“I always go here for grouper” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Fresh seafood and Tacos, wraps, blackened fish,fried oysters, crab cakes ,grouper bites
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
“I always go here for grouper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Once I discovered the Shark Shack and grouper I can't get enough. Every time I visit the condo with my friends we go and usually more than one time during our stay. We do not have grouper in central PA. So by the time I return to NC it is the first place we eat.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Family-Friendly outdoor dining with good, casual food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

After being cooped up in a car seat the whole ride to the beach, the last thing our toddler wants is to get in a high chair. When we arrive at Atlantic Beach with our tummies rumbling, we head over to Shark Shack. They have an enclosed outdoor area with corn hole and lots of toys for the little ones. The food is casual, without many health food options, but very good. We love their grouper bites with homemade remoulade and our son enjoys the grilled cheese. They also have burgers, hot dogs and chicken sandwiches for those who don't care for seafood. The service is very, very friendly and fast. They serve beer and I have heard that it is a fun place to come at night for corn hole and music. Skip the drive thru and go where the locals go for a quick bite!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Would be good on a sunny day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We came here after my 1st choice of shrimp burger place had already closed for the day. I remember reading about this place on TA, so we decided to give it a whirl. Cute little "shack" right on the main road in AB. I got the shrimp burger and my friend had the BBQ sandwich. Total came to $24 with 2 sweet teas. A little pricey for a lunch place, but you do get a lot of food. The shrimp burger was interesting. I was hoping it would be like the "other" place (I had such good memories!), but it was just a bunch of fried shrimp piled on a kaiser roll. At least the shrimp were huge and tasty, but they kept falling off the bun! They had 3 different sauces, cocktail, tarter and a remoulade. I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I reverted to my childhood favorite of mixing the cocktail and tarter together. :) The BBQ was also good, but my friend was dissapointed when it came with a "Kraft" style BBQ sauce instead of the eastern NC vinegar based sauce. I also thought the sweet tea tasted like the one out of the soda fountain, not fresh brewed (sorry to be so picky, but when you travel 2600 miles home, you want some fresh sweet tea!!)

The outdoor area was super cute. Basically like your grandparent's back yard. They had picnic tables with umbrellas, badmitton and cornhole. Unfortunately, it looked like it was going to rain, it was really breezy and cool, so we just ate and ran. I would of enjoyed hanging out for a couple of beers and a game of cornhole!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Sharkin' Good Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say that we travel a lot with our dogs so we look for places that are dog-friendly, and not overpriced. The Shark Shack met our criteria. Apparently we picked the right day because the item I wanted (grouper bites) was actually a lunch special! Another special was the Danish Burger, which took some coaxing from Tom, the owner, for my husband to order (he's not big into cabbage). However, both our meals were fabulous! The grouper was lightly breaded and was moist. The burger perfectly medium with cabbage slaw, sautéed onions, remoulade and thin sliced cucumber pickles. Both had an ample serving of fries. Nice eclectic beach atmosphere. All outside, so make sure to bring a sweater if it's windy. Chef Tom even brought the food out to our table, now that's service. I can definitely say we will be back. For the price, it's the best place in the neighboorhood.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Gotta Time it Right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I noticed a lot of the negative reviews had to do with the dining arrangements. (I also noticed that of the 2 "terrible" reviews one was written by a yankee so that one can be ignored out of hand).

We visit the beach 12 months a year. Sometimes, ladies and gentlemen, one ought choose a dining location other than one that only offers outdoor seating. That is just a tip for those who are taking notes. That being said, this is a great go-to spot for shoulder season. For the money the fried seafood is right on. In fact, you can spend a lot more for mess that is not as good. The burgers will put you to sleep in 30 minutes.
I'm not saying I'd make a road trip just to hit the Shark Shack but if you are staying in the area you will probably drive by several times. If the crowds and weather are right and you are not frightened by your cardiologists admonitions, park your rig and grab a substantial eat with your hands meal. Somebody in the group needs to order the grouper bites for sharing.

• Visited September 2012