“Birthday get-away.....perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clam Digger Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Clam Digger Inn
You added Clam Digger Inn to your Saves list
511 Salter Path Road, PO Box 846, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Greenville, North Carolina
“Birthday get-away.....perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband surprised me with a stay here for my birthday. It was the perfect beach get-a-way.

As others have mentioned the hotel is dated, however at the beach unless you knock down and start over things will not be as "crisp." With that being said, they do not charge outlandish prices either.

This is a ocean side, ocean front hotel, with all ocean front rooms. The bed was comfy, room was clean and for an older hotel the hotel worked well (sometimes they are ultra slow) They have a pool, with hot tub, private beach, lounge that has weekly DJ's and specials, and best of all, the Clam Digger Restaurant.

We had 4 meals during our stay. The menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner are different enough that you can go back over and over. The food was wonderful and prices were great for being at the beach at a convenient location.

Room Tip: We were in 718 and I loved being up and away from everything....good view, but I dont know that ther...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cherokee, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is one of the few properties in the area where the hotel is located with a true Oceanfront view. You could not ask for a more spectacular view of the ocean or to be any closer. All of the rooms are Oceanfront. The hotel met every expectation for the price range that it is in.

Yes, it is a little dated - however, for the rate you could not ask for more. The rooms are very clean and even though I had my "Privacy Please" sign on the door, housekeeping went above and beyond the call of duty - leaving all of the necessary replacement towels and supplies on the door. In all of my years of traveling, I have never seen such a courtesy.

I would suggest bringing your own pillows, which I always do anyway - just a personal preference because I like a really full, fluffy, soft pillow. The stock pillows were a little flat for my taste, but again that's just me being particular.

I did not get particularly good mobile phone signal inside the room, but it was okay. I was also never able to successfully connect to the free Wi-Fi from my room which was a little frustrating, but again - I was okay with it. The extremely awesome rate more than made up for the technology/connectivity.

Also, be advised that in the restaurant that they are not very accommodating to special requests or thinking outside of the box to ensure that the customer has their food exactly the way they like it - but again, not a big deal for me.

Overall - this is the perfect inexpensive, no frills, on a budget beach getaway that I would highly recommend! Thank you to all the staff of the Clam Digger Inn.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows if you like a soft, fluffy, full pillow.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SE USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We live nearby and always wanted to try one of their room/meal off-season deals. This weekend we finally did. And it was fun. First of all, the rooms have great ocean views--it feels almost like being on a boat. Watching the sea change colors and all the activities n the beach beats TV! Our room was fine, the bed comfy and the linens soft. Even the pillows were nice--the the usual rocks they give you.

For our two dinners, we went for the steak and it was fine...the micro-waved taters were the usual limp ones you expect, the house salad was nice. But the restaurant shines at breakfast. Our ham and cheese omelets tasted home-made, the taters ditto, nice and crisp, the biscuits almost floated off the plate they were so light--and the coffee was good and strong and our sweet waitress kept our cups topped off.

It was fun to play tourist in our own backyard...we got in two long beach walks, some reading on the supplied chaise lounges, a walk in the maritime forest behind the nearby aquarium (no fee required), a visit to Fort Macon--don't miss the new visitors center displays and film--and had a superb lunch at nearby Crab's Claw.

I must commend each staff person we came in contact with--all were friendly, out-going, helpful and just downright nice folks. We'll come back next year for a winter ocean getaway. I like The Clam Digger Inn...it's the way beach hotels used to be before they got all slick and corporate...down home friendly rules here.

Room Tip: We had a two-bed double on the fifth floor and were happy with it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I attended a conference at the Clam Digger Inn. The hotel was incredibly accommodating to the needs and special requests of the conference attendees. I was very impressed by that. We had a very unique group. The rooms and facilities were clean but extremely dated. The beach access and views were perfect. Overall, our stay was good. The hotel itself was quiet. The staff was friendly. The restaurant was good for breakfast, but the other meals were hit or miss (we ate off property the rest of the time). However, the location to other area attractions was perfect. It was a decent stay for the amount of money we paid for our room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
McLeansboro, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is our second stay at the Clamdigger in Atlantic Beach NC. 1st time was in October 2011 and now March 2013. Our son is stationed at Cherry Point NC so we vacation with a purpose. We love that all rooms have ocean views and direct access to the beach. Rooms are nice, bathrooms are small but we really don't spend a lot of time in the room. Every room has a balcony which we love sitting and watching the ocean. Off season prices are great. Restuarant is okay little over priced. Location is great for beach lovers but a small drive to shopping and restuarants.

• Stayed March 2013
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This little treasure will forever be a favorite of ours. No matter how many times we go back we are always welcomed with courteous friendly staff. The rooms are clean and comfy, and the ocean view the every room offers is simply breath taking! I will come here always to get away from the real world fr a night or two. The peace and tranquility offered here is unavailable at most places!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Well here we are again at our annual winter weekend getaway trip. Nothing's changed and we like it that way! We got the Friday /Saturday package which included food. Best bargin anywhere! The views are GREAT and the staff is better than some 5 star hotels.I needed a extra pillow which they brought up and wouldn't take my tip that I tried to give.This place is like a time capsule from the 70's. I expected to see Kitty,Eric,Hyde, Donna, and the rest of the cast from the 70's SHOW pop up at any time! Only thing I can say is ..slip on the BELLBOTTOMS head to the lounge and dance the night away! A good time at a great price, during hard economic times!
Booking Summer Trip before we leave, maybe we'll meet the Foreman's during that stay!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Clam Digger Inn? Share your experiences!