“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 41 hotels in Bitez
Co Clare Ireland
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Ambrosia Hotel. This was our first time in Bitez and our first visit to the Ambrosia Hotel.

When we arrived at the Hotel at 04:45 on a Monday morning. We were checked in straight away and a very nice young man helped us bring our bags to our room.

The Hotel was nice. The rooms were ok. There were a few faults in the first room we were given so we asked could we change.They let us change after 12 o'clock the next day after we arrived. I wouldn't recommend the twin rooms as they are quite small and the beds in there are tiny. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis.

The staff were very nice. I do agree with the review below (MariaAlison's review) the staff were pushy. There was one man who pestered us daily about the Turkish Baths they do and the Spa that is in the Hotel. We found it very annoying.

The lunch and breakfast is very nice. We had Pancakes, stuffed tomatoes and very nice potatoes on our last morning at the Hotel. :-) We stayed in the Hotel for Dinner twice during our weeks stay. It was OK. The food on the buffet wasn't great but there was an A La Carte Menu there too. We went for the A La Carte Menu. There was some food I couldn't eat. It wasn't very nice.

We had dinner in Bitez for the rest of the time. We found some lovely restaurants. The Hotel is in a very good location as it is right along the strip were all the shops and restaurants are. The Dolmus stops outside the Hotel so you have the option of going to Bodrum or Gumbet.

The Hotel is right on the beach as well. There is staff on the beach come around on the beach and offer you food and/or drink. This was great. If you fancy a change of scenery there is a couple of other beaches in Bitez as well.

We booked a day trip Kos with the Tour Operator we travelled with (WingsAbroad). It was fantastic. Kos was beautiful and I would highly recommend it. Our WingsAbroad rep Janet was very nice. There is a few places in Bitez were you can book this trip. You can also do a day trip to Rhodes.

I would return to Bitez and the Ambrosia Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel was great very clean ,we were more than pleased with our room with a great view out to sea from our balcony. we stayed for 10nights on rush to get up to get a sunbed at pool side as the beach is on the door step with free sunbeds. There is waiter service on the beach so you don't have to move if you don't want to. The staff were very friendly nothing was to much trouble.
The food was typically Turkish but varied a great selection of deserts though. Would definitely return to this hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayo, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here with a group in June. We arrived late and the staff were very helpful, though it would have been helpful to have someone else on reception to help speed up check-in. The bell boy was very helpful and brought a sandwich to the room (though I wasn't expecting this and got a fright with the banging on the door - perhaps hand them out at check-in instead?)

The room was fine. Basic enough but fine and the beds were comfortable. Our air conditioning went off one night, but once we rang in the morning, it was promptly fixed. We didn't have problems with the cleaning, but others in our group in a different part of the hotel did. I would have preferred to have the bin in the bathroom emptied every day though.

We had to wear bracelets for our stay to indicate what meal plan we were on - I found this unnecessary and annoying. The breakfast buffet was good, particularly the omelettes and pancakes cooked to order, but the coffee was mediocre, instant mix. The selection of hot food for the dinner buffet was limited and we didn't eat it any night. I didn't have any problems with the alcohol being watered down but I stuck to beer.

I found the staff a bit pushy - they put a lot of pressure on to stay in the hotel all the time and did not like to see business going someplace else in Bitez. We ended up leaving the hotel via the front on many occasions, just to try and get some peace from the pestering. I really do not want to justify why I want to leave the hotel every time, so it would be best to tone it down. There also was a bit of harassing from staff - one guy at breakfast was particularly annoying proposing marriage constantly to my friend. It put her off coming down for breakfast at all. Waiter service could be a bit patchy at times too.

To be fair to staff, most are very friendly and helpful and they all work extremely long hours. But, I go on holidays for a break, I don't want to be pestered, I just want some peace.

The location on the beach is very good and the breeze from the beach was a welcome relief from the heat. Oh and if you have a early morning tour booked, let reception know the day before and they will have a packed breakfast for you.

Would I go back? No - I have done everything that I wanted in Bitez. But Ambrosia is a decent enough choice to stay in.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach can be noisy - I know because I was one of the ones making noise at night in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ambrosia Hotel in Bitez in mid June 2013 and generally had a great time. We arrived at 4am and were shown to our room and given a sandwich and a drink as we had missed dinner which was a lovely touch. The night manager was lovely and welcoming and the lad who took our bags to our room was very pleasant but like a lot of the staff at the hotel spoke very little English.

The pool at the hotel is fairly small and there are only 29 sun beds round the pool. The hotel have signs up that say if you leave your towels unattended for more than hour they will be removed from the sun beds. A great rule in theory but this is something that definitely wasn’t practised on a regular basis as there were lots of people who would leave towels on sun beds all day and not return to use them. As we left the hotel the pool started to look unclean and it was only then that we realised we had never seen anyone cleaning the pool.

The food at the hotel was pleasant there was always something you could find to eat and the variety was good. The breakfast was fantastic with fresh fruit and lovely fresh pancakes and omelettes. The only drawback I found was during the evening meal the waiter service was extremely slow and more often than not we would have finished our meals without receiving our drinks. I think that this might have been due to the fact that we didn’t order alcoholic drinks with our meals and considering we had heard the drinks were watered down we made a decision not to drink alcohol in the hotel. There were two nights we weren’t offered drinks at all considering there are an abundance of waiting on staff and they only had to serve drinks this was unacceptable.

The entertainment at the hotel was alright but occasionally reminded me of something you would see at Butlins. The biggest attraction seemed to be the Irish band that performed twice a week on a Monday and Friday. The band played the exact same set on both nights which got very boring very quickly.

The Happy hour that took place every day between 4-5 was good value as you could get buy one get one free on all local drinks. The music during this time would however blast out and one of the staff would shout over the microphone for the entire hour. Please Please Please Ambrosia get a new CD for happy hour there was one day we heard the same song 5 times and stop the ‘DJ’ turning the volume up and down it sounds awful!

Other than these few small issues which I am sure the hotel will address the holiday was great. Our room was cleaned daily to a high standard and we had a garden view room which was nice as it was quiet. The owner of the hotel also owns 3 bars in Gumbet and the hotel offered free shuttle bus services to Gumbet at night and residents got VIP treatment in the bars. The beach in the hotel is clean and the waiter service is great. We had a Turkish bath in the hotel which I would recommend just make sure you don’t go into direct sunlight directly after it. The gym in the hotel is well equipped but we would have preferred if it had opened a bit earlier. Bitez is a lovely resort and I would definitely recommend it to couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The World
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had one night here-- not an easy place to find, but good value. Great for long walks in the morning. Food was good, but not as much variety of some buffets we had. Nice location at the beach, once we found the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I am just back from a two week holiday in fabulous Bitez, myself & my family stayed in the Ambrosia hotel...what a fantastic experience. Myself, my husband & 18 month son stayed & also my Mom & Dad.....we found the staff amazing so helpful, kind & willing to do anything to make our holiday the best it could be. They loved our son & nicknamed him 'Prince William'...all the staff were so loveable, patient & kind to him always watching out for him & his safety. I would like to thank a special group of people...the night manager Abdullah is the nicest & most genuine gentleman you'll ever meet. Our constant entertainer 'Bob'....always upbeat & so full of energy thanks so much for the kiddies disco Will loved the dance moves. Also Amad, Uinnis (best wishes for your upcoming wedding ) & sweet Mehmet you all really made our holiday a special & memorable experience. We will be returning for definite. The best place to have a holiday...great staff, gorgeous hotel, loads of entertainment every night, good food, fantastic location right on the beach, very clean (cleaning staff around all day everyday).....you just can't complain any of it.

Room Tip: We were put in room 114 & my parents in 110...great area with a child as no major steps, overloo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lambourn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel and amazed at the improvements on last year. Old and tired sun bed mattresses replaced, replacement of the broken decking, a huge improvement on the standard of housekeeping in the public areas and most importantly the food has greatly improved. It was varied, tasty and as we stayed for 14 nights it was not repetitive. The team are amazing from the receptionists to the housekeepers and all the guys who work so hard on the beach and in the restaurants.One negative is that the drink service at the evening meal is sometimes a bit chaotic and on a few occasions we had nearly finished our meal before our drinks order had been taken.
Joy the general manager walks the hotel & grounds everyday ensuring that the hotel is running effectively and will stop and chat to make sure that you are enjoying your holiday.
We love it and just booked to go back next year!! Well done Ambrosia keep up the great work.

Room Tip: If you require a quiet room book over looking the gardens as most saturdays there is a Turkish event...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambrosia Hotel? Share your experiences!