“theft at the tosun” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tosunoglu Apart Otel

and 1 more site!
You added Tosunoglu Apart Otel to your Saves list
Tosunoglu Apart Otel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cevat Sakir Mah. Lale Sok. No:41 Bodrum Merkez, Bodrum City, Turkey   |
Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Bodrum City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Upton, null, United Kingdom
“theft at the tosun”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We returned to the tosun this year as we had such a fab time last year and booked directly with the brothers as we had found them so helpful and friendly. Well we were fooled as on our 2nd day my husband returned to our room to get money to pay for a boat trip to find £420 missing from his wallet and £290 from our daughters envelope of money. We then told our fellow travellers who went to check and also found large amounts of money missing amounting to over £1500 between us. We approached the brothers and were told they could not beleive it as it had never happened in 13 years. They asked would we like to inform the police which we agreed to, 2 police officers came and spoke to all the men in our party in turkish which was translated by the brothers for two hours, then they were told that we would all have to have our fingerprints taken and would have to spend another day at the police station giving statement to take the matter further and in response to the previous review we did not wish to put our 12 yr old daughter or the other youngsters in our party through this ordeal of having fingerprints taken in a strange and probably intimidating enviroment without an impartial translator and then the embarassment of being checked every time we returned to turkey as we would have a record so as a group we decided to not let it spoil our holiday.Later that night we were told by another gentlemen that he had also had money stolen from his safe earlier that week.This made us all regret not making the trip to the police station and furthered our suspision of the brothers or their aquaintances.Then to hear that they had been suggesting that we made up the thefts beggars belief as our group consisted of three teachers,retail managers and company directors not people out to gain from an insurance claim.We all came together an pooled our resources and tried to enjoy the remainder of our holiday,however there was still that niggle of who had stolen from us.I would recommend Gumbet as a holiday destination but sorry not the Tosunoglu,STAY CLEAR! (As they say never trust a Turk).

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bradford, W.Yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I totally agree with all the GREAT reviews about these apartments!!! We have stayed in Gumbet 11 times now and stay at different apartments everytime and we found Tosunoglu very pleasant and would recommend.

If you have been to Gumbet before then these apartments are not dead in the centre but a short walk away at the bottom end of town (just past Uncle Festers, 5 min walk & round corner from Ali Baba hotel). Still only 10 mins walk from all the main nightlife and beach. Also the main Bodrum Bus passes straight in front of the apartments and there is a taxi rank just on the corner.

As is the norm with Turkish apartments they are quite basic but clean and very spacious.
The cleaners came in every day to sweep floors and empty bins and left clean towels/sheets every other day.
I totally disagree with other reviews on here regarding the staff as we found the owners/brothers Mehmet & Ebo very helpful and friendly and Lucky behind the bar is an old Gumbet friend of ours from other hotels and is always cheery and cheeky!

We stayed at the apartments the same weeks as the money was meant to have gone missing from some safety deposit boxes but we had no problems whatsoever and quite frankly found the accusations against the hotel a bit suspect. I know if I had lost £1500 or even £200 I would have had my finger prints taken or whatever was necessary whether it lost me a couple of days holiday or not and as these people were not prepared to do this it made it all seem a bit unbelievable. The owners were very upset about these accusations. Please don't let these reviews cloud your judgement of these apartments.

The poolside was wonderful with lots of padded sunbeds and the staff were really fair by not letting people leave towels on them all day whilst not at the apartments. If you book a groundfloor apartment you are straight onto the poolside (our rooms - 101 & 103 were ideal). The pool itself is very large and was cleaned every night. The baby pool was also great for the little ones. Also take notice of all the plantlife/shrubbery around the apartments as it is a virtual orchard/allotment lol.

The breakfasts around the bar were spot on as was the food on the BBQ/Turkish night and the Curry night.
Also alcohol prices couldn't be beaten around town which was great for a few pre night out drinks or a few night caps!

Admittedly the Air Conditioning is very expensive at £30 per week so we opted instead to hire a large fan £10 per week which was great for the bedroom at night. Obviously its not easy to sleep well at night in Turkey during July (often 40 degs) but I think this should be expected (a few vodkas always help lol).

All in all we had a wonderful stay and didn't want to come home. Whichever apartments we stay at in future we will make sure we visit Tosunoglu and their boys.

Room Tip: Groundfloor rooms suit families with kiddies whereas 2nd floor rooms are probably a bit quieter for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We returned early this morning from two weeks at the Tosunoglu,this was our 12th visit to Gumbet,15th visit to Turkey itself,we love the place!However I would never recommend these apartments.The apartments are basic,which is fine by me,as long as they are kept clean,which they were,however within our first two days there we had money stolen from our safe!At least a couple of hundred of pounds,I do not know the exact amount as the money was in an envelope in just a big wad of cash that we had been spending since arriving at the airport,but I did know the rough amount,I then sorted our money into £100's,I checked again later and 2 of the £100's had had £20 taken from them.I was obviously devastated,approached the manager who was fairly off with me.Asked did I want to phone the police?I said no as did not want the hassle as after checking my insurance we would only be able to claim back £150,I did not want to waste several days of my holiday with the police.His reaction surprised me I have stayed in many hotels in Turkey and am sure if this had occured in any others there would have been uproar.Previous hotels went out of their way to help whenever they could.He told me it was impossible that my money had gone! 'the only keys were in his family house' was his response to me.I got the money back I had paid for my safe (£20) and rented a safe at my in laws hotel instead.I then tried to forget about this and enjoy my holiday.The attitude of the family and staff towards me was frosty to say the least!I felt I was in the wrong yet I was actually the victim!Several days later a large group arrived to stay there,2 days in I spoke to one of the men in this group who told me that all their safes had been robbed too,a total of £1560 between them all.There is clearly a thief at this hotel.Obviously this family were also devastated.They did call the police and then spent an afternooon sat in an office with them,they were also told it would take two days of their holiday for fingerprints etc to resolve this.I feel we were all treated badly,it could have ruined our holiday, that we work hard all year to save for.Thankfully it didn't but that was not down to the staff at the Tosunoglu!Also the air con is rubbish,completely!It does not cool the apartments at all,it costs £60 and we also had to rent a fan for our bedroom,another £10 per week.We still woke up in a pool of sweat each morning.I also cannot understand how these apartments are rated so highly on here!Avoid avoid avoid.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here, do not stay here, there are plenty of better hotels in Gumbet where you w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Rooms are really cheap and basic.
£30 a week for air con in other words for a rubbish fan.
The only time the managers would speak to you would be when they are asking for your money, both of them were w******.
Swimming pool and bar was alright, lucky the barman was funny but it doesn't make up for the rest of the hotel.
I would NEVER stay here again and would advise other people not to as well, i can't understand how people can rate it so highly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Peteroborough
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Turkey is such a lovely place! the town is about a 5/10min walk from the hotel so its very handy if you need a few bits. but be careful of getting ripped off because the turkish men tend to sell you un-needed things for alot of money cos they think you are 'rich' some can get quite pushy too but just walk away if you dont want anything so its not too much of a problem! also you get good deals at the restaurants normally 20% discount and free starter etc.. i recommend going to Jasmin Gardens or Red Dragon for food they are both very friendly and lush food! Also book a daily boat trip with the owner of Jasmin Gardens for 55lira its fantastic and you get free breakfast lunch and dinner included in that price!

The hotel grounds are nice and its pool is lovely very relaxing especially when you want to cool off, its clean and well maintained. bar food is a reasonably priced but poor taste.

the rooms however are very very basic and a bit poor quality. i wasnt expecting too much from the place because you get what you pay for at the end of the day but i didnt feel very pleased when we walked into the room for the first time, the room was half painted asif a child had got a paintbrush and painted it. then we had a ant problem and when we mentioned it to the maid she just brushed them away and that was it, so in the end we bought some ant killer from the shop. the shower is hot and cold as mentioned on previous comments. i was planning on getting a safe to put all our pass ports and important documents in but it wasnt worth it as you could pick the safe up so it defeated the point of acutally having a safe. DONT TOUCH the little white electric cooker in the kitchenette! i got a big shock off it i think its because the electrics are a bit dodgy sparks come off the plugs every now and again when taking the plug out.

We were on the ground floor of the apartment and the back door was very fragile and you could easily push it inward to break in without a key so it wasnt very safe but because we were next to the bar i guess nobody would of tried to break in. also there is a large turkish man who wonders around with a torch every night and shines it at you when you are walking back to your apartment at night even at 5am!

I didn't feel that the staff were as friendly as everyone says, lucky (the barman) was okay but there was just something not right about him. One of the brothers that runs the hotel seemed to be a angry man and quite rude the other not very talkative. the cleaners were RUBBISH! one man moped a section of the floor then the woman wondered about emptied the bin and that was it they were gone!

We came back one evening to find that our door had been left unlocked from a member of staff probably checking the room or the cleaner nothing was missing but i didnt feel very safe after that so we left the key in the door so nobody could unlock it when we were sleeping.. and so the maid didnt just casually wonder in at 9am.

I feel that the hotel is loosing alot of money if they just did the rooms up a little and added a few bits they would make it alot better and I wish the staff were a bit friendlier if they were i think we would of stayed in the hotel alot more than we did and probably stayed at the bar for drinks before we went to bar street or after we had eaten.

If you are looking for just a place to stay it will be fine for you. I wont be recommending it to anyone and cant understand why all these reviews are all good. I wont be visiting Tosunoglu again I recommend visiting Turkey but spend your money elsewhere for a more pleasant hotel.

Room Tip: Get air conditioning!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Not exactly sure why this hotel is rated so high on here, it's an extremely basic facility. Aircon is expensive for what it was, didn't really ever get cold. The maid was almost non existstant, she'd pick up a few things and leave. The pool on the other hand was very good, no fights for sunbeds and it was maintained well. Prices at the bar was very reasonable aswell but the food was hugely disappointing. Very cheap made and probably microwaved. The location was good only a few minutes walk to all the main bars etc. Overall I wouldn't go back, I'd definitely choose to go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

had brillant holladay going to go back this year staff are frendlay and go out off thear way to help owners stay on hotel and make u part off the family which is ace ,and near to everything u need

Room Tip: lower roomes are good if u have kids and get a fan for ur room thay are cheep to rent from the hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tosunoglu Apart Otel? Share your experiences!