“A Good Place to Stay at Atlantic Beach,NC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clam Digger Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Clam Digger Inn
You added Clam Digger Inn to your Saves list
511 Salter Path Road, PO Box 846, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“A Good Place to Stay at Atlantic Beach,NC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just got home from Atlantic Beach, NC., and the Clam Digger Inn. Another very pleasant little vacation at this location. Had not been there for a good while but it is still a Very Good Place to stay when visiting Atlantic Beach, NC. Rooms at good sized, and have the usual TV, Microwave, Small Refrigerator, and the Bed is firm which I like. Nice pool and a most Beautiful Beach to enjoy. It also has a very good restaurant so you don't have to look for one if you don't want to. I have stayed there many times and no doubt will do so again. It's not a fancy Hilton or great resort but it is clean, and a great place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable place at the beach.

Room Tip: The Hotel is seven stories tall and all rooms are ocean front, I recommend the higher floors (6 or 7...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Ocean front hotel. All rooms have balcony facing the beach. The staff as a general rule are friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is in need of some upgrades. Rooms are dated and smell musty. WIFI was spotty. The food at the restaurant is average at best. Ate breakfast twice. Western omelet was overcooked and the cheese was melted on top instead of in the omelet. On the second morning I ordered a Mexican omelet with added sausage. Instead of adding the sausage to the omelet I got the omelet with 2 sausage patties on theside. The waitress did apologize when she brought it.
Ordered a salad with boiled shrimp at lunch. Small side salad with 6 small shrimp for $8.95.
I was in town for business and the hotel was suitable. Would not go therefor a vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was our second stay at the Clam Digger. It's an older hotel, built in 1975, but is maintained better than most newer hotels. It's not fancy, but the rooms are always in good order and clean. All rooms are oceanfront. The view from your room is of the ocean, which is only steps away. You can hear the ocean roar from the balcony. The view on the walkway in front of your room is of the sound. The elevators are well maintained and quick. The restaurant is very good. The pool is just out the back door with a nice tiki bar. Then the ocean is just a few steps beyond the pool. You can rent beach umbrellas and chairs for a reasonable price. Everyone is very nice and accommodating. The bathrooms are a bit small, but that's really not a complaint, just an observation. They have a small one-cup-at-a-time coffee maker in each room, but also have really good complimentary coffee in the lobby. The TV had a great picture. No parking garage to contend with, your car is just steps away out the front door. This has quickly become our favorite hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I'm in a king room on the seventh floor and loving the breeze and sound of the waves outside the sliding door to the balcony, which I leave open. Room is clean, with a coffee maker, micro, and small fridge. Very quiet on this upper floor. Elevator and ice machine are convenient, but not within distance to be heard.
Nice pool. Only drawback is a $15 charge for using chairs and umbrella on the beach. I notice some motels offer free beach service, so when you factor that in, the price at Clam Digger ($85 a night) is on par with others. This rate is weekday, just before the prime season hike. I got a good AAA discount to less than $73 and take my own chair to the beach. Located in a nice area, not your typical beach commercial area. A restaurant and bar are on-site, huge breakfast portions, decent food otherwise. I enjoy having easy access to local morning newspapers in vending machines outside lobby.
Staff is cordial, helpful. I will be back.

Room Tip: With convenient elevators, choose the top floor if possible. No noise except the ocean, and breezes...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I came here in mid April with a colleague of mine driving buses for a group staying nearby. I got to enjoy 2 nights at this hotel and loved having the beach right at me.
My room was great overall with a fridge and microwave in the room. The restaurant on the premises was decent. They had daily specials for a good price and served 3 meals a day. Parking a bus there was not too bad at all. Just make sure the hotel is aware if you are coming in a bus/RV or Motor Coach or have a large trailer.
When checking in, ask for the list of House Rules. It is hilarious.
Note this hotel is located physically in Pine Knoll Shores, NC. which is next to Atlantic Beach.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Oberlin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This 100 room hotel is actually in Piney Knoll Shores, not far from Atlantic Beach but far enough to make it a quiet, relaxing place. Our King bed was among the most comfortable I have encountered in a hotel and the room, while basic, had everything one needs--mini-frig, microwave, WiFi. More of a family place--not good if you are a single looking for action. Private balcony, sound of the crashing waves--its RIGHT on beach, and no big condos close by. Surrounded by mostly rental houses, so the beach is uncrowded. We looked around and determined we were in the best possible hotel outside of Atlantic Beach. The nearby Crab Shack had better food and better value than a famous established restaurant in Morehead City. Did not eat at Windjammer restaurant.

Room Tip: We chose an upper floor for best sea view and to be away from the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tiltonsville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have been visiting the Clam Digger Inn for years, both in accommodations and in their restaurant and bar. Visit the area every year at Easter. Tried to rectify my problem with management, but the General Manager never returned my call. Problem on April 10, 2014, family staying there and we visited the bar. Never, NEVER has there been a more rude and disrespectful employee that I have encountered in my life. Actually filmed the bartender making my drink and only putting a splash of liquor in my glass and using bare hands to get the garnishes out for the drink. She was verbally disrespectful, asked at front desk for manager, but no one on duty. Gave me her card, I called on Monday 15th and 22nd with no luck in speaking with her or she returning my call. I am not overly critical when I write my reviews, but this WAS wrong. Falsely charged for drinks with no alcohol, bartender eating from a Styrofoam container with her hand, never washing them and getting my garnish with her bare hands. Bad night for them, but they never tried to make it better with me. The employee even called a man in and came outside the bar by the pool and made threatening remarks about me to him. Made me uneasy enough to almost go to the police. Needless to say, the 11 of us did NOT eat in their restaurant that night.

Room Tip: On a positive note, not a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Clam Digger Inn? Share your experiences!