“The. Best. Restaurant. In. ASHEBORO. N.C.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Asheboro
Cuisines: American
“The. Best. Restaurant. In. ASHEBORO. N.C.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I. Found. This. On. Tripadvisor while I. Was. Looking. For. A. Place. To eat. We. Had. The. Fried chicken and. It. Was. Wonderful. The. Service. Was. Out standing. And. They. Have. The. Best. Apple dumpling. With. Ice I have. Ever. Eaten.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Asheboro, North Carolina
“Exceptionally good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

One of the best restaurants I've eaten in anywhere. The food is just plain good. While most places like this server "cheap" food at a low price, Magnolia23 shoots for quality. I had the fried chicken, mac&;cheese, yams, cabbage, and cornbread. It was all great. The owner gave me a free serving of the BarBQue he was preparing for the next day. He acted like he was showing me pictures of he grandchildren. He was certainly proud of it and well he should be.

Denver, Colorado
“Great food and great people. Don't miss this gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

OMG, what a find!  Spending the night in Asheboro en route to Myrtle Beach, we had selected Magnolia 23 for dinner based on Tripadvisor reviews.  We weren't disappointed!  We arrived about 8 PM and someone just leaving told us it was a great place -- but it closed at 8 PM.  The most gracious proprietor you could hope to find, Don Simmons, overheard our conversation and invited our party of four in.

The Friday specials included pulled pork and catfish.  Our table had two orders of each, and they were indeed special.  Usually I would have ordered the pulled pork, but I grew up enjoying catfish in the Midwest and it is not a common offering in Denver.  Both of us who chose catfish agreed that Don had prepared the best catfish we have ever had.  It was prepared with a wonderfully seasoned cornmeal breading, not at all over-powering, but adding just the right amount of flavor.  The filets were cooked to perfection, moist and flaky.  The wives also were impressed with the pulled pork, as was I when my wife shared a bit with me.  Don prepares the pork with apple juice and cooks it for 9 hours.   The servings of both catfish and pork were ample, and with our sides of slaw, potato wedges and cornbread, we simply were too full to try out that evening's dessert-- apple tart with ice cream.

This is definitely a place not to miss.  Just be sure to get there early!  It is exceptionally clean, and the staff is very friendly and welcoming.  Sweet tea served in Mason jars, an antique tin ceiling, and outstanding food and service make this an extremely enjoyable dining experience.  Whenever we get back to Asheboro, dinner at Magnolia 23 is a given.  We still have 7 nights in Myrtle Beach and 2 nights in Charlotte before flying back home, but our dinner at Magnolia 23 last night has already made this vacation memorable and undoubtedly will be a, if not the, high point of our trip!

Las Vegas, Nevada
“pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

went in for a fast lunch and stayed to savor....had tomato-basil soup for the first time and loved it....some homemade tomato soups can be too sharp tasting and acidic; not this one..it was smooth and full of flavor. and you'd think a grilled cheese sandwich would not be a big item but this one was a real winner. good prices, excellent service.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Tonight my wife and I had the first of what will become many dinners in this incredible resturant. Every item on the menu is home made with never frozen ingedients made with care, love and pride. Tonight we had the pork chops. They were thick juicy and so very tender. The corn on the cob was fresh and tasted like it was picked today. The owner/ chef visited every table to make sure everyone enjoyed their meal. We felt like family in this hidden gem of a resturant

• Visited April 2013