“Great Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clam Digger Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Clam Digger Inn
You added Clam Digger Inn to your Saves list
511 Salter Path Road, PO Box 846, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was just there from 7/23/13 - 7/26/13. You can not beat ocean front views and the sound of the waves for the price. The food at the restaurant was very good and prices were not bad. Rooms were very clean and look freshly painted. Only negative is the bathrooms are very small but you are not there for the bathrooms. I will defiantly go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 318 it was at the end away from the pool and more private.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

So, after not having a vacation in 3 years we finally on the whim decided to go somewhere. We started calling around 2 weeks ago trying to find rooms on the NC coast (we knew we wanted something relaxing and not as commercialized as Myrtle Beach). The Clamdigger was the place that had the most affordable rates and had vacancies. This was our first time staying at the Outer Banks and we absolutely loved it. We actually just got back today from down there and my view from my front porch is NOTHING compared to the view from my hotel room while we were there.

The Clamdigger was wonderful! The staff were very friendly and knowledgable about the area; the room was a good size (though the bathrooms were kinda small, but how much time are you really spending in your bathroom anyway); the view from your balcony attached to the room is GORGEOUS!; the housekeeping were friendly and very good at their job; we just loved it. They do have a restaurant downstairs and we ate bfast and lunch their one day and weren't too impressed. A little too high for the food they are giving if you ask me. They also have room service for the restaurant just in case you don't want to go downstairs and eat. The bar downstairs was decent, very friendly bartenders and drink prices weren't bad. It was nice to be able to go downstairs, grab a drink, and then go outside and sit by the ocean. They also have an outside bar that is open during the day selling drinks, beach items, hot dogs, etc. Every morning if you wake up early, you see a man outside setting up the chairs and umbrellas for the day. Get one, it is so worth it!!

The hotel isn't anywhere near the hustle and bustle of Atlantic Beach, but still close enough to Morehead City or Swansboro if you wanted to drive over to the mainland for dinner or shopping.

We absolutely LOVED this place and will be going back asap! They have awesome holiday rates and packages, so check them out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

All rooms are ocean front, clean nice rooms. They even have a restaurant and a bar. The restaurant is nothing special, but when you arrive late and don't want to drive anymore, it's a good choice. Fair prices and decent quality. Beach is at the back door.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

It's an oceanfront hotel. That's a win in my book. It's a seven floor hotel with ocean view on one side and sound view on the other. Be sure to check out local food and drink. There is a good bit going on fairly close by. There is also a NC Aquarium nearby. I'd skip the Clamdigger Restaurant in the hotel lobby. Breakfast was frozen hash browns and powdered eggs.

• Stayed July 2013
West Jefferson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I love this hotel! My family hasn't had a vacation in three years, so we booked a weekend in Atlantic Beach. We checked in another hotel and knew we couldn't stay there. We called the Clam Digger and they had 2 rooms left. We booked them. When we arrived, we were much happier! Every room in the hotel is ocean front with amazing views. The rooms are nicely furnished and very, very clean. One day our 2 year old was asleep, so we had a "Do Not Disturb" tag on the door. The cleaning staff was very thoughtful and gave fresh towels and garbage bags to my parents who were in the room next door. When they came the next day, our room was a mess because of all the stuff a 2 year old requires! They did a great job cleaning it. The room has sliding glass doors for the balcony & the railing was safe for my toddler. The pool was sparkling clean. There is a hot tub & pool with lots of chairs to sit on. We were there in the middle of July, yet never had a problem finding room to sit at the pool. The staff was very friendly and went out of the way to always speak to my family. We had to have a rollaway bed for my sister, and the staff brought it up within minutes and were extremely polite. We didn't feel like going out to eat a lot, so we called the restaurant downstairs. The food was affordable and delicious. It only took 15 minutes to get our food each time and it was fresh, hot and delicious. They also have a good variety of food choices. They hotel workers are up before 8:00 getting beach chairs & umbrellas set up. They do charge for chairs ($5 for a chair, $15 for 2 chairs, a table & an umbrella), but it is well worth it, compared to hauling our own. There is a flatscreen tv, small fridge & good air conditioning in the room. They even have white towels by the pool for pool or beach use. If we decide to visit again, I will definitely come back to this hotel. The price is reasonable, too. Now that I have a child, cleanliness is very important to me. This hotel is very, very clean and the entire staff is very courteous. I highly recommend this establishment!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were delighted with our stay at Clam Digger Inn in Atlantic Beach! Every room has a verandah and a gorgeous view of the ocean. Staff and maintenance crew are on the ball here, keeping the pool, grounds, rooms - everything pristine clean, and visitors catered to and happy. The restaurant is very cute, and serves up some delicious and reasonably-priced seafood, breakfast omelets, and lunches. We love the quiet, family-oriented beaches here, and apreciated that it was not packed with people... just lovely!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong - they are all beach-front with verandah!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've stayed at the Clam Digger many times over the years and every single time has been a 10 on a scale of 10. I wasn't going to write a review but didn't want people to think the staff were not friendly after reading a review about Dora and the person who could not have their room credited after the cutoff date/hour for cancel/rebooking of dates. I am very sorry it happened to her, especially because of her circumstances and hope her stay somewhere else turned out great. We all want/need a great time when we stay at the beach.

During the last 33 years I've been on all 15 beaches on the outer banks from Carova to Hatteras Village. Then the entire coast line from the 26 mile Crystal Coast of Bogue Banks down to Incredibly beautiful Topsail Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Pleasure Island and down to Sunset Beach at the southern end of NC. So far 63 separate beaches/islands on our coast. Just wanted to let you know my beach experience to let you know how much I like the Clamdigger Inn.

First, I have to completely agree with the reviewer about their strict cancellation policy and attention to their paperwork and staff. The hotel owners do not make any exceptions in order to guarantee that when you show up for your room on the day you booked it you "never" are told that there is a problem. The tradeoff is you get complete peace of mind that after a long drive, you walk right in and check in to your room. No hassel or delays. Actually, the strict cancellation policy is the only thing a person may not like about the Clamdigger Inn, however, you can certainly understand why they have it to guarantee other guests zero problems when they arrive and to open up last minute bookings for guests who the search last minute for a great room at the beach.

Without taking up anymore or your reading time, here is a short list of all the great things I like about the Clamdigger Inn without any exaggeration.

Restaurant- Without question the best service and food I've ever had at any Beach restaurant in NC. They open around 6am and close around 10pm. Its been managed by the same woman for more than 20 years. The food comes to your table in about 5 minutes, every waitress is friendly and times everything from the appetizer, salad, entrée perfectly instead of pushing it all on your table at once. Breakfast specials are about 4 dollars, lunch specials are about 7 and Dinner specials are about 11 dollars. They have a huge selection of food and drinks from the hotel bar are available. I've probably had over a hundred meals over the years from the restaurant and every single one was great. I am a difficult traveler to please but have to give the low price, yummy food, great service of their restaurant a 12 on a scale of 10. They also have room service.

Bar- Very low key. Not many people during the week, except high season, weekends have a nice crowd. Pool table, juke box/dance floor, live DJ's on the weekend, huge selection of drinks/wine/beer, friendly bartenders. Many groups bring about 20 employees for retreats every year so you will often see them there in the off season.

Pool and hot tub - Medium size pool, lots of loungers, hot tub. Fun to come from the beach loungers/ocean swim, take a dip in the cold pool, then the hot tub, then without having to climb back out of the hot tub just slide over the wall back into the cold pool. Outside the pool area they have a separate area for smoking and relaxing and at the other side have some tables along the dune for eating your takeout lunch. Small tiki hut for drinks next to pool operated in season but the bar is right next to the pool with a big continuous window of glass and door if you want to go inside.

Beach loungers and umbrellas- available in season from late May to mid October. 15 dollars your first day then 10 dollars a day all other day, you get 2 loungers per umbrella. They have a top notch staff that gets there at 7 in the morning and sets them up. First thing I do when I arrive for a week is tell them to have mine set up with my name tied to the umbrella first thing ever morning. I get up at 6:30, go for a long swim (great swimming beach) come in and get a takeout coffee, walk the beach for an hour, come back, have huge breakfast, take my things out to the lounger, go for another swim, then the pool and hot tub, then back to the lounger...repeat all day. When they are available, you have to rent the loungers and umbrellas which are huge thick blue canvas, with heavy wooden shafts drilled into the sand by turbo drillers. Tip- go to walmart and buy yourself a thick comfy full length lounger pad to put on top. Best 30 dollar investment I made years ago after seeing someone else do it.

Rooms- every room is ocean front, I think they have 115 rooms on 7 floors. All with completely private patios, very important item regular beach goers insist upon. Very clean. Small mini fridge/coffee pot/microwave, large dresser to put things on top with good size drawers, good TVs, small rack to hang clothes with storage on top across from good size open area sink/mirror, lots of good quality towels, shower/tub and toilet are separate in room next to sink area. Water pressure is average.

Always had safe parking, you can always see your car from the completely windowed hallway outside your room. Extremely safe area. No foot traffic so the beach is never crowded, huge floodlight at night on the beach until about midnight, thousands of seagulls give a great show feeding on the fish.

I'd write more but this is already way to long. Just wanted to help other friendly beach people. So many people have helped me out tremendously over the years with their candid honest reviews. The only thing I wish they would expand is the 9am-9pm pool hours but that's the normal hours of almost every place at the beach.

The Clamdigger Inn is not perfect and like any hotel you can have occasional problems with something but for the price, service, amenities I have yet to find a better hotel on any beach in NC. Hope my review helped you make up your mind. Stay at it just once and you see why I like it so much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Clam Digger Inn? Share your experiences!