“Okay room, but pool was severe” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Motel

Sandpiper Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Sandpiper Motel
Save Saved
You added Sandpiper Motel to your Saves list
200 E Fort Macon Rd, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Clayton, Georgia
“Okay room, but pool was severe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Myself and 8 family members rented couple of rooms for weekend.
Okay hotel for the price and the availability.
Major Complaint: The Pool. It is pretty and looks clean, but I noticed right away that there was no chlorine smell. I dismissed that and dove in anyway. I wore my new deep black bathing suit with the attached black shorts. My daughter had one like it but it was deep blue. My niece had on a new blue Hello Kitty bikini and my sister wore a green shirt over her suit (as not to sunburn). When we emerged an hour and half later, my bathing suit on top was grey and bottoms were deep BROWN. Daughter now has a two toned dull blue suit and Hello Kitty is now on a white bikini for my 4 year old nephew. Sister's green shirt was now a light aqua. That alarmed me, but damage done and no one to complain to, I just sighed. Next day, yes, we went back in and the suits stayed about the same color, but after an hour, both myself and one of my nephews began to have a burning sensation all over...we both had to jump out and run to wash off. I did not go back in the pool.
Other complaints: Room security was not high. No deadbolts and the locks on the door (standard door handles) did not work properly. No microwave in room and freezer in minifridge was iced over.
Not once did we get more toilet tissue and we had to find the maids and borrow the vacuum to clean floor ourselves.
The towels provided are a joke and there was no mat or anything to step out of shower on.
Water in shower was very unpredictable.

Perks: Ice machine outside worked well.
Pool had area to rinse off with fresh water.
Beds were soft and clean.
TV had basic cable channels and WIFI included in price.
Free Coffee and doughnuts in the AM provided in the office.
Outside chairs to sit on as well.
Despite being very booked, the rooms were quiet.

So: the only real complaint I had was with the pool water. It must have had straight up bleach in it. No other explanation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side/corners are quiet. And be sure to ask about the pool and if it is bleached or has...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kernersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We had a bad experience with the Sand Dollar motel and weren't sure if we would get a room because of the 4th of July week but this motel saved us. We went to ask them if they could accommodate our large family...they arranged for us to have 2 rooms (1 kitchenette and 1 double) for less than the Sand Dollar charged for 1 night for a tiny room that only sleeps 4...When I checked in the people were so welcoming and friendly...they showed me the rooms they had for us and asked if they would work. The rooms were clean, the outside was clean and they were well stocked. The kitchenette didn't have any pots and pans or plates and silverware so the owners went and bought everything for us to make our stay comfortable....I had an enjoyable vacation and we loved it so much we got an extra night and we are planning a return trip every year and we will still stay with the Sandpiper motel...

Room Tip: I absolutely loved the rooms we had...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I had no issues at all and enjoyed my stay.

Very friendly and helpful welcome from the owners son who is the manager. Location is good with a mere few minutes walk to the beach front. The road in front did not disturb me at all.

My room was recently refurbished and it was absolutely fine...clean, modern and comfy.
The pool is lovely...bright, spotless with a clean surround.

I see reviews that complain of bad rooms. I believe they are remodelling as funds allow and I wish the owners well as this will for sure make this a very good motel indeed, and be good for profits. I have always been a firm believer in my own business (property rentals) in keeping my business up to date/refurbishing and doing so on a regular basis.

If my room is the norm or will be then this is a good place to spend a night or more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Nothing on the walls, dirty bathroom floor, hair all over the sink, hole in bedspread, and was not cheap.

• Stayed June 2012
Amherst, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I were going to Moorehead City to visit a sick friend and we had never been to Atlantic Beach..our friend's husband checked out several motels and Sandpiper was the friendliest..even offering us a discount because we were coming their on a mission, so to speak. When we got there, they were so kind to us and gave us a really good deal on a little single bed room. It has ALL the basics..bed, table and chair, fridge and cable...bathroom was clean and water was good and hot..air conditioner was great.bed was comfortable,too and we slept good!.its a basic motel room for people who come to relax and then hit the beach...which we STILL got to do although we were visiting. We stayed for two days and on the second morning the cleaning lady promptly changed our towels and asked us if we needed anything . Upon leaving at check out, the couple that ran it was so nice and friendly and offered us a good summertime rate when we come back..WHICH WE WILL! (by the way, they have a nice pool as well)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Belhaven, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

It was the only motel with a room and it was dirty and small and when we checked in she charged us $70.00 and when we checked out she was going to charge us $70.00 again!!! they cheat you out of your money and have very bad rooms!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
nc spring hope
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

It was better than expected. The staff was great. The room was clean & comfortable. VERY family friendly. We have stayed several places at Atlantic Beach, but now we have found our home away from home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Sandpiper Motel? Share your experiences!