“Great German Food In NC” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Arden
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Bar scene, Doing business, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Douglasville, Georgia
“Great German Food In NC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Actually stumbled on this place. We both love German food and this place was up to any expectations we have for German. I ordered Wiener schnitzel and it was crisp and good. The Spatzle had a brown gravy on it which was good & different. I've only ever had it with butter. The sauerkraut was way better than authentic German kraut! Not greasy at all and the piece de resistance was the homemade apple strudel with cinnamon ice cream. A winner all round!!

• Visited April 2013

DOUGLASVILLE
“A little bit of Germany in Arden, NC (Asheville)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

What a lucky stop. Was really good food and Shelby is top notch server. Wife loved it and she is very critical. Will come back. Loved it

• Visited April 2013
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant was wonderful. They had excellent German food and beer, that was reasonably priced. The service was excellent. There was a wait for a table, so we waited in the lounge and actually ate there instead while watching the basketball game.

Visited April 2013
Mills River, North Carolina
“Totally Sucked”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

hHad really looked forward to dining at this "German" restaurant for quite a while....had heard good reports. Suppose to have the best Rueben in the Blue Ridge Mountains/Asheville, North Carolina area.
I think a Rueben should come on old fashioned rye bread..preferably seeded and Jewish if available....NOT marble rye which reminds of regular loaf bread. Not too much meat...don't know if said meat was corned beef, pastrami or what. Sauerkraut is basically rotted cabbage and cheap (and good)..couldn't hardly see or taste any. If 1,000 Island dressing was applied, I received less than 200 islands. In other words........the sandwich sucked.
My dining companion ordered a New York Strip which was NOT a new York Strip...perhaps from Jersey or a Ribeye. It was not cooked to his request. He opined that his meal as well SUCKED>
I expressed my concerns to the inattentive and flamboyant waiter early on and it just seemed to make him angry. And things went down hill from there.
I finally just asked for the check and he remarked, in smart-assed fashion, "Well Okey-Dokey then...I'm too busy for you anyway. (This was an early evening visit around 6:30 and only three other patrons were in the dining area.)
I paid at the register where I expressed my dissatisfaction to the manager on duty....who could have cared less and who didn't ask what was the problem. (No one else was in line at the time.)
I even called the restaurant upon returning to my home and received a defensive posture from the answering person so I just simply hung up the phone....never again to venture into the Forest which indeed turned black.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lake Toxaway, North Carolina
“Our favorite in this area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is the best! Our special night go-to! We're planning a trip to Germany this summer, and went to get some beer tips. Our waiter spent a lot of time with us describing the German beers and making suggestions. German entrees are authentic and ginormous! Italian dishes are exquisite. Can't say enough about the restaurant.

• Visited February 2013