“BEST HOTEL, NOT ONLY IN ATLANTIC BEACH, NC, BUT ANYWHERE!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Sand & Surf Inn
400 Henderson Blvd., Atlantic Beach, NC 28512   |
Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Atlantic Beach
Southern Virginia
“BEST HOTEL, NOT ONLY IN ATLANTIC BEACH, NC, BUT ANYWHERE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have been coming to the Butler s Sand Dollar for many years and have always enjoyed it immensely. We came upon it by accident when we had planned to stay at the hotel on the same road down on the corner across the road, and the man was very rude to us and actually made me cry, because we had called ahead and told them that we had gotten lost and would be running late. We got there and it was dinner time, so I called and they said they were at a restaurant, so I gladly told them we d find something to do until they were done. At approximately 9pm, we went back as promised and it was locked and a sign said they were closed and not to ring the bell! I rang the bell anyway, thinking they didn t mean me since I had agreed to come at 9pm. The man who came down the stairs was missing his shirt and angry and practically yelling at me. I finally just turned and told my son, who was only 9 at the time, to come on and we just walked out and we drove up to the Butler s and they were sitting on the front porch and I was still crying when I got out and asked them if they had any vacancies or knew of a decent and friendly place to stay and explained why it was last minute. They gladly welcomed me and my son and I raved about them when we got home to my boyfriend, who is now my husband, and we have been staying with them when they are open every time since and that was in the summer of 2004!!! And for the past 8 years this coming summer, they have made us feel like family. Mr. Butler sits outside in the rocker and talks to my husband and son and we see him at the flea market on the weekends. Mrs. Butler is the sweetest lady you could ever want to meet. We truly love this couple and look so forward to staying with them when we visit and are extremely disappointed when we go in the off season and have to stay somewhere else, although we definitely don t hold it against them! LOL Also, they are the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. They keep their little apartments fully stocked with dishes, utensils, fully furnished, etc. and they keep it immaculate for a very reasonable price. I dread the day they decide to retire because people like the Butler s are a very rare breed these days. We love you, Mr. & Mrs. Butler! Look forward to seeing you again this year!!! Dennis Bo , Jr. & Candy Love Willis & Tyler Scearce, Dry Fork, Virginia

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

3 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We planned months in advance to take a two week trip to the OBX. At the last minute we decided to add a few days to our trip and started looking around on the internet. We found this great little motel on the internet but couldn't find any reviews. After making several phone calls we found that everything was already booked up. Another local motel with high ratings suggested we give these folks a call. Wow! I am so glad they did.

The hotel only has four units! The room we stayed in had two bedrooms, and a small kitchen and living area. The unit was spotless clean. The furnishings were a bit dated, but the room was in great shape. The owner lives in the same building and was extremely friendly. They made us feel like we were part of the family. Now, I know what you are thinking..."Oh, they are only recommending this place because the owner was nice to them..." Well, it is much more than that. If you are looking for the Hilton, don't stop here. If you want a "mom and pop" owned motel, that is very clean, very affordable and in a great location-give them a try!

Pros: Had a fully equipped kitchen, full sized stove and refrigerator. It had comfortable beds and the A/C worked well. The walk to the beach was easy. There was a grassy little "front yard" and a great front porch with nice chairs. The walls were nice and thick, we didn't hear a sound from the other rooms. Probably one of the nicest coastal motels I've ever stayed in. (And I've stayed in many!)

Cons: They only have a few rooms and so I imagine it books up early with repeat visitors. Not real close to businesses if that's your thing. (that was actually a plus for us!) No WIFI, but who needs that on vacation!

Give this chance a visit, you'll not regret it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sand & Surf Inn? Share your experiences!