“A charming piece of America” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hollowell's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hollowell's Motel
You added Hollowell's Motel to your Saves list
108 East Fort Macon Road, Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Oslo, Norway
“A charming piece of America”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

A genuine charming motel with great rates, five minutes from the beach watched by diligent lifeguards. The rooms are spacious and clean. The kitchenette was ideal for serving our five-member family breakfast. Chairs outside to enjoy the afternoon breeze and the beautiful sunset - we lived in the building by the street. A diner next door and two fantastic restaurants in walking distance up the street towards the bridge. Both seafood and meat was delicious at a decent price enjoyed by the seaside. A charming local beauty parlor across the street which accepts reservations after closing hours. Food Lion and a great coffee shop a short drive away. The heat wave caused us to drive to other small communities to enjoy lunch at different great local diners. Service was great and able to accommodate a room for my homecoming son from Afghanistan on short notice. If in the area again, we would gladly return. Thanx to all of you running this charming piece of America for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pembroke, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

This isn't a bad place, but it's not great either. The room we stayed in (two room kitchenette) was a bit of a letdown. As it was my wife and I traveling with our two teen kids, we figured that two rooms would be a good fit. Both beds (doubles) are in the same room. There is a futon sofa in the 2nd room/kitchen combo. The bathroom is tiny. I know you don't spend much time in the bathroom, but still it's very small.

On the good side, everyone who works there is very helpful and friendly. Their customer service is outstanding. The location is convenient being only 2-3 blocks from the beach and next door to a delicious diner.

Would I return here? Perhaps. But only with my wife. It's not quite big enough for a family of four.

• Stayed July 2012
Pulaski, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Since my grandparents were from Morehead we stayed each summer when we visited. I remember the original owners Russell and Betty. What sweeties they were.
When I decided to take my 12-year old on a "nostalgia tour" there was no question in my mind where we were going to stay. I had stayed here in 2006 and felt at home.
When I sent an e-mail in January to inquire about a reservation and rates for June, I didn't receive a response. In early March I was finally able to get through to make a reservation. We decided to get a kitchenette room so that we didn't have to go out for dinner. Now I didn't expect much when I booked the room. I knew that the rooms were pretty much the same as they've always been and I was OK with that. I wanted my daughter to see it as I did.
When we came in, we were met with a sticky floor in the kitchen area and they only supplied one kitchen washcloth and dish towel. No paper towel or anything so I was forced to use a bathroom washcloth. This wasn't a huge deal because things happen and it was easy to miss.

For me things went south when we got back at 3 p.m. on Sunday (we checked in early Saturday evening) and housekeeping had not come. The beds weren't made, the towels weren't replaced, nothing. The room was exactly as we'd left it. We had only wanted 2 new wash clothes. I thought the beds could have been made at the very minimum. The maid did come on Monday but with checking out early Tuesday, it didn't matter at that point.

There was a bedroom with 2 double beds. They were comfortable enough. I've slept on worse. The bedside lamp didn't work. The curtains weren't meant to close so you're on a first floor room that over looks the parking lot with sheer curtains and no blinds. The living room has blinds and valances.

As another reviewer said, the bathroom is straight out of the 50's and 60's. I'm a bigger person so the tiny shower was harder to navigate for me. This really wasn't a big deal to me given that in reality you spend very little time in the shower. The water was hot and the pressure was OK.

They do have Wi-Fi, but you have to ask for the password (it's not in the room anywhere.) and we found the service to be spotty at times. Again, not a big deal for me, but for a constantly plugged-in 12 year-old, it's huge.

It is centrally located and the beach is a short walk. Fort Macon is a quick car ride and the bridge to Morehead City isn't that far either.

For me, this will be my last visit and the next time I'm in town, I'll stay elsewhere. I prefer to remember it the way it was and NOT as it is now.

Room Tip: Bring extra beach towel for curtains if you get a kitchenette room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I love this Hotel!! I have been going ever since i was a baby!! The owner treats you like family and loves the customers!! Mrs Hollowell (God rest her soul) has ran the hotel after her husband passed and handed it down to her children since she could not handle it anymore. I believe that she has since passed but the hotel has not fallen down from our expectations any! Always a great location to the 4 Corners diner and Wings as well. Hope to go back soon and many more times with my own family! Enjoy the stay!

Room Tip: All the A/C units work well, higher floor provide better views all the time!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Atlantic Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

When my husband and I checked into our room, we felt we had gone back in time. The bathroom (including the shower) looked almost exactly like the ones in the home I grew up in in the 50's and 60's. It was kind of neat. I can't overemphasize how clean the room was. Although we didn't use it, the kitchenette was very well stocked with glassware, pots and pans, dishes, toaster, etc., and it too was spotless. It included a microwave, stove and oven, and a refrigerator with a small freezer that worked unbelievably well. This is not an upscale motel, but for the price and location, it was truly a bargain. Another bonus was that right next door was a '50s style diner. Good food and good prices.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, Nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Hollowell's is at a great location -- right next to the Four Corners restaurant (a local well-known diner) and close by "The Circle", the center of town.

The motel is dated, but well-maintained and clean. For a less-than-luxurious accommodate, you get convenience and good value for your money. Our room had a king bed, phone, TV, small refrigerator, and microwave. I asked for a coffeemaker, and was brought a 12-cup maker that worked fine. The shower is small, but clean. The room itself is more spacious than other motel's I've stayed in that are older, similar to Hollowell's.

The staff itself is accommodating, particularly since we arrived late at night and needed a special set-up for getting in late.

If good value is what you want, with good location and friendly service, then this is great. If you want to be pampered with more luxurious surroundings and don't mind paying half again as much money, then you want to plan to go elsewhere. As for my wife and me, we'll be happy to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 150 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#2 of 6 in Morehead City
4.5 of 5 stars 313 reviews
Peppertree Atlantic Beach, a Festiva Resort

Been to Hollowell's Motel? Share your experiences!