“Lovely hotel and pools” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Xanadu Island Hotel

You added Xanadu Island Hotel to your Saves list
Xanadu Island Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Akcabuk, Akyarlar koyu Ada caddesi No.10/1, Turgutreis 48960, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Turgutreis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Lovely hotel and pools”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this holiday destination with my girlfriend in July 2012, we booked it via Thomas Cook. We had a private transfer from the airport that we really appreciated. The hotel was lovely, great room and an upgrade on arrival with a glass of prosecco. There is not a real need to leave the complex if you are only there for a week but we did go to experience the local market, I would advise this although there is a lot of tat there.
The food was of good quality, it did get a bit monotonous. We did go to the a la carte one night that was well worth it.
The bar was well stocked and although they said it had all the labels, it didn't quite have what was expected.
The room was beautiful, the room was vast with a huge bedroom, living area and a bathroom that had a huge shower.
I enjoyed it all except the amount of children that were there. Every night sitting through dinner you could hear barbie girl being played virtually on repeat, the reason I chose this hotel was because a majority of reviews said that there was nothing for children to do so I thought that it was likely it would almost be adult free. All in all a good holiday that we both enjoyed, would not go back until I have some children of my own though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

my wife and I stayed at this hotel in October 2012. it was a last minute holiday that we booked through Thomas Cook. we arrived at 3 am in the morning and we were still dealt with promptly and efficiently I don't know why it happened maybe it was because it was towards the end of the season but we got an upgrade on our room from a standard courtyard room to a suite. the room was really good with a huge bed and a well appointed bathroom and living area. the rooms were very clean and there was unlimited free use of the mini bar.
we had a good opportunity to check out the hotel the next day and my wife and were very pleased with it. it is in such a great spot right out on a headland that gives great views over the bay and out to sea. the resort has really good facilities. a disco,ten pin bowling a games room and a small playroom for children
the pools are really good too with the main pool being a large infinity one. there are plenty of sun loungers and the places to lounge are various. for the more adventurous there are small decked areas down by the cliffs which have loungers there as well as large fridges where you can help yourself to beer,water or soft drinks. there is also a large area of man made beach overlooking the bay with a hundred plus loungers if you prefer to top up your tan away from the pool.
the food here was very good there are lots of choices at all times of the day and I particularly enjoyed the charcoal BBQ area at evening meal times. please be aware that there is a dress code in the main restaurant , shorts polo shirts are allowed in the morning and afternoon but it is expected that long trousers and a shirt are worn for evening dinner.
if you get the chance book the Italian restaurant for a special meal the food was very good and it is a nice intimate setting. there is a seafood restaurant on site as well which does cost extra
the roof terrace bar is also another fab location and is a great place to have your evening drinks while watching the sun go down
I have marked the hotel down on service for one reason only. at the time that my wife and I went it was at the end of the season the hotel was winding down and it appeared that they had already let some of the staff go. this did cause some inefficiencies. on one occasion our mini bar was not restocked and the coffee cups had not been cleared from the our room. this is only a very minor point and I had to mark the hotel down on that or else it would have scored top marks across the board !!!
I have also made an amendment to the score on rooms as I can't find anywhere else to place it. the suite that we had was fantastic my only gripe is that there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms.Wi-Fi is available in the communal areas,which you have to purchase a security card for but it is not available in your room. I the age of wireless devices and smart phones it shouldn't be difficult to add a Wi-Fi extender to a guests room if they have purchased Wi-Fi for the duration of their stay. I wanted to FaceTime with my children while I was away,and i had to do it in the bar area where I could get a signal. this wasn't very convenient or private!
on the whole though a fabulous hotel, very clean, great staff , good food and drink and a hotel that I would recommend for a relaxing break

Room Tip: if you feel a bit cheeky ask if there any free upgrades to a sunset suite these are very good rooms
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Have stayed here before and it was just as good the second time. We were upgraded on arrival to a two bed appartment with 2 on-suites and living area plus a great sea view. Accomodation was of a hight standard and the room was spic and span. Hotel food at the buffet was plentiful and of a good standard and we did not try the a-la-carte restaurants this time.The staff were very helpful and as the stay was late in the season the hotel was fairly quiet. I would not recoomend this hotel for small children as its location on its own island means that some care would be needed for them. I am not sure what the hotel would be like full but for a late or early holiday it is suberb.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited as a couple on the 5th of October for a week. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and exceptionally well maintained. We had a standard courtyard suite but there was nothing standard about it, it was lovely and the bathroom in particular was fantastic. The mini bar was stocked every day and the room cleaned to a high standard. Our balcony was quite small and although you could see the sea, I wouldn’t call it a 'sea view'. The restaurant was very nice and the food was very good, so much choice and good quality, very much liked the outside grill area, always something interesting and tasty. We ate in the Italian a la carte one evening and that was also good. The Rosebud bar is pleasant with great service and pretty much any drink you could want, all top names, they also have snacks available throughout the day and night. There were four evenings with organised musical entertainment whist we were there and we enjoyed all of them, very professional acts.

The hotel grounds were beautifully kept and very attractive, walking around the grounds was a treat in itself with 360 degree views. We did not try the bathing decks but they looked nice and we noted that both had well stocked drink fridges as did the beach. We went to the beach nearly every day, it is very relaxing and the water is beautiful. The beach itself is not sand but small marble/granite chippings. I liked this because it didn’t stick to you when you were wet and I found it clean and comfortable to walk on. The two pools are top notch, both of the infinity type. We used the pool by the Archipelago bar which has a children’s area, because it was quieter, and suited us. The sun beds are plentiful and of better quality than you usually find with an adjustable shade which is handy. Good quality food and snacks are served all day at both the pool bars as are top quality drinks including cocktails. Everywhere throughout the resort the service was exceptional, friendly, attentive and efficient, could not fault it.

There is no doubt this a five star resort and I am struggling to find any negatives but if I were to be ultra picky I would say that the Spa was very expensive and the guest relations girl was difficult to get hold of, also because we were late in the season not everything was on such as the moonlight boat trip and the ice party, but that’s about it. I can recommend this hotel and will go back one day, maybe slightly earlier in the season.

Addlestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The best resort in turkey! This place was awesome,its exceptionally clean, well kept and the staff are so friendly and happy to help. Our room was like something out of a movie, massive, comfy with a shower to die for. My only grumble was the air con. When everyone has theirs on its very hard to sleep in the heat. The infinity pool areas were clean, spacious and relaxed. The food was beautiful and such a choice every night and day. The beach is kinda man made but again, very clean well kept, beautiful clear blue waters teeming with fish and a beer fridge on the beach too!! You can go for a walk around the hotel grounds and the views are just exceptional especially at sunset. The entertainment was a bit hit and miss but i didnt mind the quiet to be honest. The rosebud bar was open 24/7 and the guys there were great. Especially gabriel and the spikey haired cheeky guy lol. Every drink you could want, you could get.

If you fancy a trip out then the market in turgutreis on a saturday morning by dolmus is so much fun. Bartering with the market guys is great, even for me as i hate all that but they arent that pushy and encourage it. Opposite that is the marina which is beautiful especially if you want a drink and a bite to eat sitting there looking at all the lovely big boats.

All in all, this resort is a definate 5* and i would totally reccommend it to anyone wanting a holiday with a bit of class, bit of excitement and a bit of relaxation.

I WILL BE BACK!!!!

Room Tip: Even the cheapest rooms are just superb
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rize, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

If you wanna go to heaven then go to xanadu island in bodrum...you feel that you are in the heaven...incredible see and nature..all rooms are suits...The weather has no humudity...certainly i recomended...

• Stayed October 2012
Mancunium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

From the initial transfer (very well handled by the hotel’s own driver) through the speedy check in (during which we were served chilled bubbly) to the “Happy Birthday” balloons, cake, roses and bubbly waiting in our room (it was a birthday treat Mrs Mancunium after all) we couldn’t have asked for a better arrival and impression.

Room layout, with plenty of seating and lounging area, lots of wardrobe space with more hangers than I’ve seen in a hotel before, is exceptional. A huge bathroom with massive tub, walk-in shower and separate toilet cubicle were let down very slightly by the low lighting level that made make-up and hair drying a little more challenging than normal for her ladyship.

We had a “Sunset Suite” which really did give us fantastic views of the sun setting over Kos, and were never aware of any noise from other suites or guests.

Day to day housekeeping is first class, with cleanliness and organisation top flight (even leaving a note on the door when they had come to service the room when we had the “do not disturb” light on asking us to let housekeeping know when it would be convenient to do the room).

Grounds maintenance is spot on with plants and beach grooming constantly up to date without being intrusive in any way.

Being almost an island gives the location a somewhat unique setting, boasting plenty of beach and pool options for quiet lounging or walking laps around the perimeter (nicely marked with distances for those who care). If you like a little wildlife – this is a great location with lizards, butterflies, lots of other flying critters (none seeming too bothered about puncturing my skin) along with birds, bats and massive shoals of colourful fish there are plenty of “Kodak moments”.

The gym is particularly well equipped with both cardio and weight equipment and we managed to maintain our regular training routines without much interruption.

The Amphitheatre appears to have been de-commissioned so nothing happened there during our stay.

So that’s a description of the basic facilities, which can’t be faulted – other areas left us just a little underwhelmed. Food is pretty bland, with the best being breakfast where between cereals, fruit and some hot options (including oatmeal/porridge and an omelette/egg station) we always got a good start to the day. Every evening saw an array of barbequed offerings or the buffet where we felt there was too much focus on sauce/stew type dishes.

Having looked at the menu in the Italian “a la carte” we decided not to bother (which seemed to have been the choice of the majority of guests) and looking at the price of extra “options” at the seafood restaurant, which was equally under populated, we swerved that as well.

Perhaps the entertainment team were under instructions not to bother the guests, as they were successful in achieving that part of the brief. Between the 30 minute “Golden Oldies Top Ten” disco on the Sunday, bowling tournament, darts match and bingo entertainment was far from gripping and by the time we had reached the part of the week where we had the option of watching a live group from damp poolside chairs (condensation sets in well before the 10pm start time) we had taken to strolling around the perimeter as our evening wind down.

In summary the hotel has lots going for it and is well worthy of a look. Would we go back? – On balance for all its fantastic good points – I do place my food high on my list of “must be impressed by’s” and do like a little entertainment in the evening even if it is a bit cheesy, so probably not.

Room Tip: Sunset suites are the only rooms that we experienced, but appear to offer the best by way of views a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Xanadu Island Hotel? Share your experiences!