“Best Chop House in Apex!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Apex, North Carolina, USA
“Best Chop House in Apex!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Unfortunately, Apex is sometimes considered a gastronomic wasteland; the number of reviews on this site for Fast Food joints confirms this. Peak City is a nice respite from the pull-you-in and push-you-out kind of places. We've been dining here since they opened in 2005 and have always had a pleasant experience. The setting is a century-old building delightfully renovated to keep all the early 1900's charm. Main seating is downstairs with an upper level available for additional dining and space for private parties. I've been here for both small intimate dinners for two and large 30+ gatherings. The staff, bar, and kitchen provide delightful, attentive service without being overbearing. My most recent dinner I was accompanied by two guests. They ordered steak with me ordering lamb. All meats were cooked to the correct temperature (we all requested medium rare). This is great place for business or pleasure. Not stuffy - you can feel comfortable coming in dressy casual attire.

• Visited January 2013

North Carolina
“We like Peak City Grill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We've been dining at Peak City ever since they first opened. Over the years, we've had mixed experiences, but mostly good. Once, my New York strip steak arrived with sugar coating on the outside. When I asked the waiter about it, he checked with the cook, who said he had thrown sugar on the steak to make the flames kiss the steak and darken the outside (I had asked for Pittsburgh style -- dark on the outside, medium rare on the inside). I complained about this, but the waiter seemed to feel caught in the middle. Coincidentally, the next time we went, we sat at the bar, as we frequently do, and happened to sit next to the owner, who asked us our impressions of the place, so I told him about the sugar steak. He said that was not possible since his son was (at the time, anyway) the cook and would not do that. He got up and walked over to his son, and came back to say, "Yes, he said he did, indeed, do that!" The owner was as startled as we were. I'm not sure if they are still sugaring their Pittsburgh-style steaks, but to keep from risking it, we don't order them that way anymore, just medium rare. The past several steaks we have ordered have been just fine.

Another thing that used to bother us was inequity of seating by the hostess. We went a couple of times on a light night so we did not feel guilty about asking for a large booth, especially since we saw other couples sitting at large booths. But when we asked to also sit at a large booth, we were told we could not because they needed to save them for more than two people. When we pointed out that other couples were sitting at large booths, and that they had not even been served their meals yet so they could not have been there that long, the hostess just shrugged off the comment. So we took our tiny table. We were miffed again, however, when a few minutes later a couple came in and the same hostess seated them at a large table! I was pretty steamed about this and wrote to the restaurant the next day about my disappointment but never heard back.

So now we just skip the drama and sit at the bar for our meal or just a couple of appetizers and always have a good time -- no waiting, no feeling miffed.

I've seen other reviewers say their bartender was rude, but we've been here many, many times and always have a very attentive bartender whom we tip heavily afterwards because of it. (My only complaint is there needs to be a "purse hook" for handbags under the bar top. It needs to be located near the back wall under the bar top, not near the edge where the hook can scrape a knee or the purse can get knocked off.)

My husband loves the mussels; I like the hamburgers and steaks; and we both like the "bleu" chips appetizer and ice "bleu" wedge salad as well as one of the grilled fish of the day entrees. We order martinis or beer or wine; there is a wide array of choices. For the past two years we have had no snags, and we always have a festive time with good food and service.

This is one of our favorite places, and we even go for our anniversary or a birthday. The menu has something for everyone, whether your party wants just a burger or a full meal.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Apex, North Carolina
“Tasty food - small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The food was really tasty, but the portions were a little small for the price. Did not like that there was a big gap on the menu between the regular dinner menu and the kid's menu. My child is too old for the kiddie menu, but can usually find something on most adult menus... not the case here. Because the food was good and we liked the atmosphere, we will try again another time to see if they have more options on the menu to accommodate "tweeners" (because not everyone under 16 wants chicken fingers and french fries all the time).

Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
“Great food and wine in Apex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was visiting Apex and asked the person at the hotel where I should eat dinner. One of the places they recommended was Peak City Grill. It was packed with local people on a Thursday night so I went to the bar. Had a wonderful boneless ribs and grits. Hope to get back to try something else.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“An Apex Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you are looking for a great selection and atmosphere to match, you should definitely try Peak City Grill in Apex, NC. I've lived in Apex for 9 years and can attest that although the town is growing by leaps and bounds, the choices of restaurants here is nothing to write home about. We have our standard chains like Chili's, IHOP, and typical drive thru's, but with really fine dining, we are lacking. The one exception is Peak City Grill. They have a good selection of every type of food, including some organics. Their appetizers are among my favorites and also a great wine selection. Their staff is always courteous and accommodating. Also, good food and service aside, the ambiance at Peak City is amazing! You won't believe how nice this place is when you walk in... A true gem in downtown Apex! The bar has a long wall of old brick with the rest of the walls faux painted in warm colors, reminiscent of an Italian villa. The decor is a combination of earthy and elegant, with granite everywhere and that sparkle from the different types of lighting, including candles on each table. They also have outdoor seating when the weather is nice, complete with little white lights. And if all that isn't enough, Peak City also has music! Either a pianist or a one man band will be playing in the front corner on the weekends for that extra edge. If you think Raleigh is the "place to go" for a great dining experience, think again. Apex is on the up and coming and Peak City Grill is proof of that!

• Visited December 2012