“Very interesting restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Arden
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Tucker, Georgia
“Very interesting restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a very good meal at the restaurant.The food was good, the setting in the mountains was gorgeous and the atmosphere was very friendly. I would reccomend it to anyone.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Food good but service not consistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been to Black Forest about six times in the past 10 years. Although the food (brats, schnitzel, spaetzle, etc.) are usually pretty good on at least two occasions the service was poor. In one instance the beer special written on the chalk board “was from yesterday and could not be honored.” And on another occasion their strudel and ice cream dessert item supposedly “didn't come with ice cream unless asked for and at an additional charge.” In both of these instances (same waiter) wouldn't budge and argued with us at the table. I swore I wouldn't go back but ended up going there for a couple Oktoberfest beers after work recently and was pleasantly surprised. Good selection of German Oktoberfest beer and very friendly waitress. I’ll go back but I’ll make sure I don’t get ”Mr. Grumpy-pants.”

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Almost like Germany ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

When we walked into the dining room there was a feeling of Germany with an American touch - we are in North Carolina.

Our food was excellent and very flavorful. The server very helpful and friendly.

I would come back any time!

Visited October 2013
Bellefontaine, Ohio
“Thought it was already good, but getting even better!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Since the Black Forest is just a short distance from my elderly mother's home, and she grew up in a German household, this has been a favorite stop just about every time I have come to visit her over the last 10 yrs. We stopped in for lunch on Sept 27th, and had a great meal. The Weiner Schnitzel had just the right amount of crispiness and sat on a puddle of yummy sauce. The red cabbage had a slightly creamy consistency with a non overpowering amount of vinegar. The German Potato salad also had a nice touch of vinegar without hiding the other ingredients. I ended the meal with apple strudel (WOW). Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Burnsville, North Carolina
“Phenominal Food, great atmosphere, very knowledgeable server”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife & I have lived in the area for 7 years, passed Black Forest by numerous times always saying " we need to try it " but never made it. Was concerned about cost. Whelp, a few days ago marked our 20th Anniversary so I decided to make reservations and give it a try. The reservation taker, a young girl who I didn't get her name, was among the friendliest I have ever spoken to on the phone. Upon arriving on a Tuesday evening it was VERY quiet, pin-drop quiet with only a few patrons in the dining area and a few in the lounge area which was totally isolated from the dining area. Ended up not needing reservations but was nice to ensure we got a seat. Even once there the dining room started to fill up with 25% and it was still very quiet, an unusual but pleasant change from our normal outings. We couldn't have been more pleased. Was a fine dining experience with middle of the road prices, plentiful food quantity and VERY quality taste. We had a great waiter, George, who not only new his stuff but recommended first timers (us) with a satisfying choice. He also provided enjoyable conversation too.The pace was quite laid back and slow. No rushing to make a decision or to eat. Ended up choosing the Veal sampler, quite the extensive plate with 5 different items. Tried Escargot for the first time ever as an appetizer, had two different kinds of bread with a unique spread. Wife had a glass of wine which was awesome but sadly the last on hand so there were no seconds. But the waiter did write down the wine name so we not only know for next time but so we can pick some up ourselves. Dessert was phenomenal as well.

Only negative I would give, as we do prefer booths, was the padding on the booth was VERY thin and felt my legs going to sleep half way into the meal. Kept having to shift side to side. Not the end of the world but just a note. They provide authentic, home made, FRESH food - their sausages (and all the fancy names that essentially mean that) are all made fresh and never frozen. This was a substantial difference that you can taste. Desserts and everything is made in-house and quite reasonably priced too. I would post some pictures if I was able to. I saw one reviewer bash the krout/cabbage while perhaps they got a bad batch neither my wife nor I had anything that tasted less than excellent. Part of our enjoyment is to try different things and experience various culinary tastes. Black Forest does not disappoint and we will have to go back to try many more things. After visiting here, having a great experience (especially on such an important occasion) we are sure to be back.

• Visited July 2013