“Art Bodrum Hotel Excellent Value for Money” 4 of 5 stars

Art Bodrum Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adnan Menderes Bulv. No:1, Bitez 48400, Turkey   |
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Bitez
England
“Art Bodrum Hotel Excellent Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

My wife and I visited this hotel in June 2009, and were pleasantly surprised; we had a terrible feeling after reading the reviews printed on internet, that we were going to a rundown horrid hotel. We were prepared to cancel our holiday until we found out that all our monies would be lost if cancelled.
My wife and I decided that if we arrived at Art Bodrum Hotel, and found it to be unsuitable to stay in, as internet reviews and photos showed , we would take further steps to be put into a Hotel that was fitting the Turkish Hotels we were used to being in.
We arrived at 4.00am and were met with a pleasant polite young man on reception, and first impressions were this was what we expect from a Hotel in Turkey, we then were taken to our room situated in the main building which once again we liked very much, nice room, clean with a good view, and as requested high up location.
Once we settled into the room and had some sleep, it did not matter that we had slept through breakfast. After showering we decided to make ourselves familiar with the hotel and have a look around, finding the restaurant, the 3 pools and liked what we were seeing. We loved our view from the balcony, and thought what has all the worry been about.
Our 1st meal was lunch and we both thought it was good, which again was worry for nothing.
We would like to mention several staff who were outstanding, Berten the front hall manager, he was very attentive and helpful, also Hamzq the restaurant Manager and his staff, Murat, Zeki and Emrah all polite and attentive, making sure the tables were cleared and drinks were served when required.
My only complaint was that the hotel did not provide a wee whisky for those of us who like one, although they did serve Gin, Vodka, Wine, and Lager.
When you are paying for all inclusive you never stop to think that Whisky is not included, it must be paid as an extra, the money is not an issue, it’s just the principle as the cost for the hotel to supply it, would not be hundreds Lira extra and it would keep a lot of guests happy.
Once again I would like to compliment management and all the staff for the service given. We, like many others read the reviews posted on internet and find them informative and useful and find it such a pity your hotel has been given such bad reports as we found quite the contrary and would visit again.
Keep up the good work.
Kind Regards
Frank & Helen Bruce (Co Durham, England)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Travelled with husband and 15 year old daughter. Our room was outwith the main building in one of the suites - it was great as it meant we had two bedrooms and could spread out. The room was on the basic side but fully met our needs, the air con worked a treat, we had a large terrace with patio furniture, the borders around our terrace were tended with some plants in bloom and we had a fine view overlooking Bitez bay. Room was cleaned and serviced daily. Contrary to another review, there was no indication of a poo smell where we were. I would say at this point that the Art Bodrum is not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties. There are stairs everywhere. The bonus is that my legs look a bit more toned than when I arrived.

We liked the food. The hot food choice changed daily and at lunch and dinner there was a fantastic selection of cold dishes and salads. I'm hooked on aubergine now. Two days running there was a bowl of this hot (as in nippy) red paste stuff at the salad section. I have no idea what it was but it tasted great so if anyone can put a name to it I'd be grateful. The melon, mint and feta salad was a triumph too. Oh and the sesame seed coated turkey was lovely as well. Most days the bbq was on the go at dinner although because of its popularity you might have to wait in a queue for 10 mins or so but not a problem really. Don't expect a full English at breakfast time. Some of the hot offerings were a bit strange at breakfast, at least from a British point of view - there was a mince type dish one day. Some days the chef did made-to-order crepes and on other days you could get a freshly made omelette. You could get different cheeses, cold meats, pastries, etc. We all thought the bread was excellent, really fresh.

The all inclusive drinks package is limited. That said we paid a rock bottom price for our holiday so we can't complain. I agree with another reviewer about the attitude of some of the Russian guests. From what I witnessed, they thought nothing of trying to skip the queue at the bar. To be fair the bar staff did send them to the back on most occasions. I also witnessed Russian guests pressurising the bar staff into pouring huge measures. I thought it was all a bit greedy really.

The staff were nice enough. Hard worked I think judging by the hours they put in. It must be hard with the attitude of some guests (as mentioned above), to keep a smile on your face all the time.

There are three pools on three different levels. We used the top pool most often. We never had a problem getting loungers and umbrellas.

Bitez is a lovely wee place being about 2km from Gumbet and roughly 5km from Bodrum. We made excellent use of the dolmus (wee buses) that run 24 hours per day between the resorts and other locations on the peninsula. It's 2 lira (about 80p I think)per journey regardless of how many stops you travel. The hotel operates a free bus to the beach at Bitez. You get dropped at the Hotel Manuela where you get access to their patch of the beach. Loungers at the beach are free and you get waiter service to the water side - which is very indulgent I know but a real treat.

Anyone thinking of going to the area should note that it can be a problem cashing travellers cheques outside of banks. The hotel wouldn't deal with travellers cheques nor would the exchanges we tried in Gumbet. We had to go into Bodrum. Another point is that the prices at Bodrum airport are extortionate - I mean beyond anything I've come across before. I realise you pay a premium at the airport for food and drink but this was something else. 5.5 Euros (yes Euros) for a can of Fanta. We spoke to a couple who paid the equivalent of £25 for two burgers, chips and soft drinks. We ended up just buying water - at £2.50 for a small bottle not exactly the bargain of the century. The result of all this was that hardly anyone was eating or drinking. One of the cafes in Gumbet did carry out sandwiches for the airport - now I understand why.

I've got a soft spot for Turkey and the Turkish people now. You do get a bit of hassle to go into shops and restaurants but it's the culture- we just went with the flow. A polite 'no thank you' did the trick every time. Everyone was really friendly and keen to talk to you.

We bought a fez. I defy anyone to put on a fez and not say "just like that". Sorry I'm rambling on now...

This is not a luxury hotel. It's realistically a 2- 3*. On the other hand for value for money it's difficult to beat. We are seriously considering gong back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Unless you like being treated like dirt then I wouldn't bother!

My partner and I are not ones to moan and I have never written a review as I always think they are for moaning gits who can't relax and enjoy themselves but seriously don't bother going to this hotel I have never been treated so badly before anywhere I have been and I travel a lot to all types of places. Even the rep at the airport on the way home said this hotel was trouble!!! Wish I'd been told that before so I AM TELLING YOU NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!

Good points; Yeah its clean enough (apart from sewer smells) and has a nice view over the bay and food is OK for a few days before its quite obvious they can't be bothered anymore which is what you expect for a cheap get away for a week so all fair enough...

Bad points; rooms might be cleaned daily but they have a serious sewerage problem so if you don't mind waking up in a room that smells of poo then great!!

Worst points; The staff are absolutely horrendous, the most miserable people on earth!! They shouted at us when we asked for more than one drink and when they would give you a drink you got the tiniest amount of vodka (that was all you had the choice of or horrible beer, or the even worse red and white wine) oh unless you are a Turk or Russian and then you can have whatever the hell you like. But if you are English then forget it they treat you like dirt and don't make any secret of the fact they hate us!! Absolute joke,

On one occasion they actually came to our table and started taking drinks away!! They shut the bar at 11pm SHARP if you are in the queue at ten to forget it, they will change every barrel they can possibly change and then basically just fart around until 11pm then say sorry closed. But if a Russian comes at 11pm then Oh that’s fine have a bottle have whatever you want. When you ask if you can have anything oh no bars closed again.....And if you ask why it is you are being blatantly prejudiced against then you get told you will get kicked out of the hotel! Nice!

I won't go on but seriously unless you are Russian (and might I add some of the most rudest and ignorant people I have ever met in the world) then don't bother its rubbish. Total rip off as drinks are just not worth it (if they even let you have one) and food isn't great and you just get so fed up with the miserable faces and attitude of all the staff you end up going out and spending money anyway and then to top it all off you have to wake up to the sweet smell of POO! ...MINT!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bristol, West Country, England.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

After booking and paying for this trip i thought i would check out some reviews... Not the usual way to do things, after reading so many negative things about this hotel i nearly cancel the trip. (im so glad i didn't).
The Hotel is set on top of and built in to a hill, so there are lots of steps there is good views to the rear of the hotel sea,beaches and hills.
We had a room in the main hotel which was very large ,air con, fridge, walkin shower, bathroom, sea view, two large beds maid service and fresh towels everyday. (although the apartment style rooms are much smaller)
How anyone could ever moan about the food in this hotel, i dont know!
its great, fresh and plenty of it. Theres a choice of rice, fries, hot meat dishes, cold meats, salads, roasted veg, stuffed veg, dressings, fruit, even a different bbq every night of the week. No main course was repeated during our weeks stay. (recomend the bbq fish)
There are 3 pools on site with 2 with bars, the local sprit drinks are ok vodka,gin,raki (ozo type drink.. mind blowing. turks call it bulls milk) the local beer is not to strong but refreshing.
There are free busses from the hotel to the local beach 10am, 11am, 12pm return at 5pm or 6pm. We walked to the beach a couple of times it only takes 10 mins and is down hill all the way. Its also so easy and cheap to get around on local busses (dolmus)a trip to Bodrum is a must.
The staff are helpfull and friendly, very good with children.
Watch out for the shop (market) prices are in euros on site. Most places take euros and sterling, you seem to get more for your money.
The entertainment team ANIMATION (Turkish Jim Carry) tries his best, friendly guy likes the ladies. Most of the entertainment i remember from the 70s when my parents took me to Pontins (make of that what you will).
Just remember when you go to Turkey its not in the EU and it is a different colture than you may be used to, you can haggle, you will be hassled to go into shops and stalls etc most people do take NO THANK YOU as an answer....
Im a 40 year old guy who took my wife and 6 year old son to Artbodrum Hotel and we would go again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

we were really concerned about this hotel after reading the bad reviews, but this hotel was great. we arrived at the hotel at about 2am and the staff were really helpful , just one word of warning though although you will be given a cob to eat you will not be given a drink and if you want water you have to pay for it because the bar is closed so reception will sell you some water. its only a small point but we found it a bit mean of them. apart from that small moan we didn't have anything else to moan about, the rooms are cleaned daily, the food is good and the hotel is in a great location. the bus service is excellent and cheap.the staff were really polite and friendly and jim the enterainments manager is really funny and such a smoothy. we enjoyed all the entertainment in the evenings and gumbet and bodrum are really close by if you want things a bit more lively. there were people from all over europe staying at this hotel and we met some great fellow holidaymakers. give this hotel a chance we would all go back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
art bodrum
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

all i can say well worth it , hotel was clean any issues reception are more then willing staff really friendly , food good a good choice , jim the hotel entertainere was excellent with all guests , great value for money !!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Art Bodrum Hotel? Share your experiences!