad for the people who stayed late waiting on us. We could've been there earlier had we known, we just took our time getting there. Like I said, not a complaint....just more of an FYI. This is also important when considering other needs. I am used to staying in hotels and being able to call the front desk at any hour for our needs and this isn't an option here. On Sundays they don't open up until noon. Also to note, they do not have phones in the room. I know most people have cell phones today, so just make sure you bring them and the chargers! If you need the front desk (when they are open) you'll either need your cell phone or you'll have to walk there (both fine...just an FYI). I can only speak for villa Water, but I also think the villa could've used more glasses and dishes. With 4 of us we went through the small # quickly and had to run the dish washer almost everyday, which kind of contradicts their encouragement of reduced energy use practices (which we apply at home, too). If you have small kids I suggest bringing kid-friendly cups, dishes, and utensils. The cups/plates/bowls were all glass and heavy, and one of my kids broke a glass because they weren't used to using a cup that heavy (we use all plastic things for them at home....I didn't think to bring any). The silverware was nice for adults, but big for little hands. Next time I'll pack this stuff for them.

And because they are not a traditional hotel, they don't have housekeeping service. The first 2 days we came back after full days expecting the room cleaned, beds made, fresh towels, etc. We had to ask the front desk and they said there is no housekeeping. Which is fine, just something we didn't realize. If you want fresh towels you have the washer and dryer to use to launder the 4 (+ a few hand towels) they provide you with.

We were also a little confused about the location of the villas when looking at the website. Looking at the website and the pool/beach club we thought the villas were on the side with the beach. They are in fact across the street, which is fine. Still walking distance, but not as close as we thought/hoped. The pool/beach club is actually diagonally across the street. Close, but not as close as we thought/hoped and we thought the villas and pool were all one attached unit.

The TVs were very small and outdated (there was one in the master and one in the living room). I don't consider this a big complaint, I always say that I didn't travel to X destination to watch TV. But with small kids and no babysitters we were limited to our room at night after the kids went to bed, so TV watching was our main activity. The villas could benefit from an upgrade.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay. I think if you go into a visit there with some of the info provided here it will be a smooth stay. I'm not sure what they classify themselves as but they are kind of like a cross between a hotel and a rental home. Like a hotel because they do have the front desk and check-in process and fitness center and activities, but also like the traditional rental homes because you're really on your own for everything once you check-in, which is fine as long as you are prepared for it. Since this was our 1st stay I consider it a learning experience and we'll be fully prepared for our next stay!

Room Tip: Please don't let your kids bring their scooters and ride them back and forth incessantly by all...