“Not a Family Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oceanana Family Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
You added Oceanana Family Motel to your Saves list
700 East Fort Macon Road, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
West Jefferson, North Carolina
“Not a Family Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I read the reviews on here & booked a weekend vacation for my family. We checked in, moved our stuff in, then checked out. We were on the second floor. The steps looked like they were going to rot. I was scared I wouldn't make it up or back down. There was no regular door to the room - only sliding glass doors. The railway outside the door only had two rails. I have a 2 year old. I kept imagining him getting away from me, just for a second, and falling through. I knew I couldn't sleep in the room for fear of the sliding door (which was tricky to lock) and the horrible railing. The comforter had pet hair on it. We tried to turn the tv on and a plastic bag fell down from somewhere. The fridge was in the bathroom, which was disgusting to me. We walked around the hotel grounds, and it looked like it was falling apart. I read on here that they were undergoing major renovations, but I saw nothing being done.Yes, I knew that it was an older establishment and yes, I paid for a basic room. But it still wasn't worth what we paid. If I was just going with my husband, or a few friends, I would not have such a problem with the hotel. But it is not a place for a family with young children. On a positive note, the staff was very nice and they did give us a full refund.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TraceCooperNC, Owner at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We are sorry that you did not feel that our motel was family friendly. We have been catering to families for over 50 years and want to continue to do so in the future and we appreciate taking the time to let us know about your concerns.

As you noted, we are in the midst of a major renovation which is addressing many of the issues you mentioned in this review. Specifically, we are replacing the doors and windows in rooms as well as upgrading some of our staircases and railings. All of our stairs and railings are structurally sound, however they were constructed at a time when the building code did nor require the small gaps in rails and posts that current codes require.

To date, we have renovated about one-third of our rooms and we recommend that potential guests request a newly renovated room when making a reservation. In the middle of the summer season when the motel is full with over a hundred families, we aren't able to perform serious renovations, which is why you may not have seen much work going on on the night you stayed with us.

Again, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations and are working to address the problems that you mentioned.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Pine Knoll Shores, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Older establishment, but they are in the middle of a major renovation. Most of the work is done. Great location right on the ocean. I have been going there for years. Can't beat the service-- a family run business that has had the same staff for years. There is no corporate office in a far away big city. The owners are on site and I like it that way.

Room Tip: No fitness center or room service.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My family vacationed at Oceanana from 1984 - 2005. Great for families with children age 0 - 16. Continential breakfast by the pool daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Watermelon Parties Wednesdays & Sundays afternoon. Renovated pier with a gazebo at the end soon to be a bar. Free pier fishing with hotel stay. Lifeguards on site to help you tote chairs and beach items to the beach. Bike trail & lots of playgrounds for ages 3-16.

Room Tip: Suite room offer kitchens to cook dinner for your family. Down east rooms are the largest regular ro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Greentop, Mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Oceanana is an older Motel so it does not have all the frills that recently built Motels have but it is clean, the staff are very courteous, a tropical breakfast is served each morning, outdoor playground and swimming pool for children and the location can not be beat if you are in the Atlantic Beach area. It is located right on the beach giving you direct access to the only remaining Pier in the area and the beach itself. It is very close to many attractions in the area making it a great "base" camp. We have stayed here twice and would like to return someday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We came down here for the NC Seafood Festival, all the other places were booked, I read all the bad reviews of this place and almost didn't book it.......I took into consideration the types of bad reviews, like brick walls and staff not being friendly etc etc, all of which I don't care about, I mean I see the staff when I check it and check out........whether they are friendly or not what's it matter to me I'll never seen them.......all the fancy amenities I don't care about either, after all I booked this place to sleep while I'm at the beach, if I'm going to be spending a significant amount of time inside. Then I should have stayed at home.........we're here for four nights, I'm writing this after my first night because I listed all the complaints prior to getting here and I went through them all within the first hour of checking in........not one of them would change my mind about this place......

Me and my daughter of three had a ball on the play ground set, this place is awesome if you have kids, yeh the place is old but it's absolutely great.......if this place is from the 70's then there's ja reason it's still in business.....I will definitely be back here.......pool over looks the beach, and the pier is right there.......please don't listen to the negative reviews, this place is awesome.........do what I did Jane give it a chance.......I would consider the folks that wrote all the negative reviews, id put money on it that they would complain at the Hilton also......I love the fact that I can park my car right outsider my room.....we got the downcast room, it's behind the main building and kind secluded, nice privacy and about a 30sec kwalk to the play ground and pool, extra 30 sec to the beach and pier..........loving this place already on day 1 of 4.......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Was driving all night around this area trying find somewhere to sleep after our long drive from ohio. Found Oceana, and the man at the desk, i think name was Steve?? Soooo nice & welcoing. Couldnt even beliece it so reassuring with such kindhearted staff. Will def return. Thx steve!!! Roons are nice great location!!

• Stayed September 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great place to stay as a family. Yes, the rooms aer older as this is a very old motel. Our room was clean, carpet was ok to be a beachfront family motel. The staff are very friendly. The guests are also friendly. The pool is nice and is deeper than most pools. They have grills you can use right in front of your room (on bottom floor- all things needed included). Continental breakfast is good with good selection. We had 2 teenage kids with us and they had alot of fun. My son wants to stay here each time we come. The pier is right next to it. It is only about 4 or 5 blocks from "the circle" and beach shops- so walking distance-Definatly recommend to people with children. They also are one of the few motels that have a seperate room- if you have older children with you-

Room Tip: lower level- you can grill in front of your room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!