“Great Zoo” 5 of 5 stars

North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Great Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice zoo with plenty to see. You will need a full day to see all of the areas. Food in the food court was good and not overly priced as some attractions tend to be. All areas were kept clean.
Definitely a place we will go back to.

Visited July 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
38 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've lived in North Carolina my whole life, and I've traveled from Raleigh every year to visit the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro. Each time it’s a new experience, and the North Carolina Zoo staff and zookeepers do a very good job of keeping the place clean, friendly, and refreshing with new animals. When you go I highly recommend wearing a good pair of walking shoes as the park is very large, which is a good thing. There is a lot to see in this park, and it will take you close to 4-5 hours to see it all.

Visited September 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Prepare to walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a wonderful time at the zoo. The walking was the only thing to even harp on, but how else are you going to get around the zoo? It is a very large park so be prepared to walk. Wear sneakers. We started on the Africa side because we were told that the animals there were less active in the heat of the day. Once we went through that it was on to the North American side. Once we were finished there we caught a shuttle back to the African side. They have a trail that you can walk if you want to walk back to the African side, but at almost 2 miles long and having walked the entire park pushing a baby stroller I was pooped. If you bring a stroller I would recommend bringing a jogging stroller. The larger wheels are easier to push around the park. The entire path was paved, but there are uneven spots and uphill walks. If you stop and eat the walk will probably take 4-5 hours, but not stopping to eat you can complete in about 3 hours.

Visited September 2013
Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Great Family Day Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I took out nine month old daughter to the zoo last Friday. She thoroughly enjoyed looking at the animals.

The zoo is clean and the exhibits are well maintained. If you have little ones I would suggest bringing a stroller because it is a lot of walking to be done. There are many trails and its more like a wildlife park than a traditional zoo.

There are several restaurants which serve mediocre and overly priced food (isnt that always the case) but the zoo does allow picnic lunches so next time we'll do that. Visit the zoo's website for instructions about the picnics. I know they have some regulations like no coolers or something like that. My husband and I spent $20 on a personal pizza, a chicken wrap, two bags of chips and a bottled water! There are plenty of water fountains throughout the zoo, but I would bring my own water because the bottled water there cost $3.

The trail is nicely shaded so even on a hot day walking around wasn't unbearable. They have some air conditioned pavilions and indoor exhibits if you need a break from the heat.

The people who work at the zoo are some of the most pleasant I've ever met.

This is a great day trip, and you can do this in a budget if you plan to bring a picnic lunch.

Visited August 2013
Carrboro, NC
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

A great experience at the North Carolina Zoo. Even at the tail end of August, the tree canopy kept us cool. We loved the natural habitats and saw many of the animals close up. The Africa section was the best!

Visited August 2013