“Delicious German selections” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Arden
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Omaha, Nebraska
“Delicious German selections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Traveling near Asheville, NC and saw this restaurant option in a brochure. Cute style building with German decor. Friendly staff and excellent chef. We had the 2 German pancakes as appetizer despite the basket of delicious homemade light and dark bread. We shared the German platter that gave us plenty of food and nice selection including half brat, half knock wurst with grilled onions, bone in pork chop, sauerbraten, jaeger schnitzel with a a yummy mushroom sauce. Sides included red cabbage, sour kraut, and spatzel. We skipped the many beer options. Enjoyable choice.

• Visited March 2014

Geneva, Illinois
“Great German Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was my second trip to Black Forest, and it was as good as the first. You have to try the marinated olives - they're delicious. For my meal I had schnitzel, spaetzel, and German potato salad. All were very good, even though I'm not a big fan of German potato salad. Our server was very attentive and friendly, and she was patient with those in our party who didn't speak English. My only complaint is that the restaurant was a bit cold, but I think they turned the heat up halfway through our meal.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Well rounded menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was very impressed by the extensive selections of German dishes. We had the sauerbraten which was excellent. The red cabbage side was the best I've ever eaten. The German potato salad was not very distinguished. I would certainly go again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville, North Carolina
“Quaint, Casual, Nice staff and Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Have lived in Asheville my entire life and have not gotten to try the German food at Black Forest. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality. It was quite good. Very heavy, but that's what you're asking for with German food.

Appetizer - escargot. Very good hollandaise sauce and the rye bread/spread is fantastic.
Jaeger Schnitzel and the German sampler were great to share. We had to take it home in a doggie bag. Very large portions.
Great drinks, wine, beer.
Waitress was attentive and informative.
All in all, a great experience.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Excellent New Years Eve Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We decided to go out for dinner on New Years Eve. We made a reservation and were seated within 5 minutes. The atmosphere was festive and the Christmas music played as a nice backdrop to end 2013. The menu was extensive and we had trouble choosing an entree. The veal oskar was delicious and my husband had a platter with lamb chops, pork chop and duck. The sides were good as usual. The server was personable and attentive. I would totally recommend this restaurant!

• Visited December 2013